Sponsored

Hard top protection - PPF, coating, other?

Derrick

Raptor
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2010 Audi R8 V10
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What paint protection are people doing to protect the hard top? PPF seems expensive or using a Ceramic coating or similiar coating help? Just looking for something that is easy to keep it clean.
Sponsored

RedShiftWT81650

Wildtrak
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jku
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was looking to eventually rhino-raptor-line-x the hard top, but I fear that, instead of reinforcing the top that it would just hide issues. Honestly, I love the quality of the jeep tops, I’ve been nothing but impressed with how well mine has held up for 10 years, I’m surprised that ford decided to reinvent the wheel with their top. I hope the weight difference was worth the sacrifice of integrity. Maybe/hopefully there will be improvements down the road.

eta: the weight difference between a jlu and a 4d bronco is 15lbs +\- with the Bronco being lighter and a bit bigger

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

According to Ford, don't do anything to it. They want you to only wash it with a mild soap and water. Nothing else.

I had mine ceramic coated and am impressed with the results. The water just beads right off.

The Line-X method isn't a bad idea either, and a few on this forum have done it. It just creates a different/textured look and then you are 100% committed at that point. HOWEVER, I do think a Line-X coating is just what the hardtop needs to add another small layer of strength to the top to prevent all the hairline / snakeskin cracking issues.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think you can PPF it due to the texture? Not sure, though.

Just apply Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic spray. Super easy to apply and contains UV protection as well as crazy water beading ability. It goes on SO easy there's no point in using any of the other expensive ceramic coatings.

That's what I did.

Bronco72

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford lariat F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I did ceramic coating & as others have stated the beading is fantastic plus UV Protection. The texture of the top may not except the PPF properly over time - it seems to lift.

Sponsored

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m a big proponent of 303 aerospace protectant. I use it on the top, flares, bumpers, etc.

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did Raptor Liner on my top last year and it has held up great. It does keep the inside of the top a little cooler when parked outside. Search Raptor Liner MIC Top for pictures and how I did it. Hope this helps, Bruce J.

OP
OP
Derrick

Derrick

Raptor
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2010 Audi R8 V10
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great info guys, thanks for the tips

Born2Drive

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What paint protection are people doing to protect the hard top? PPF seems expensive or using a Ceramic coating or similiar coating help? Just looking for something that is easy to keep it clean.
I purchased my 2022 Bronco used with 1500 miles on it. The previous owner had the Bronco Ceramic coated. I bought the car 4 months ago and have taken it off road a few times. Normally, I like to wash my cars and keep them clean. I will say that other than taking a hose to spray off the mud, I have not wash my Bronco in the 4 months I've owned it. The Ceramic coating really does work!

Sponsored

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm about to put on the cerakote trim ceramic. It has good reviews
Cerakote trim ceramic looks like a repair. It's designed to restore faded trim, even says so on the package. Look at a good protectant like Aerospace 303 and you'll never need a restorer.

Doug_life

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wt, 78 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cerakote trim ceramic looks like a repair. It's designed to restore faded trim, even says so on the package. Look at a good protectant like Aerospace 303 and you'll never need a restorer.
I'll report back how it holds up.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have used the Cerakote trim and it definitely improves the colour and it leaves a coat that has lasted six months so far, and it looks just like it did when I first applied it. I am a fan...

MK0412

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I like this idea but how did you reach the entire top to use 303? 6 foot ladder?

I’m a big proponent of 303 aerospace protectant. I use it on the top, flares, bumpers, etc.
Sponsored