Sponsored

From an F150 to a Bronco, tell me it’ll be okay!

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well the boss finally gave her blessing for me to put down a deposit on a new Bronco. I told her with my “wants” it’ll be 6-1months before i get it haha
Plan to do Obx, 2.7, MIC, Lux, Tow.

However, the new Ranger is the more “practical” option. I’m worried bout not having a truck bed… I’m trying to think back to the times I used my truck bed the last year or so and I can only think of 2 times I couldn’t have pulled it off with an SUV…
For those that came from a truck to a Bronco, any regrets? Have you found that the transition was easy?
I don’t “need” a new vehicle but I sure has hell want a Bronco!
Hmm...well I went from a 2011 Ranger to a Bronco. So unlike the guy commenting below about ride quality, mine vastly improved. I daily drive a '21 Explorer for work and the Bronco is definitely not as smooth and quiet while driving, but is still as comfortable interior/seating wise. I've never owned a pampery laden F-150 so I don't know what I'm missing in that aspect. I did love having the Ranger bed for things and I probably would not have been able to do a few things in the last year without a truck bed....but only a few things like when I bought a large rolling toolbox or renovated a bedroom and had to make a dump run with a truck bed full of flooring/wood/drywall and such. I'm probably going to pick up a utility trailer which would actually be better than my ranger because it could be wider and longer and have a higher payload. Until then, my neighbor and friends have enough trucks that I can trade booze for [truck]beds if needed. Just do it and don't look back you'll be happy, I promise. I was still twisted up about it right up until the point I drove it home from the dealership and now I'm just in love.
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My compromise is to keep our 2019 F150 and to sell my wife’s Compass. We’ll trade off on what vehicle we drive, and when, though I suspect she’ll latch onto the Bronco like she did onto our 2013 Focus ST when we had it!

I use the box regularly to haul dirt bikes, mtn bikes, skis, boxes etc so the only other alternative was to get a utility trailer to haul behind the Bronco, as some have already suggested. That would work but we really don’t need two SUV-style vehicles.

Another suggestion - after getting your Bronco perhaps you could find an older, cheaper pickup to buy for “pickup stuff”…

PorkchopExpress

Outer Banks
First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco,Toyota Supra LE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will be going from a Tundra to a Bronco. It will be the smallest SUV or truck ive ever owned. Definitely going to be trade offs. However the nostalgia factor is big for me as my other ride is a Supra.

Mackie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford 150 Lariat 3.5L Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Bronco seems to be an emotional purchase consideration (me included!) like a Mustang only with 12 month usage, 4 full size adult accommodation and utility. Its that fun to drive factor.

however, comparing to my 2018 supercrew F150 Lariat 4x4 with 3.5L ecoboost:

1. 3500 lb towing limit is an issue
2. Smaller 17-21 gallon fuel tank (36 gallon is nice)
3. Around 1-2 MPG worse fuel economy
4. Road and wind noise for longer road trips
5. Bed utility when needed (utility trailers are a pain).

For me a 4500 pound boat/motor/trailer/gas load means the Bronco option won’t substitute .

Still trying to make a 2 door Bronco work and keep the F150 but I’m somewhat maxed out in both garages and hate to park outside.

I also think the 2 door Bronco with 2.7L and Sasquatch pushes the ‘fun to drive’ button a little harder.

PS: I see that the Land Rover Defender has a 8500 lb tow capacity and air suspension option (with a big price up, questionable quality and love it or leave it styling). Where I love that Bronco remained true to its off road roots, i really wish there was a more capable on road version because the form factor is so captivating.

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well the boss finally gave her blessing for me to put down a deposit on a new Bronco. I told her with my “wants” it’ll be 6-1months before i get it haha

However, the new Ranger is the more “practical” option. I’m worried bout not having a truck bed… I’m trying to think back to the times I used my truck bed the last year or so and I can only think of 2 times I couldn’t have pulled it off with an SUV…
For those that came from a truck to a Bronco, any regrets? Have you found that the transition was easy?
Let me say, I'm a firm believer that every family needs a truck [let the debate begin]. :) Oh, and if you are going to have a truck, it "needs" to be a 4x4. After spending countless hours debating the truck bed vs. SUV use and versatility, I've come to the conclusion [perhaps because I was trying to justify my desire for the Bronco :) ]

Bronco vs. Pickup:

Daily driver: On the average, I need more passenger space than cargo space
Top off driving - big draw to the Bronco for us

For Hauling: a utility trailer will fulfil "truck" needs for hauling - even a 5x8 utility trailer will haul more than a standard full size pickup. (volume, maybe not weight). There are cons to a utility trailer "solution":
* logistics of storing - if you have no where to park a trailer, well, this is not an option
* having to plan hauling [can't just stop in and pick something up], etc.
* buy vs. rent - If you don't buy a trailer added complications of finding a rental.

