Sponsored

Ford claims flat towing our 4 mo. old Bronco destroyed the transmission (not covering under warranty)

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi @Runyon, since we purchased our new Badlands SAS last fall and I became of the @G6Bronco flat towing problem I have been diving into this forum to learn as much as I can. We really wanted to flat tow our new Bronco. Sadly we will not be doing that. The apparent risk is to high. I am almost done compiling a document of every one on this forum that has failures flat towing. To date I have found 11 case over 6 threads. You are the 12th. I was going to wait and share when I was done. I have a document highlighting their trial and tribulations, trying to learn as much as I can. And the I just have a list, with who, when, what. I will share at least the later soon.
I feel there are probably many other flat towing transmission failures besides those that come to these forums. This forum probably represent a small percentage of owners. I would look for threads on the RV forums like iRV2. Also RV owners who flat tow (usually class a diesel pusher owners) is often an older demographic who often times social media use is limited to Facebook.

I have mentioned it before, but my Bronco will be delivered shortly and Iā€™m really on the fence about trading our ā€˜22 Gladiator (very first non-ford weā€™ve owned). I HATE that Ford seems to be ignoring this issueā€¦ itā€™s quite depressing being a lifetime Ford owner and automotive enthusiast. I may be forced to abandon my brand.
Sponsored

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I believe there should be other reports of flat tow transmission/transfer case failures. Iā€™m one of those older demographic people. Never uses social media or forums for that matter. It was a lot of work to find 10 tow failures across 6 threads on this forum. Iā€™m done. Maybe someone can pick up where I left off.

We just bought a new badlands SAS this fall before we found out from @G6Bronco at a rally of the flat toe problems. I was hoping to learn what the root cause was and then come up with a work around. But there is not enough information on this forum. Ford, dealers, and forum users are not providing enough information.

We will not be towing out new Bronco. Instead we will continue tow our old (all mechanical) dodge Dakota. Disappointed.

To me the root cause has to be the tcase leaving its neutral state. Perhaps unknown to the reporting module. But again not enough information to know. Or the fact that the transmission has to be in neutral could be clue or link to the root case.

Last edited:

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would like to know if the malfunctions and failures are limited to one transfer case or the other (Advanced 4wd or not).

Chaddy

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport 3.5L, 2012 Raptor 6.2L
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They didnā€™t follow directions to flat tow. And to all those that say the gearboxes arenā€™t lubricated in flat tow are dead wrong. Itā€™s only the auto transmission that will get ruined if not put in flat tow mode. Transfer case and differentials are always lubricated the gears lay in the oil there is no pumps only in the auto transmission.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They didnā€™t follow directions to flat tow. And to all those that say the gearboxes arenā€™t lubricated in flat tow are dead wrong. Itā€™s only the auto transmission that will get ruined if not put in flat tow mode. Transfer case and differentials are always lubricated the gears lay in the oil there is no pumps only in the auto transmission.
You know they didnā€™t follow directions how? And Who said the gearboxes arenā€™t lubricated? Lol. Did you read the thread?

Too many trans failures to blame them all on users. Either the transfer cases are shifting back into gear or they were never actually in neutral to begin with. Sensors and shift motors do fail. impossible to know because the procedure is to leave the automatic transmission in neutral, so impossible to roll check before towing down the road. I can roll check my jeep because the trans is in park for towing.

Sponsored

Chaddy

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport 3.5L, 2012 Raptor 6.2L
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You know they didnā€™t follow directions how? And Who said the gearboxes arenā€™t lubricated? Lol. Did you read the thread?

Too many trans failures to blame them all on users. Either the transfer cases are shifting back into gear or they were never actually in neutral to begin with. Sensors and shift motors do fail. impossible to know because the procedure is to leave the automatic transmission in neutral, so impossible to roll check before towing down the road. I can roll check my jeep because the trans is in park for towing.
The vehicle states itā€™s in flat tow mode when done correctly. Ford would warranty it if it failed in said situation. I havenā€™t heard one customer saying I brought the Bronco in and it states itā€™s in tow mode and the dealer wonā€™t fix it. And Iā€™ve read in this thread multiple times that flat towing is bad on gearboxes and they arenā€™t getting lube because the car is off. That is incorrect.

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford just released this SSM this morning.

Jan 23 2024 New 2021-2024 Bronco - Stuck In Neutral Tow Mode - Built On Or Before 12-Jan 2024
Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode. This may be due to a concern with the all-wheel drive (AWD) module software. Make sure the proper procedure is being followed to exit neutral tow mode by referring to the Owner's Manual > Towing Your Vehicle > Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle. Make sure the vehicle's battery is fully charged and then diagnose all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in the AWD module. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-07A. If diagnostics do not resolve the concern or there are no DTCs present in the AWD module, reprogram the AWD module using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate section of the WSM. Once the repair is complete, verify the vehicle's ability to successfully enter and exit neutral tow mode by cycling the vehicle in and out of neutral tow mode a minimum of two times, allowing the vehicle to enter sleep mode (key-off for at least 5 minutes) between each cycle. This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design. For claiming, use causal part 7P238 and applicable labor operations in Section 07 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
SSM 52197

2ndgenirish

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this mean we, with Broncos built on or before 12-Jan-2024, should all visit a Ford shop for a software update?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does this mean we, with Broncos built on or before 12-Jan-2024, should all visit a Ford shop for a software update?
If you're planning on flat towing, I certainly would. I have no idea if this will solve all flat towing issues though. I'm just posting the information I saw.

Last edited:

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford just released this SSM this morning.

Jan 23 2024 New 2021-2024 Bronco - Stuck In Neutral Tow Mode - Built On Or Before 12-Jan 2024
Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode. This may be due to a concern with the all-wheel drive (AWD) module software. Make sure the proper procedure is being followed to exit neutral tow mode by referring to the Owner's Manual > Towing Your Vehicle > Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle. Make sure the vehicle's battery is fully charged and then diagnose all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in the AWD module. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-07A. If diagnostics do not resolve the concern or there are no DTCs present in the AWD module, reprogram the AWD module using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate section of the WSM. Once the repair is complete, verify the vehicle's ability to successfully enter and exit neutral tow mode by cycling the vehicle in and out of neutral tow mode a minimum of two times, allowing the vehicle to enter sleep mode (key-off for at least 5 minutes) between each cycle. This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design. For claiming, use causal part 7P238 and applicable labor operations in Section 07 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
SSM 52197
those of us who have paid FORD for destroyed transmissions should get refunds for repairs from faulty engineering. don't hold your breath. i have not found ford to be customer oriented at all.

Sponsored

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First @Ducati1098, please can you provide more on how we can all get this software update? Does it require dealer help?

Next, to you nay-sayers; Yes transmission are being destroyed while being flat towed. And Yes, owners are following the direction. This thread has way too much chatter and very little constructive help for the afflicted.

Everyone needs to watch the video of a man dissembling and repairing an advanced gen6 bronco transfer case. It is very revealing. And yes, differentials sit in oil and are self-lubricated. And from the video, it looks as though the output gears of an advanced tcase are perhaps self-lubricated as they sit low in the case. But the input gears sit high, thus they are apparently lubricated only by the pump that ride on its shaft as seen in the video. The video also does a good job of showing the advanced tcase clutch and how it works. It certainly gives concern that it could be disengaged under various circumstances (i.e. leaving a neutral state). At this point the input shaft would be lubricated by being driven by the output shaft while being towed. I am not an experienced mechanic but I do have a brain and lots of life experience. Watching the video is an education experience. Education is the key!

As the video may perhaps show how (e.g., by AWD module) the advanced tcase clutch is disengaging errantly, it does not explain how transmissions in neutral are destroyed. It must have something to do with lack of lubrication. But as I asked earlier, why does Ford require transmissions to be in natural while being flat towed? Humā€¦ I pull my old Dodge Dakota in park!

But finally knowing why, will not fix the problem. It helps me as an inquisitive person, but only FORD can fix the problem. And yes, I have suggestion of a fix, but it relies on assumptions and patchy information. So, I will not arm chair quarter back.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

First @Ducati1098, please can you provide more on how we can all get this software update? Does it require dealer help?
Yes, it would require your dealership to update the AWD module.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you're planning on flat towing, I certainly would. I have no idea if this will solve all flat towing issues though. I'm just posting the information I saw.
Is there anyway to find out if all / or the majority of the flat tow problems have been with the Advanced 4WD system? I saw some F150 Raptor flat tow transmission failures and fires on an RV forum a while back. Assume they all have Advanced 4wd.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is there anyway to find out if all / or the majority of the flat tow problems have been with the Advanced 4WD system? I saw some F150 Raptor flat tow transmission failures and fires on an RV forum a while back. Assume they all have Advanced 4wd.
Other than just asking anyone that had a failure, I donā€™t think there is anyway to find that kind of data.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So this is if it won't shift out of neutral tow, not issues of it somehow exiting neutral tow on it's own

"Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode."

And they specifically state it won't fix other issues.

" This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design"

So i don't think it will really be relevant to the transmission frying issue.

I'm going to be towing mine in a couple weeks and don't think I want them messing with something that has worked well for me so far so close to my departure date.
Sponsored