Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Solid parenting. Respect to you, sir.
It is increasingly difficult to teach the "value and worth" of anything these days to most.
In a world of "It's not fair." and "I want it, so I deserve it.", commendable approach for sure for you and your son.
Best of luck to him, and I hope he is successful at whatever he aims for. He already has an awesome role model, so he's already a step ahead of the game.
Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A football scholarship and a new Bronco. Life is rough but someone has to do it. I hope he realizes what he is being given. Many work for years and save for what is being handed to him.
He has worked for years for what he is getting. This is why it is so great. He was given the opportunity to do for himself and he did. As far as I am concerned, he has paid for that Bronco with his hard work and dedication. No different than if he got a job and saved the money.
@soonerbronco

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fellow broncoā€™ers! My son and I just got back from PA. We had a great (and easy experience) picking it up from Chapman Ford. We drove back his 4 Door OBX 2.3 hardtop 670 miles to Knoxville. Averaged 21.7 MPG.

Since Iā€™ve had my 4 door BL 2.7 softtop since July, Iā€™ve got a pretty good feel for the truck as well as the driving dynamics.

I was expecting a lot of hardtop noise; squeaks and rattles based on reading B6G posts. I was sorely disappointedā€¦. Not a single rattle, squeak, or pop from his OBX. Ford must have listened and corrected the issues that others were (and maybe still are having). The OBX hardtop was quieter than my soft top (as it should be). In all fairness, my BL has 34ā€ BFG M/Ts which create a fair amount of road noise, especially at interstate speeds. I do notice more noise from the 4 banger under acceleration. Much better than I expected. At least it doesnā€™t sound like my wifeā€™s previous car (Volvo XC90 with supercharged 4 cylinder). I sold that car because it sounded like my John Deere diesel farm tractor on a cold morning. Not kidding.

In summary, I was very pleased and impressed with the 4 cylinder hardtop. His truck was blended on 10/25. I wanted the soft-top on my BL from the beginning so I donā€™t regret it. The hardtop is more of a security issue when he is away at college.

BTW, I was surprised by the torque and responsiveness of his 4 cylinder. Way better than I expected. I let him order the truck as he wished (he had to keep the sticker under $50k). Saved enough money at Chapman to upgrade his wheels, tires, pod lights. and bumper. (He is getting my Mod bumper and Iā€™m getting an ARB).

8955BA85-C2AC-4971-95CD-FFDB7793D554 (1).jpeg
Getting your child a reliable car when going off to college is a wonderful, age-old tradition. My mother gave me her 1968 Scout when I went to college (Cooking School CIA) in 1971, and in 1976 I bought my own new Scout! It was a modern scout with Auto Trans, carpeting and AC, compared to the very basic mid-1960s scout. Its just that now, the cars cost more!

RE: the MIC roof, I have it in my OBX 2.7, a Purgatory MIC II replacement (July 21/Oct 7). The MIC roof is of excellent quality and function, no rattles, noise or leaks. The front panels fit behind the front seat. I got a storage bag for the mid panel!

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup. Both reserved first day. Hard top was delayed about 5 times. The wait on the OBX worked out for us because my sonā€™s truck had to be ā€œearnedā€ via college scholarship. He got his first offer a few weeks ago. Everything is screwed up and delayed this year because of NCAA COVID eligibility rules. He still canā€™t drive it daily until he commits to an offer commensurate with the cost of the truck. Iā€™m trying to create a learning moment. If he doesnā€™t accept and commitā€¦.. the OBX will be sold and he will go back to his 24 y/o Toyota.
What sport is he playing? My parents did a similar deal with me, but I got a Fusion instead of a Bronco. It's impossible to work a job when you have 40+ hours of practice, travel, and game time in a week.

Sponsored

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wasn't trying to show off... I was trying to provide some insight (and hopefully a little comfort) to those still waiting on a hard top. The hard top (at least the one I have) is way better than I expected. I'm driving it today, in heavy rain, to check for leaks.... so far, so good... I didn't mean to piss anyone off....