Towing - the Bronco's 3500lb towing is a limiting factor for us as we are looking to purchase an Airstream tow behind and finding one that fits the Bronco's rated capacity really restricts model and size.

As you can imagine, lots of factors weigh in on the decision between truck and suv for us [and probably many]. However, in the end, the Bronco edged out a pickup for our next vehicle decision. Best solution, perhaps 1 of each :)

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I agree with those telling you to use a utility trailer. If you're only towing it twice a year I wouldn't even buy one but rent it as needed. You'd cut the need for home storage and you could get a few years worth of rentals before the rent vs. buy cost crossover happens.

Only reason I'd buy the trailer is if you have a dedicated place to park it or if you have enough anxiety that you'd need to pull a load at a moments notice.

Reactions: rws

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I think 90% of pickup owners don't need a pickup.
You'll love the Bronco!

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I plan to keep my 2017 F150 super crew for hauling and towing and the fact I can take 5 adults comfortably. Will add the Bronco for the open air experience with top and doors off. We wanted a Mustang convertible but they are just too small for me. Also hard to get into and out of, Bronco will fit perfectly.

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had a Tundra for 13 years before I went to my JLU. Honestly, my wife’s minivan is used for most of the truck duty stuff now. I don’t tow anything and the minivan has a ton of space and enough payload.

OP
OP

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree with those telling you to use a utility trailer. If you're only towing it twice a year I wouldn't even buy one but rent it as needed. You'd cut the need for home storage and you could get a few years worth of rentals before the rent vs. buy cost crossover happens.

Only reason I'd buy the trailer is if you have a dedicated place to park it or if you have enough anxiety that you'd need to pull a load at a moments notice.
Enough anxiety haha you got that right bahaha
I will probably pick up a cheapey HF folding trailer. No room to store a full sized one and the HF (while probably questionable quality) will give me a 24" x 48" footprint for storing, which i can do, and be available when i ineed it. a lot of my purchases are impulse :)

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I currently have a 2010 F-150 Regular Cab 4x4. I use it like a truck, so my Bronco will definitely be a huge change. I agree that many trucks are not used/needed all that often, but sometimes you just need a truck to get something done (recently purchased new appliances and could not pick them up with an SUV, Christmas tree is so much easier to get with a truck vs. SUV). We have debated this as well and decided that if/when we absolutely need a truck, we will rent one from Enterprise ($75/day). Not a bad trade-off to be driving a Bronco 365 days/year! You can always get a small trailer if you really miss it!
If you already have a paid off “beater” why not keep it and have both. I have a regular cab 8ft bed as well as my daily and it sure comes in handy the 8-10 times I need it a year not to mention it’s an extra vehicle to spread miles on…..

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond; Jeep Grand Chero; BMW X5M
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I sold my Ram 1500 when my Bronco came in. My original plan was to keep it, but with truck prices through the roof it made too much economic sense to sell it. I was able to sell it for double of what it would have normally been worth.

I do have a utility trailer and that helped justify the move. That said, in the spring/summer I used the truck bed on pretty much a daily basis, and I don't plan to pull the trailer that much. So we'll see how the stuff jams in the back of the Bronco over the next year.

I love the Bronco and don't regret the move, but overall I'm still on the fence about not having a truck. I have a Grand Cherokee that I use for work that I intend to give the kids once they start driving and it is beat down, so my guess is at that point I'll pick up something in the Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado class to fill the void.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I plan to keep my 2017 F150 super crew for hauling and towing and the fact I can take 5 adults comfortably. Will add the Bronco for the open air experience with top and doors off. We wanted a Mustang convertible but they are just too small for me. Also hard to get into and out of, Bronco will fit perfectly.
Happy to hear that the Bronco is the best fit for your family. Thank you for the support!

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I wasn't fortunate to have a company owned Pickup, I'm not sure I'd be getting a Bronco, I just use the bed on my F150 a whole lot.