Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Agree. Did the cover when I did all fluids and not only does it look great it, it has a drain plug which is quick and easy.

20240414_161749.jpg
Sooo shiny while everything else grimy! :). Ooooh...and which chase light is that?
Sponsored

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drain mine on an 11% grade (driveway). I have truck chocks, not the cheap plastic ones but real ones that are rubber and used for Class 7-8 trucks. They meet the requirements for my industry and have been tested by NFPA, USFS, BLM, etc.......

One morning I was going salmon fishing and forgot that i placed them in front of the boat trailer tires. Thing would not move and at first thought the trailer brakes were frozen. My 3/4 diesel should have dragged it out even so but it would not budge. About to put the truck in 4 low when it dawned on me........Ooooops.
Blind testing gives unbiased results. Thanks for the science :thumbsup:
Why is it always just the rear cover? Is there a reason no one swaps out the front? Having 2 different cover designs would trigger me.

Last edited:

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sooo shiny while everything else grimy! :). Ooooh...and which chase light is that?
Diode dynamic reverse light and red brake light. Works good and easy to install just plugs into trailer harness.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally got the cover. Gave up on FPP (Ford Performance Parts), my f’ing points, and my dealer and bought a cover on-line @ full price.

Here are my observations/opinions on the cover:

1) Cosmetically, major bonus points and style points. Not too flashy, but it is there….

2). Very will made and comes with the proper bolts including the threaded studs for the brake line clips.

3) Well packaged!

4) The installation went flawlessly. Draining of the fluid with the original equipment cover was messy. How come you never have a rag handy when you need one?

5). The original fluid was clean…. 28,200 miles. The oil in the untrainable portion in the bottom of the housing was fairly black. It appeared to me that the housing was designed for a bottom drain as several ounces of gear oil remain in the low spot of the Dana housing.

6) If you want to utilize the drain in the FFP housing to its fullest extent, you will have to do some grinding. From the photos, you can see that the way the drain system is fabricated, it forms about a 3/8” damn.. At 60,000 miles, I will probably again remove the cover and grind out the drain to reduce the amount of untrainable oil.

7) The Motorcraft Synthetic Gear Oil, $$$$$$, is very light colored.

Ready to hit the back country!!!

IMG_3472.jpeg
IMG_3471.jpeg
IMG_3469.jpeg
IMG_3470.jpeg
I’m confused. Where is the drain plug? There are two plugs on the rear separated by an inch or so. Is the bottom one the drain? Or is the drain on the bottom facing down? If yes why are there two “fill” plugs?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m confused. Where is the drain plug? There are two plugs on the rear separated by an inch or so. Is the bottom one the drain? Or is the drain on the bottom facing down? If yes why are there two “fill” plugs?
It's on the bottom facing down.

The two plugs are for both "new" and "has been in service" axles.

Never had oil? Fill to top plug.

Had oil? Fill to the bottom plug.

EDITING TO ADD:

If you have a 3.5" lift or higher, you should fill to the top hole no matter if it ever had oil or not. The rotation of the axle will mean filling to the lower hole will result in a low fluid level.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why is it always just the rear cover? Is there a reason no one swaps out the front? Having 2 different cover designs would trigger me.
No way to install a front cover on a Bronco.

EDIT - but the housing is cast iron so it is as strong if not stronger than a cover--i.e. no cover needed.

Last edited:

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Look at the pics by the OP. The drain is pretty obvious at the bottom. Someone more knowledgeable can answer the two fill plugs. Since the cover fits multiple vehicles that may be why.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No way to install a front cover on a Bronco.
And the front differential already has a drain plug, but the rear differential does not.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Rear Differential Cover Installed Impressions Front Differential Drain Plu

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

At 60,000 miles, I will probably again remove the cover and grind out the drain to reduce the amount of untrainable oil.
Wonder if it will better if you get different oil that can be trained. Doesn’t need to do tricks, just behave a little better. 🤣

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

?? Not sure that anyone makes a front cover...........besides as Carbon pointed out, it has a drain, rear does not.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yeah, 4 am before coffee is a blind test to say the least...........

Reduced my rear tire mileage by about 500 miles...that's what you get with nothing in the bed and at least 600 ft lbs of torque pulling on a stationary object.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're not towing, or just doing light towing on occasion, the Ford recommended is A-Okay. If you're doing heavy towing, you ought to be using the thicker oil in the rear. I don't know if Ford's literature says that, but it ought to.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's on the bottom facing down.

The two plugs are for both "new" and "has been in service" axles.

Can you please add some information to the difference between these 2?

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Finally got the cover. Gave up on FPP (Ford Performance Parts), my f’ing points, and my dealer and bought a cover on-line @ full price.

Here are my observations/opinions on the cover:

1) Cosmetically, major bonus points and style points. Not too flashy, but it is there….

2). Very will made and comes with the proper bolts including the threaded studs for the brake line clips.

3) Well packaged!

4) The installation went flawlessly. Draining of the fluid with the original equipment cover was messy. How come you never have a rag handy when you need one?

5). The original fluid was clean…. 28,200 miles. The oil in the untrainable portion in the bottom of the housing was fairly black. It appeared to me that the housing was designed for a bottom drain as several ounces of gear oil remain in the low spot of the Dana housing.

6) If you want to utilize the drain in the FFP housing to its fullest extent, you will have to do some grinding. From the photos, you can see that the way the drain system is fabricated, it forms about a 3/8” damn.. At 60,000 miles, I will probably again remove the cover and grind out the drain to reduce the amount of untrainable oil.

7) The Motorcraft Synthetic Gear Oil, $$$$$$, is very light colored.

Ready to hit the back country!!!

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Rear Differential Cover Installed Impressions Front Differential Drain Plu
Great idea to do this, can you please provide part numbers for the cover and oil
Sorry I cant read the stamp on the inside of the cover
Where did you end up buying it? Your dealer where?
TY!!
Sponsored