First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
oooof. Sorry, but open diffs suck. I would try to flip it for a profit and order a more capable Bronco or budget to upgrade the rear diff fairly soon. You said you plan to lift so you also plan to run 35's probably. 35's with 3.73's won't be ideal, but it could be worse.
I disagree. Open diffs don't necessarily suck. Open diffs can teach you how to pick the best lines and develop off great roading skills. I just pulled out the locker in my 1998 Cherokee before I'll give it to my 16 yr old son. My reasoning, it will force him to develop basic trail driving skills, without the crutch of a locker. When he's developed them, we'll put it back in so he can elevate his game.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have built my mythical Bronco on the B&P page ,I could place my exact order while in a coma.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still think that if you didn't know you needed the rear diff locker before, the reality is that you probably don't need it. Important for some use cases, but maybe not yours. Don't feel upset until you actually find your Bronco lacking in some aspect.

The combo of that ratio and 35s is closer to what I would consider a problem. There are reasons Ford won't let you build them like that.
This.

I've seen way too many people on here stressing about lockers that didn't even know what they were. If you don't know what they are, I guarantee open diffs will be 100% fine. Relax and enjoy your build.

35s on the other hand has the strong possibility of sucking on 3.73s. I'd personally just go with a smaller wheel tire setup, but it will be something you'll have to think hard about if you're dead set on big tires.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are you planning to run around in the Ft Lauderdale area that you think you will be limited by your initial choice with a lift and tire upsize? Maybe not a huge concern? I didn't think the lockers were as important as airing down on soft beach sand terrain.

Curious, as I don't know that area well

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my opinion it sounds like you need(ed) to do some model research. The Badlands and Outer Banks are not very similar and are meant to appeal to very different crowds/use cases.

How many times have you used a locker in the last few years? based off of some of your questions It sounds like you don't do a lot of off-roading (sorry if that is a bad assumption) and even without a locker the Bronco will handle the majority of trails for "casual off-roading". That being said you will quickly find out when you are on a trail where lockers are needed, because you will either be winching up or turning around. Gear ratio is the single most important thing if you are going to try and run 35's, that tire size on 3.73s will suck...a lot.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered a Big Bend, it's finished and built and just waiting on shipping.

But I'm starting to ask myself if I made the right decision chosing the Big Bend, or If I should have just went ahead and got the Badlands, or Outer Banks....

Can someone reassure me that my choice will be just fine? I do plan on putting this thing on some rims and tires and a 2-3'' lift, so I was hoping that chosing the Big Bend model would chop down the price a little so I can do these upgrades myself. Have I made a mistake?
If you went Big Bend, then your upgrade is a Black Diamond. Really wanting to crawl over boulders? Then it is a Badlands. You can also just stick with the Big Bend and mod it. Takeoff Badlands Bilstein shocks on eBay right now for $1,995 or best offer. Offer them a grand and see what happens. I'm doing that with a Base and adding 17" ProComp wheels and Fallken ATw3 33s. You already have 17" wheels, so for less than 3k you could have a plush ride.
Sponsored