First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
haven't gotten the breakdown yet but will share when I do.
thanks! I have friends who will help me when I can afford the parts. Pizza and beer labor :D
Sponsored

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
thanks! I have friends who will help me when I can afford the parts. Pizza and beer labor :D
Ya I can do everything but the ring and pinion setup, I could do it if I bought the tools for lash and bearing press but not sure I'd ever use them again. Once I get the breakdown I'll see how much sense it makes but at $4200 they must be charging a TON of labor.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ya I can do everything but the ring and pinion setup, I could do it if I bought the tools for lash and bearing press but not sure I'd ever use them again. Once I get the breakdown I'll see how much sense it makes but at $4200 they must be charging a TON of labor.
can you rent the press ect? Yes! It is a ton of labor.

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Haven't looked into rental, every time I've rented in the past the tools were beat up and I ended up buying what I needed so probably won't do that.

But if the labor is $1k then it probably makes sense to buy the tools!

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Haven't looked into rental, every time I've rented in the past the tools were beat up and I ended up buying what I needed so probably won't do that.

But if the labor is $1k then it probably makes sense to buy the tools!
The backlash tool is $50 on amazon and I bet your local tool rental place will rent the press

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

haven't gotten the breakdown yet but will share when I do.
I'd expect somewhere around $3000-$2500 for an elocker provided they don’t need to get new axles or anything - but an air locker is gonna be pricey - it’s probably over a grand just for the air compressor, installed.

You can hammer the bearings on if you have an old race or something to use to prevent striking the bearing directly. Just go slow and even around.

Also - sometimes auto parts stores will let you borrow or rent tooling - Oreilies in my area will for a deposit, but otherwise free. They just don’t have anything too specific.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can’t see the left side bearing - in the Bronco the left bearing is bigger than the right. If the picture is accurate these look to be the same size.

Spline count is correct though.
Could It be done with new bearings?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Could It be done with new bearings?
I don’t think so but I admit I don’t know first hand - haven’t worked on jeeps.

Here’s some pics of the carriers for the bearings which show the difference in size

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just unhooking the front sway bar will make a huge improvement on your capabilities. Also, a limited slip rear is all you really need for overlanding. My 98 AWD Explorer was surprisingly capable and just had limited slip rear diff and 3.73 gearing.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t think so but I admit I don’t know first hand - haven’t worked on jeeps.

Here’s some pics of the carriers for the bearings which show the difference in size

Ford Bronco Have non lockers, looking to upgrade. IMG_1769

Thanks for the look inside there. I see the difference. I just wondered if a danna 44 is a danna 44 lol

Sozzy1269

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco 2door, 2012 Raptor, 2017 f350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I added an ARB to the rear diff on our base. It would definitely have been cheaper and could have done it all myself iif I'd just swapped rear axles for a stock unit with e locker. The ARB is about $1,100, ring and pinion about $250 (has to be replaced as the ring is welded to the carrier), bearing kit about $200, I paid $750 for the install, then I needed an air compressor ($300 for ARB single), compressor mount about $200, wiring controller about $300, gear oil about $50. Probably forgetting something. Now I need to upgrade my front diff, axles, and steering...

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the look inside there. I see the difference. I just wondered if a danna 44 is a danna 44 lol
There's a 44 and an AdvanTek 44. I do think some newer Jeeps use the newer AdvanTek one, but I think the one you linked is maybe an older one? The newer rear end uses the M220 ring/gear set, which is the big difference between the two.

That said it wasn't a bad idea or anything - a lot of Jeep parts will transfer right over (for a lot cheaper). Just not certain that particular one will.

I think the Spicer part number you need is Ford MB3Z-4200-B (carrier - although I can't confirm if this is the entire carrier assembly), along with Spicer 10102021 (ELD - the carrier says w/ELD, so it may come with it but I can't confirm), plus your ring/pinion gear set and an install kit (Spicer 10267429 or Ford M-4210-R) to get the shims/bearings/bolts/etc. And then, Ford recommends replacing the axle seal bolts and the rear driveline bolts each time, so add in 8 axle bolts and 4 driveline bolt sets - I had the P/Ns for those but would have to dig them up. And your gear oil, of course.

Funny that the Ford part numbers that are non-ELD are $200 less, and they would include a gear set (since the ring gear is welded on there). Thanks Ford.

here's a parts breakdown
https://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/gKvvL6ujMaD8b5GND/LAXIP-0002-52022.pdf?token=eyJhdXRoVG9rZW4iOiIifQ==&store=original

It's much easier to just get the entire rear end pre-assembled from Ford Performance - it just bolts right up and no playing with setting lash or bearings and no specialty tooling needed. And likely cheaper.
Sponsored

Last edited: