Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To everyone making fun of the original poster saying things lie "what first time having a car in a cold place" seems a little unfair

Yes all windows freeze but many cars don't have frameless windows so this is different than what many people are used to.

Also, many cars don't drop the window a little when the door opens or closes so I'd also be afraid that slamming it shut might break the window if it didn't drop

I think I'd probably stand there thinking about it for 10 minutes before just saying screw it, the engineers probably thought of this and slamming it shut but I'd be really scared in that moment... or I'd chicken out and would go get my heat gun

Either way, I don't think the poster is foolish for being extra cautious here.
1978 Olds Cutlass- frameless power windows froze on me
1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 - frameless power windows froze on me
1993/2001/2003 Ford Ranger - full frame manual windows - froze on me.

Ironically very infrequently had door locks freeze on me...

I can go on and on....

I agree- be cautious when stuff starts freezing. I shattered a hyundai's plastic fuel door once when it was about 10F and it was froze shut. All I was doing was lightly tapping on it with a knuckle... Good thing it was a rental :p

Had a windshield completely crack on me in about 2 minutes while driving out to lunch during a warming period from a deep freeze. Started on the passenger side and was all the way over to the driver side in the time it took to drive around the corner to lunch from where i worked.

Dont start forcing or tapping on frozen stuff unless you are prepared to have to replace it.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think everyone just wants to make a “first” of something no matter how F’ing ridiculous it may be.

JS Creek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What works for me (unfortunately, not yet with a Bronco) is fill a large "Ziplock" bag with warm water and rub it on the windows. It clears up pretty quick!

@13:30 on this video...

Sponsored

gettk

Big Bend
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C300
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know, it's like there is no place to put said vehicle to somehow prevent this weather from being an issue, like if there was a square box area with a large opening that I could somehow drive the vehicle into, and then ideally, I could close some sort of door thing, which I guess would have to be somehow hinged or cut into sections as to be not so rigid that maybe it could, oh I know, maybe it can ride on tracks that take it out of the way while the opening is available for entering large things. So then, I could place the vehicle into this protected area, removing it from the elements and removing some of my frustrations. God, if a place like that existed... I KNOW I would surely use that...

I guess maybe he should drive the other Bronco that doesnt have the windows frozen maybe? Sure maybe it doesnt run, but that seems to be the choice this person is making, not Ford in not ensuring the vehicle never has trouble with icy weather.

1642170101533.png
Are you really suggesting that our "heavy duty" broncos cannot be left out in some mild winter weather without malfunctioning? BTW this same thing happened to me but the window went down only to not come back up. Really cool driving around in 15f degrees with no way to shut the window. It is in the shop now for a week because the only solution is a new motor and replacement of the entire mechanism. My Bronco has less than 1500 miles on it and the windows apparently are not designed to accommodate a chilly morning. Cant leave it in the driveway with a little snow and ice?? Wow. My daughters 2004 Focus doesn't pull this on me.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It seems that there are many people who are quick to point out that all vehicles have windows that freeze up in areas that get snow and ice. Surely, Ford can't be expected to control the weather, right?

But that's not really the issue here, is it? The real issue is that you CANT OPEN THE DOOR. I've had frameless windows in the past, but It never mattered if those windows froze. Do you know why? It's because there wasn't an obstruction that prevents you from opening the door if the windows are all the way up.

The Bronco is the first vehicle that I've ever heard of that has this design where the door can't be opened or closed if the window isn't indexed down. It's not only a problem in the winter when it freezes, but it has also been reported to be an issue for people if they open the door too quickly. It's a bad design.
My Bronco windows do not index down until after the door is opened. I would think they would index down as soon as your hand touches the door handle, which is what unlocks the door.
Sadly there is no opposite locking feature (that I have yet found) other than using key, And I am sure it is just a changed setting but pressing the remote start button 2X does nothing anymore.

Wasn't there already a 10,000 page thread on this?
Where th eguy opened his frozen rear window and it shattered from being stuck and not covered under warranty.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you really suggesting that our "heavy duty" broncos cannot be left out in some mild winter weather without malfunctioning? BTW this same thing happened to me but the window went down only to not come back up. Really cool driving around in 15f degrees with no way to shut the window. It is in the shop now for a week because the only solution is a new motor and replacement of the entire mechanism. My Bronco has less than 1500 miles on it and the windows apparently are not designed to accommodate a chilly morning. Cant leave it in the driveway with a little snow and ice?? Wow. My daughters 2004 Focus doesn't pull this on me.
I'm not suggesting anything other than with every problem comes a solution. Anyone who chooses to have an issue, usually also chooses that problem. You might then see this comment and say, "But I expect Ford to get this right!". And you would be forgetting you chose to get a vehicle before you knew they did. You chose to drive in that environment, you chose both the problems and decisions you dispatched. Just how maybe they might have less issues if they used a simple thing like a garage. With every choice comes a possible new problem, like frameless doors. I assume your Focus also doesnt have frameless doors. It rhetorical, yes, I know it doesnt. Once again, people choose an outcome and get mad when they dont consider what those choices might entail.

