Sponsored

For those of you with families / kids, is it big enough?

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We plan to rock a 2 door for my family of 3. But we also have a Honda Accord
we’re getting a 4 door as the family car. it’s just us and two dogs at the moment. I also have an ‘18 accord too.
Sponsored

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wow, I know mom's that daily 1970's 911s with 2 kids in the back, I guess it is all perspective where you have lived or where you currently live.

A Ford Bronco is plenty big for 2 kids, especially for med/smaller adults in the front. I will be using it with 3 kids in the back and a cargo box on top for ski trips, but typically I own sports cars and have always drove my kids around.

I daily drove a BMW M3 Sedan for almost 5 years, doing 7 hour road trips frequently. Manual transmission, RWD, smallish car, 5 passengers, kids never said one word about the size of the car.
In fact, they were sad when I sold it. Whenever we hit a tunnel they wanted me to rev the engine...it was a blast. You will be fine with the Bronco.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We fit 3 kids across the back of my D2 in Diono Radian car seats. The listed legroom is higher in the D2, but there’s no way that’s accurate. I can’t sit behind myself at 6’0” without my knees in the back of the seat.

Dog sits in the way back comfortably. He’s only about 65 lbs though, and it’s cavernous back there.

We have a minivan for long hauls, but the Bronco will serve well for the short adventure trips we take.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We're a family of 6 + pooch-
Me
My wife
11 yo daughter
10 yo daughter
8 yo son
1 yo daughter
115lb Golden Retriever / Chow mix

My wife drives an Explorer, I drive a Flex. We know next Spring her car will become the fulltime family car, and we are all a-okay with that.

4 door Big Bend on order.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 7yr old in a booster seat. He’ll be fine back there. Plenty of room. The older kids rarely ride with us at all so im not too worried about them.

Sponsored

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve been concerned about the same thing as child seats are pretty bulky but 2 yr old is now forward facing which helps and my 7 year old is in a booster so he will have plenty of room. I know it’s gonna be smaller than my f150 but we usually use the wife’s car when it’s all of us. She’s got a 2019 expedition so as long as I can get in and be comfortable,( I’m 6’1” 260) the bronco will work for me

WkndEpic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fingers crossed that the rear seats recline. My 11 and 8 year old really appreciated that on the Expedition.

C2C1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll join the club. Since I have a company car (Charger) we are a one car family with a ‘17 Escape.

We have a 3yo and a 1yo with the third due late December. We will have more room than the Escape offers but if I decide it’s too tight for the period of time we have three car seats, will have to cancel the reservation and go Explorer. Trying to avoid that and just buy once, cry once with the Bronc.

the other option is to deeply research the “thin” car seats.

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think a Suburban would be big enough for a rambunctious 110lb dog that still thinks it's a puppy :). We are on the waiting list for a Ridgeback, and hope to receive both the Bronco and the Ridgeback around the same time in the spring.

I have three kids (11, 10 and 7), and I expect the back seat will be tight , but my seat will be nice and spacious!
Ha! He sure does! He is 18months and HAS to go wherever we go....sorta wish we had the space for two. you'll be doing the same. Might as well ask for two now :)

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone else too immature to respond like an adult to the question, "Is it big enough?"

Michael Scott syndrome over here . . .
Ya know, I thought about that before I posted...but figured it'd bring some eye balls to the thread ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is one of our concerns as well. Wife and I both reserved one but with two kids (3 & 6) I don't think it will work for the long road trips we like to take. I currently have an AT4 and she has a Telluride, if it wasn't for waiting so long for a new Bronco we would keep our current vehicles. The only Ford I have ever owned was an 86 Bronco, wife had always wanted a Jeep but when she saw the new Bronco she reserved one on her own. Whichever one of us ends up with one, we both want the Sasquatch package. My wife is 4'11" so that will be fun to watch her jump in and out.
I've heard good things about the Telluride. They were brand new when we got the Highlander, but I sorta have wish we had waited, although we got a good deal on the Highlander.

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The right size roof box and a trailer hitch box make storage for road trips a moot point. We have a Thule XT Rooftop Box which adds 22 cubic feet of storage, a Stowaway Max Hitch mounted storage box, and a cheap hitch mounted basket.

I had a 2017 Q7....30 months, 100K miles....couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was dream to drive and plenty of room in the back most of the time. The biggest gripe....there is ZERO, I mean ZERO storage. The armrest holds a pack of gum and that is about it. Not kidding. Day to day that got old. And the cupholders were not friendly for a 30 OZ yeti either. You would be better off in the VW Atlas as it is a far more utilitarian design and has much of the same tech and feel....though it doesn't have the 3.0 turbo. The largest Thule box and trailer hitch box fit fine on my Q7.
True, roof box for the win! It is also a huge help that we are out of the stroller phase, talk a bout a waste of cargo space.

I'm pretty keen on looking into some of the hitch mounted box options. Perhaps save some gas mileage/wind noise that way...but then we'd have to put bikes on the roof. Hmm. Ok, cargo box on the roof, bikes on the back. Done.

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

6'-1" and my Wife is 5'-9" we have a 1 year old and 30 lb spaniel and by the time i'm actually driving the Bronco we might be expecting baby #2. My wife drives a Model 3 so the Bronco will have to be the family car as well. I expect baby #2 to make it a tight fit but livable.
Yeah, its those rear facing car seats that mess everything up re: space. I think you'll be fine, until year 3 when they are in the convertible car seat and start kicking your seat and scuffing them up :)

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Traded in my F150 for a minvan. Wife, 3 boys (5, 4, 7mos), and a GSD. Wonderful decision for the practicality of it and perfect timing since we've only got the minivan right now and that saves me a payment to put towards the Bronco. Having the minivan is really the only way I can justify getting the Bronco with our family needs. In reality, our fun vacations will probably require we bring both vehicles. One to transport kids/luggage and the Bronco for the fun when we get to the destination.
Will the minivan tow the Bronco?! haha that'd be awesome.

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldn't expect much more out of the bronco than your alltrack. You may get a little more vertical but the length and width won't be much better. I look at the 2 dr and see widths and legroom similar to my wifes fiesta. The 4 door looks similar to my subaru imprezza.

Those big wheels take up a lot of space and the dimensions for width are out to out of flares and the length includes the spare.

I know everybody hates minivans - but when my kids were still at home it was great and doubled as a truck (ours could fit 4x8 sheets of drywall).
Soooo...Gen2 Raptor? :)
Sponsored