Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had to pour warm water on the door of my Camaro in the 90s several times to open it up. Didn't have the internet to post videos to whine about it.
Totally hear that, several times in Michigan (late 90s) I had to literally dig my car out of the snow that a snow plow regularly covered all the cars on the street (forced to only park on one side of the street) and the snow plow would only ever come down the one direction and cover all cars every day with 6 foot wall of snow. My Daihatsu at the time, yeah, not great at driving itself out of the snow!!! If only Daihatsu had designed their car to not be able to be covered!!! I would have to run the car for about 45 minutes to an hour to be able to drive away to work. Yeah, I dont live there anymore!
Sponsored

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How do you warm your car up when you can't open the door to start it?
Who exactly cant open their door? The video clearly shows he can open the door. Ive already had frozen doors here in TX this past couple of weeks and the door will open even if the window doesnt go down.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wasn't there already a 10,000 page thread on this?

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

you pull on the door. the window will flex a little bit. a little bang on the seal with your hand could loosen up the ice as well. how has no one every experienced ice on their car window, door handles, door seals, etc?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is already a vent that blows over the windows normally, but this obviously takes time to work.

1642173513720.png
Ah ok. I dont have mine quite yet.

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can open the door. It just requires using critical thinking skills. Support the top of the glass with your hand when gently pulling the door open.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just stand out there breathing hot air on the window, that'll melt the ice. 😂

I agree with everyone here. However, the other day it snowed and after brushing off my car, without thinking I opened the door, and I guess the window went down, but maybe not all the way? Because it made this god awful sound like I broke something. So it is a bit unnerving. But the window is fine. Nothing broke. Maybe they built in some play in the windows for this reason? (why they shake sometimes?)

Just need to be aware next time. (I didn't think about the windows lowering, only have had the Bronco like 2 months)

this is great. I've definitely had my car encased in ice before.

Kekov721

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love all of you that remind me why I moved to Florida 😎☀🌴

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ah ok. I dont have mine quite yet.
Yup no worries, was just mentioning that. It actually blows pretty hard over the window glass when turned up, versus a lot of vehicles I have owned that you can feel almost nothing coming out of the vent. Has worked fine over the last weeks of freezing weather.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In college I had to crawl in thru the hatch (only door thast would open) , and while laying across the rear seat/front console push the clutch down with one hand while I turned the key with the other. That was a 1990 Eclipse.

Doors freezing shut isn't new, happens to me a couple times a year. Now I am not confined to a parking lot as o I can park so only one side catches the storm and I can still get in (truck is too big for the garage and doesn't have remote start)

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To everyone making fun of the original poster saying things lie "what first time having a car in a cold place" seems a little unfair

Yes all windows freeze but many cars don't have frameless windows so this is different than what many people are used to.

Also, many cars don't drop the window a little when the door opens or closes so I'd also be afraid that slamming it shut might break the window if it didn't drop

I think I'd probably stand there thinking about it for 10 minutes before just saying screw it, the engineers probably thought of this and slamming it shut but I'd be really scared in that moment... or I'd chicken out and would go get my heat gun

Either way, I don't think the poster is foolish for being extra cautious here.

Captain Howdy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It seems that there are many people who are quick to point out that all vehicles have windows that freeze up in areas that get snow and ice. Surely, Ford can't be expected to control the weather, right?

But that's not really the issue here, is it? The real issue is that you CANT OPEN THE DOOR. I've had frameless windows in the past, but It never mattered if those windows froze. Do you know why? It's because there wasn't an obstruction that prevents you from opening the door if the windows are all the way up.

The Bronco is the first vehicle that I've ever heard of that has this design where the door can't be opened or closed if the window isn't indexed down. It's not only a problem in the winter when it freezes, but it has also been reported to be an issue for people if they open the door too quickly. It's a bad design.
Exactly! You, good sir, are the very 1st post made by someone who actually watched the video before posting. That makes page 1 completely useless.

The video was a bit disheartening to watch. In the end, the fix was a healthy scraping with a trim removal tool to free the window. Problem is, how much life will be taken off of that weatherstripping after having to do that all the time.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dang, tough crowd today.

I made that video specifically for you SOB's and shared it here a couple weeks ago. Yes the EB runs. Yes the 21 lives outside. Yes, it is my first frameless window vehicle. No, I don't think warming it up for 30+ minutes is reasonable. Yes, I did remote start it. Yes, I did drive it around the first time it happened and yes the windows thawed and worked.

Bottom line is this is an annoying problem to deal with on a regular basis and I do think there is room for improvement. We should all want that.

My F-150 straight up won't latch the door. Biggest issue is you never know when it will happen. First world problems for sure, but for people who believe in showing up on time, these issues are a huge inconvenience.

Perhaps you can roast me on this one next :cool:

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I jumped into the wife's Mazda CX-5 a couple of days ago and the windows wouldn't budge.
Sponsored