Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like the look of the Ford Performance warn winch mount but I don't want to pay for the Warn on it. Is it possible to just find the mount? I just swapped my plastic bumper for the capable bumper and I want to put a winch mount on it. I like the combo winch mount and mini safari bar.

Other ideas? Maybe the Buckle up winch mount? RC high mount and a safari bar?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately it's an all-or-nothing on the Ford Performance winch mount. Although I will say the winch it comes with is solid.

There are many other winch mounts—you've already named a few—Rough Country, JCR, IAG, etc. The Buckle-Up winch mount is nothing particularly special honestly, it's just the generic Chinese white-labeled mount that's sold by many other companies like Mabett. Same mount, just with the label on the box changed. That said... people who have bought it seem to be okay with it, so I guess it's okay?

The biggest issue with the majority of the aftermarket winch mounts is they do not properly reinforce the frame horns. So if you really go tugging with your winch you risk bending the front bumper and/or frame horns. The Ford Performance mount DOES properly reinforce the frame horns, which is a big reason why I personally went with that kit. But if this winch is more of a "for looks" sorta thing and/or you don't anticipate getting yourself stuck in really bad situations, then you don't necessarily need those reinforcements.

@Tricky Dick used to sell frame horn reinforcements on his website that could be used with a bunch of aftermarket mounts. But he's since discontinued those, and I don't know if there are alternatives.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the look of the Ford Performance warn winch mount but I don't want to pay for the Warn on it. Is it possible to just find the mount? I just swapped my plastic bumper for the capable bumper and I want to put a winch mount on it. I like the combo winch mount and mini safari bar.

Other ideas? Maybe the Buckle up winch mount? RC high mount and a safari bar?
I second RagnarKon on this one. I also bought the FP/Warn package and can tell you it is very well designed. One thing though with that package, no concessions were made for things like camera and parking sensors, and adaptive cruise. So if you have a bunch of those fancy options and don't want to lose them, you may want to consider another mount. I didn't order any of those options so it was a perfect deal. CJ Pony Parts was my source and the price was great! Full install and review video coming soon.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread has everything you'd want to know about the RC High Winch mount, control box relocation, and front facing camera ideas. IMO the RC High Winch Mount is the best looking option of all the "bolt to the factory bumper" winch solutions out there. It plays well with the factory lines/looks, offers the most approach angle, is made in the USA and it does not impede adaptive cruise control nor the front facing parking sensors. I wasn't aware the @Tricky Mike was no longer making his frame horn reinforcements but these from Addictive Desert Designs should suffice. No matter what winch solution you add to your Bronco, I'd recommend reinforcing the frame horns. Here's a video of DV8 Offroad (DV8's channel) getting their bumper bent by Matt's Off Road Recovery which kind of illustrates the weakness in the frame horns. You can find MORR's version on their channel somewhere.

If you're on a budget:
You already added the HD steel bumper
RC High Winch Mount - $210
Apex Badland 12k Winch - $540
ADD Frame Horn Reinforcement - $150 bucks

If you do the labor yourself, you've got a secure and good looking winch option for less that $900 as opposed to the factory $3500 which looks kind bleh in my opinion.

On my setup, I went a little higher end and added the Warn Zeon 10s (I got it for like 1100 bucks), a Baja Designs lightbar ($400 maybe? I don't remember), Turn Offroad Camera relocation, RC high winch, tricky frame horn reinforcement, Warn control Box relocation kit, Yankum fairlead, and other miscellaneous expenses. All told I think I came in less than $2,500 and I have a great looking setup with some premium components that allows the sensors, ACC and front camera to all work flawlessly. I took advantage of some great black friday deals and other discounts (for some reason Warn's black friday deal stacked with the OnX Off Road discount so I saved a ton of money on it).

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wasn't aware the @Tricky Mike was no longer making his frame horn reinforcements
They might make a comeback, requests have been through the roof since that Raptor had its bumper ripped off. I just have to find a way to trim cost a little....or raise the price.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tmurder1776

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This thread has everything you'd want to know about the RC High Winch mount, control box relocation, and front facing camera ideas. IMO the RC High Winch Mount is the best looking option of all the "bolt to the factory bumper" winch solutions out there. It plays well with the factory lines/looks, offers the most approach angle, is made in the USA and it does not impede adaptive cruise control nor the front facing parking sensors. I wasn't aware the @Tricky Mike was no longer making his frame horn reinforcements but these from Addictive Desert Designs should suffice. No matter what winch solution you add to your Bronco, I'd recommend reinforcing the frame horns. Here's a video of DV8 Offroad (DV8's channel) getting their bumper bent by Matt's Off Road Recovery which kind of illustrates the weakness in the frame horns. You can find MORR's version on their channel somewhere.

If you're on a budget:
You already added the HD steel bumper
RC High Winch Mount - $210
Apex Badland 12k Winch - $540
ADD Frame Horn Reinforcement - $150 bucks

If you do the labor yourself, you've got a secure and good looking winch option for less that $900 as opposed to the factory $3500 which looks kind bleh in my opinion.