As far as my son goes.... I told him 5 years ago when he started to show some talent and as a carrot to bust his ass on and off the field, "you get a scholarship to college and I'll get you a new truck." It worked. He focused, stayed out of trouble, and worked hard; way harder than a lot of his friends who were sleeping in when he was in the gym. It's a win-win, I save a ton of money on his education and he gets to play the sport he loves (and drive his dream truck).
Our youngest got an Academic Scholarship to continue on from his BS to his PhD, along with a research job on campus. He's pretty much carrying his own weight.

My (yet undelivered) 2021 Badlands is in my will to him. That's about as close as we got to this....

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Better keep the 24YO Toyota for when the Bronco is in the shop. Hope the broncos last that long.
This kind of comments makes me wonder why this kind of people is getting a Bronco?

Completely unproductive comment IMHO.

SoCalDawg

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX 460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™ve talked to several owners with the new hard top and they really like it. I asked about fit and rattles. Said fit was good and there are parts that can come loose but they can be tightened.

Orf

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2017 F-250, 2018 Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Went from rolling my eyes during post #1, to parenting respect in post #4.

Congrats to him, and to you for not taking his scholarship as your windfall. I have a similar set up with my oldest daughter, who is paying her way through school as an RA, a TA, and with jobs during semester breaks. I told her the money would either go to her school, or to her bank account.

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Fellow broncoā€™ers! My son and I just got back from PA. We had a great (and easy experience) picking it up from Chapman Ford. We drove back his 4 Door OBX 2.3 hardtop 670 miles to Knoxville. Averaged 21.7 MPG.

Since Iā€™ve had my 4 door BL 2.7 softtop since July, Iā€™ve got a pretty good feel for the truck as well as the driving dynamics.

I was expecting a lot of hardtop noise; squeaks and rattles based on reading B6G posts. I was sorely disappointedā€¦. Not a single rattle, squeak, or pop from his OBX. Ford must have listened and corrected the issues that others were (and maybe still are having). The OBX hardtop was quieter than my soft top (as it should be). In all fairness, my BL has 34ā€ BFG M/Ts which create a fair amount of road noise, especially at interstate speeds. I do notice more noise from the 4 banger under acceleration. Much better than I expected. At least it doesnā€™t sound like my wifeā€™s previous car (Volvo XC90 with supercharged 4 cylinder). I sold that car because it sounded like my John Deere diesel farm tractor on a cold morning. Not kidding.

In summary, I was very pleased and impressed with the 4 cylinder hardtop. His truck was blended on 10/25. I wanted the soft-top on my BL from the beginning so I donā€™t regret it. The hardtop is more of a security issue when he is away at college.

BTW, I was surprised by the torque and responsiveness of his 4 cylinder. Way better than I expected. I let him order the truck as he wished (he had to keep the sticker under $50k). Saved enough money at Chapman to upgrade his wheels, tires, pod lights. and bumper. (He is getting my Mod bumper and Iā€™m getting an ARB).

8955BA85-C2AC-4971-95CD-FFDB7793D554 (1).jpeg
How long did it take to get your Broncos from the blend date?

Sponsored

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My hardtop makes some popping noises, but only on cold days. If yours is similar, in TN you probably won't have an issue.

I can't imagine someone buying their child a 50k vehicle. Do you need another son?
I think the real question is: Are you looking for a Daddy?

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 1995 EB bronco and 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like it! i did the same with my son, deal was you get 30 or higher on ACT, i'll buy you a new mustang. He got 34, free college bout to graduate in mechanical engineering has multiple job offers. still driving the 16 mustang with 34K on it no issues. prolly be giving him my 21 bronco in May when he graduates. It's still OK to do well and be successful!

OP
OP
soonerbronco

soonerbronco

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What sport is he playing? My parents did a similar deal with me, but I got a Fusion instead of a Bronco. It's impossible to work a job when you have 40+ hours of practice, travel, and game time in a week.
Football

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 1995 EB bronco and 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
mine arrived in south Louisiana in 30 days from blend. it was shipped convoy from Detroit, so no rail.
Sponsored