Sponsored

Front Unit Bearings Safe to run without a CV?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So this week the trail discussion was about running without the cv-shaft installed. After some back and forth we ultimately decided to run with a stub shaft. As we where looking at 1000+ mile drive home it was kind of not worth the risk.
PXL_20231122_160722779.jpg

The unit bearing looks like a solid center with no seams. Not sure if a stub shaft is required? Anyone got more incite into our factory unit bearing?
Sponsored

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After breaking my front diff and waiting months for the Ultimate FDU I have plenty of experience. I ran for months with no CVs installed.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After breaking my front diff and waiting months for the Ultimate FDU I have plenty of experience. I ran for months with no CVs installed.
And I will call that proof you don't need one.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, that is surprising as most unit wheel bearings (edit) I'm familiar with need the clamping force to stay together.
Thanks for the intel.

Last edited:

jeff in ohio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wow, that is surprising as most unit wheel bearings need the clamping force to stay together.
Thanks for the intel.
That is false. I have met the person that "invented" the modern hub bearing during my long career. Todays "Unit" bearings are now referred to as "hub bearings". All Ford truck products are all formed hub and have been that way for over 20 years. Some companies use a tradiational "unit" bearing (see the 1967 version in the brochure) pressed into the steering knuckle, which then has a hub that goes thru them that is retained with a nut (in 2WD case) or retained by the CV shaft (4wd vehicle). Toyota does this...they also use one where the "cup" bolts to the steering knuckle and still need a hub and nut or a CV shaft (see pic under 1999 on the timeline) ...but Ford does not. Ford 4wd has splines for the cv shaft...2wd does not....both are formed hub...both need nothing to hold them together.

at_the_center_of_the_hub_evolution.pdf (dtcomponents.com)

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is false. I have met the person that "invented" the modern hub bearing during my long career. Todays "Unit" bearings are now referred to as "hub bearings". All Ford truck products are all formed hub and have been that way for over 20 years. Some companies use a tradiational "unit" bearing (see the 1967 version in the brochure) pressed into the steering knuckle, which then has a hub that goes thru them that is retained with a nut (in 2WD case) or retained by the CV shaft (4wd vehicle). Toyota does this...they also use one where the "cup" bolts to the steering knuckle and still need a hub and nut or a CV shaft (see pic under 1999 on the timeline) ...but Ford does not. Ford 4wd has splines for the cv shaft...2wd does not....both are formed hub...both need nothing to hold them together.

This is excellent information and needs to be sticki-fied. I too was also wondering if I could just pull a broken CV axle and get home in 2WD. Thanks for the info!

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So this week the trail discussion was about running without the cv-shaft installed. After some back and forth we ultimately decided to run with a stub shaft. As we where looking at 1000+ mile drive home it was kind of not worth the risk.

The unit bearing looks like a solid center with no seams. Not sure if a stub shaft is required? Anyone got more incite into our factory unit bearing?
Excellent question, as you know I drove home from Moab 890 miles after breaking both CV's we put both stub shaft in just to be safe.

Ford Bronco Front Unit Bearings Safe to run without a CV? thumbnail (7)

jeff in ohio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The used one is off a standard Bronco (The Raptor Bronco is larger and made by a different supplier, but is still a formed hub) …the new ones are off a 2wd and 4wd ranger. You can clearly see in all of them how the hub is formed over the seal trapping everything together as an assembly. The two wheel drive has no splines and a plug in place to keep crud out of the hollow interior of the hub where the splines would be in a 4wd version. I know this because I have held them in my hand.

Ford Bronco Front Unit Bearings Safe to run without a CV? 4FC9A901-BF71-4794-949F-B2892792BF98

Ford Bronco Front Unit Bearings Safe to run without a CV? D89359E5-BEBD-407C-9C19-F2E28537D523

Ford Bronco Front Unit Bearings Safe to run without a CV? 1E980F17-AB45-4302-A6E6-A732D7D981AC

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And I will call that proof you don't need one.
In all fairness he said that his front hub was broken... So how would one know driving without the CVs "hurt anything" :)

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

pull busted CV, add gorilla tape to FDU, drive home :)

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to know.
I guess that is what happens when the Fords you had were a 76 Bronco an 86 F-250 (Hub bearings on both) and haven't owned a Ford since & most of your experience comes from working on old Jeeps. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the education 🤠.

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good to know.