Or like me, work beyond any shortcomings. There are pros and cons to every decision much like you arent complaining here your Bronco doesnt get the same gas mileage as your daughters 2004 Focus. Figure it out, complain about the things that are harder to figure out, but personally, windows and vehicle problems in freezing temperatures throw a lot of logic out the window, believe me I know living in those climates as well. But you know what, even the time the window froze here in Texas, meh, little ice tool slide in the window frame, done. Not going to even cry about it... Moving on...

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This not my video but thought I share this with others too see if anyone else is running into to this issue too. See blew Washingtonmatt video.

I got back from a work trip last week and my Outback driver door window was frozen shut. Went to pay for the airport parking and had to open my door lol

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got back from a work trip last week and my Outback driver door window was frozen shut. Went to pay for the airport parking and had to open my door lol
Freezing windows is completely normal. But when the design requires the window to drop upon open or close of the door, that is the issue. I've had multiple cars without a window frame including one currently in my garage. None of them need the window to move to open or close the door. Stupid design.

Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sadly there is no opposite locking feature (that I have yet found) other than using key, And I am sure it is just a changed setting but pressing the remote start button 2X does nothing anymore.
Do you mean locking the door by touching the handle? If you have proximity unlock, you also have lock. You press the little spot that has a key lock on it on the outside of the door handle. It's a bit finicky on mine - I have to press it well and more than just a quick tap.

Remote start - are you hitting lock first? On all Fords, you have to hit the lock button once, then the remote start button twice.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Freezing windows is completely normal. But when the design requires the window to drop upon open or close of the door, that is the issue. I've had multiple cars without a window frame including one currently in my garage. None of them need the window to move to open or close the door. Stupid design.
I had a vehicle with a frameless window and it also did not need to drop when opening and closing the door. But, the seal wasn’t as great as it is on the Bronco. Pros and cons to both styles.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a vehicle with a frameless window and it also did not need to drop when opening and closing the door. But, the seal wasn’t as great as it is on the Bronco. Pros and cons to both styles.
Well worth a few drops of water vs a door that is stuck because the window can't move.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

gettk

Big Bend
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C300
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm not suggesting anything other than with every problem comes a solution. Anyone who chooses to have an issue, usually also chooses that problem. You might then see this comment and say, "But I expect Ford to get this right!". And you would be forgetting you chose to get a vehicle before you knew they did. You chose to drive in that environment, you chose both the problems and decisions you dispatched. Just how maybe they might have less issues if they used a simple thing like a garage. With every choice comes a possible new problem, like frameless doors. I assume your Focus also doesnt have frameless doors. It rhetorical, yes, I know it doesnt. Once again, people choose an outcome and get mad when they dont consider what those choices might entail.

Or like me, work beyond any shortcomings. There are pros and cons to every decision much like you arent complaining here your Bronco doesnt get the same gas mileage as your daughters 2004 Focus. Figure it out, complain about the things that are harder to figure out, but personally, windows and vehicle problems in freezing temperatures throw a lot of logic out the window, believe me I know living in those climates as well. But you know what, even the time the window froze here in Texas, meh, little ice tool slide in the window frame, done. Not going to even cry about it... Moving on...
Dude my window went down (all the way) and will not budge. This was not warming up the car - it happened at a drive through. Car had been driven a good 10 minutes prior. It was cold out - 15f. I'm hoping the car was engineered for outdoors or I'm in trouble as I have no need for a car indoors. Sounded like some icicles shattering as it went down. Then the motor could not move the window back up. It was a complete failure as declared by the dealership who are replacing the entire mechanism. I'm betting we are going to hear more of these situations emerge. I guess you would tape some cardboard to your new $50k truck and congratulate yourself for being such an problem solver. I didnt buy the car for the gas mileage. Didnt buy it for the frameless doors. But I do expect it to function on a fundamental level.
Sponsored