On my setup, I went a little higher end and added the Warn Zeon 10s (I got it for like 1100 bucks), a Baja Designs lightbar ($400 maybe? I don't remember), Turn Offroad Camera relocation, RC high winch, tricky frame horn reinforcement, Warn control Box relocation kit, Yankum fairlead, and other miscellaneous expenses. All told I think I came in less than $2,500 and I have a great looking setup with some premium components that allows the sensors, ACC and front camera to all work flawlessly. I took advantage of some great black friday deals and other discounts (for some reason Warn's black friday deal stacked with the OnX Off Road discount so I saved a ton of money on it).
This might be the way for me. I did see someone mounted both the winch and the safari bar (I want the safari bar to mount my license plate to.)

OP
OP
Tmurder1776

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I second RagnarKon on this one. I also bought the FP/Warn package and can tell you it is very well designed. One thing though with that package, no concessions were made for things like camera and parking sensors, and adaptive cruise. So if you have a bunch of those fancy options and don't want to lose them, you may want to consider another mount. I didn't order any of those options so it was a perfect deal. CJ Pony Parts was my source and the price was great! Full install and review video coming soon.
I have a base model, so there is no wiring to deal with, so at least that doesn't limit me.

OP
OP
Tmurder1776

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unfortunately it's an all-or-nothing on the Ford Performance winch mount. Although I will say the winch it comes with is solid.

There are many other winch mounts—you've already named a few—Rough Country, JCR, IAG, etc. The Buckle-Up winch mount is nothing particularly special honestly, it's just the generic Chinese white-labeled mount that's sold by many other companies like Mabett. Same mount, just with the label on the box changed. That said... people who have bought it seem to be okay with it, so I guess it's okay?

The biggest issue with the majority of the aftermarket winch mounts is they do not properly reinforce the frame horns. So if you really go tugging with your winch you risk bending the front bumper and/or frame horns. The Ford Performance mount DOES properly reinforce the frame horns, which is a big reason why I personally went with that kit. But if this winch is more of a "for looks" sorta thing and/or you don't anticipate getting yourself stuck in really bad situations, then you don't necessarily need those reinforcements.

@Tricky Dick used to sell frame horn reinforcements on his website that could be used with a bunch of aftermarket mounts. But he's since discontinued those, and I don't know if there are alternatives.
I thought it looked like it was similar to some amazon specials, which, have not been good to me in the past. I may look for deals with the Warn, but I'm leaning towards the RC high mount and frame reinforcement now.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factory winch is now $2600—just FYI for everyone.

I think a lot of people looked at the $3500 launch price and promptly forgot it existed—myself included. But last summer they dropped the price to $2600. Once you include the frequent 10-20% discounts on Ford Accessories, the ability to use FordPass points, and the free shipping to your dealer it starts to make a LOT more sense than it did in the past. I ended up paying around $1900 when all was said and done.

Unfortunately no camera or sensor relocation though. So for a lot of people I think it is still an instant disqualification, even with the lower price.

---

Also—good tip on the frame horn reinforcements from ADD. Didn't know those existed. (y)

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factory winch is now $2600—just FYI for everyone.

I think a lot of people looked at the $3500 launch price and promptly forgot it existed—myself included. But last summer they dropped the price to $2600. Once you include the frequent 10-20% discounts on Ford Accessories, the ability to use FordPass points, and the free shipping to your dealer it starts to make a LOT more sense than it did in the past. I ended up paying around $1900 when all was said and done.

Unfortunately no camera or sensor relocation though. So for a lot of people I think it is still an instant disqualification, even with the lower price.

---

Also—good tip on the frame horn reinforcements from ADD. Didn't know those existed. (y)
I didn't know they dropped the price. 2,600 is much more palatable but still a little steep for what you can do aftermarket. Ford kind of shot themselves in the foot but losing the techy goodies like ACC and the front camera with their winch solution.

Sponsored

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They might make a comeback, requests have been through the roof since that Raptor had its bumper ripped off. I just have to find a way to trim cost a little....or raise the price.
I’d pay more. Put me on a list:)

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The “unique” warn winch - is that closer to an Evo or Zeon?

For the price I would expect the latter, but I also wouldn’t put it past Ford to throw the $600 Chinese one on there too.

If it’s a Zeon then that isn’t a horrible price. If it’s an Evo then 
 nope

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

For the price I would expect the latter, but I also wouldn’t put it past Ford to throw the $600 Chinese one on there too.

nope
Zeon 10S from what I understand

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nope
Yup, it's the Zeon 10S with a custom fairlead.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yup, it's the Zeon 10S with a custom fairlead.
Nice.

Any idea what these might be about?

1. Requires Airbag Safety System software update to ensure proper airbag deployment. Requires Ford Vehicle Software for Installation*
2. Must have a Modular Front Bumper as a Factory Option. The winch is NOT compatible with Modular Front Bumpers added after the sale
3. LED Headlamps with LED Signature Lighting are required for FMVSS compliance. Winch placement affects the forward lighting projected performance. Only available on Big Bend, Outer Banks, Badlands, and Wildtrak.

Is #1 just Ford being caution, since I'm not aware of any other winch system that mentions anything like this, or seen anywhere where Ford recommends this if you install any other aftermarket winch.

And #2 - would that be the intercooler mount maybe? Since on at least the plastic bumper it has the tow hook built into it (not sure what would stop you from a capable bumper -> mod swap though). I can't think of anything else that would necessarily be different off the top of my head.

#3 is ... yeah. Just gonna ignore that one for now. I can adjust headlights, and can't think of any reason why the regular headlamps couldn't be adjusted if needed ... besides, adding a winch would tend to increase the rake anyway.
Sponsored