Sponsored

Got Stuck in Desert for Hours Because Bronco 4x4 System got Temporarily Disabled for no Obvious Reason

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Switched to Baja, but then selected 2H right? you're not highway driving in 4H are you?
No I was on 4h (baja with the defaults). I was refering to only the off-road trail. I'm not including the highway potion. When on the highway I usually drive in 2H with no GOAT Mode or eco mode which is still 2H.

It failed while I was in the desert so I never even got the chance to get on the highway in baja even if I wanted to :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've heard of people just shutting off their Broncos and restarting will clear some 4x4 inoperable situations. OP, did you try this or ever shut your Bronco off when this was happening?
I did shut down the Bronco, wait exactly a minute, restarted and got the same issue. Didn't disconnect the battery terminals though

Bluedoggie

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Big Bend, 22 Volvo xc60
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had this off and on until it happened all the time. Here is what it was.
UPDATE ***** First Shout out to FRED BEAN FORD WEST CHESTER.
Replaced AWD Module
Engaged into 4x4 and 4x4 wrench light returned.
There seems to be a known problem with a terminal connector C203 and C1035B
load tested CBB54 found loose pin fit problem in connector C203.
Replaced one terminal and repaired the other. Fixed.
All this taken was off service report.
Module P1WZ*7P238*F
Terminal EU2Z*14421*DA
Hope this helps a bit.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The 4x4 system in these broncos is too interlinked meaning its like one continuous circuit and when you impact just one piece the whole system fails.

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does this problem only happen to the advanced 4x4 system that has 4auto?

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does this problem only happen to the advanced 4x4 system that has 4auto?
I do have the 4auto but i wasn't using it at that point. will be curious to see if those who don't have 4A face the same problem. if that's not the case then I'll trade this for one of them.

This was really shitty coming from a vehicle that is supposed to be the best stock offroading vehicle. I have done more challenging trails in a honda pilot with zero issues.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I do have the 4auto but i wasn't using it at that point. will be curious to see if those who don't have 4A face the same problem. if that's not the case then I'll trade this for one of them.

This was really shitty coming from a vehicle that is supposed to be the best stock offroading vehicle. I have done more challenging trails in a honda pilot with zero issues.
Not a scientific test but I've looked up a bunch of posts here on 6g and all the ones that had the 4wd not available error and then lost 4wd were with the 4 wheel auto transfer case.

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had my own run in with the "nannies". I broke a front axle shaft wheeling and I was not able to make it out of the trail myself as the Bronco would not stay in 4WD so it was 2WD and tow straps for me.

Art Bell

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The FlashCal 1546 can clear those diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's)
Maybe good to bring along 4WD trip. But manual says do NOT store FlashCal in your vehicle - can be damaged by extreme heat/cold

The 4x4 system in these broncos is too interlinked meaning its like one continuous circuit and when you impact just one piece the whole system fails.
Yeah it's prolly too fragile. They need more FAIL SAFE's in the System/software. If a sensor fails then 4WD should default to FUNCTIONAL. Not fail to DISABLED just because one little part stopped working. Especially if the failed part is only some electrical component. That shouldn't disable the mechanical function of the 4WD

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into your 4X4 concerns on my end.
I think you mean you need the VINs of ALL the Broncos you fools built? they all have this issue and it's only a matter of time before someone sees enough damages to suit Ford and WIN. Honestly you're better off suggesting people just carry a laptop with them and signing up for the Russian hacked forscan to solve your problems instead.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This has happened to many Broncos in many places for example @Yamapro had this happen last year at Moab while deep into the trails and was stuck with two wheel drive trying to get out all by himself. It took several side by sides pulling together to get him out of some of the gnarly areas.

Luckily, for me when this happened to my FE I was only spinning doughnuts in a snowy parking lot. and I had my trusty laptop behind the seat, and 2 min of forscan and I was back spinning and throwing snow on the WRXs

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This happened to me twice on the same trail (my first go at the rubicon). A simple off and on fixed it both times. Hasnā€™t happened since and Iā€™ve done the entire rubicon since without issues. It was weird.

Itā€™s typically the wheel speed sensors getting tripped up and triggering a fault because like many people have said already, itā€™s all stupidly connected.

A few others have a bigger issue due to the pin thing or module failing.

What really sucks is if you snap an axle on the trail you lose everything. It wonā€™t let you use lockers front or rear, it wonā€™t let you 3 wheel it, youā€™re basically stuck in 2WD without lockers meaning only one wheel is any good so 1WDā€¦ itā€™s stupid.

I might try and learn how to use forscanā€¦

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This has happened to many Broncos in many places for example @Yamapro had this happen last year at Moab while deep into the trails and was stuck with two wheel drive trying to get out all by himself. It took several side by sides pulling together to get him out of some of the gnarly areas.

Luckily, for me when this happened to my FE I was only spinning doughnuts in a snowy parking lot. and I had my trusty laptop behind the seat, and 2 min of forscan and I was back spinning and throwing snow on the WRXs
Yep, in my opinion wheel spin causes the computer to glitch. It doesnā€™t like registering the spin when it should be showing full traction. I got to be very quick at resetting and discharging the computer to reset everything. Iā€™m not getting stuck on a trail anymore.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, too many bells and whistles connected together designed by engineers to work in a perfect world. Well the world ainā€™t perfect.
BUT I thought everyone knew that if thereā€™s a glitchā€¦. If shutting it off for a bit and restarting doesnā€™t work, then disconnecting the battery might. Anyone who has worked on anything made in recent years knows this. Even Caterpillar has issues like this.

Some who buy Broncos should indeed stick with Hondas and Subarus.
Sponsored