Sponsored

How high interest rates and inflation before you cancel?

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
By the time my Bronco gets built I'll be able to pay cash. The downside is people will probably be flying cars like the Jetsons by then.
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IAG and large investment firms didn't go broke because some poor people couldn't repay their loans.
Oh yah?
The term subprime may sound familiar thanks to the subprime mortgage crisis. Prior to 2008, mortgage lenders had much looser standards for approving borrowers with poor credit scores and financial track records. These were also sometimes called no-doc loans because some lenders were not requiring documented proof of income.

Eventually, many of those borrowers defaulted on their loans. Between 2007 and 2010, foreclosures skyrocketed and banks lost tons of money, causing the government to bail out many big banks, while others merged or were sold through failure.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IAG and large investment firms didn't go broke because some poor people couldn't repay their loans.
Really? You may want to read some financial history books. AIG is not the same today as when I worked there. Lehman Brothers who? Countrywide Mortgage who? etc etc

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Inflation in general, including higher interest rates, gas prices, etc. I am not sure how all of you do it - affording mortgage, car payment for a 50K plus vehicle, insurance and the gas. I don't make a lot of income but saved and planned to get my Basesquatch cash outright and am going to most likely abort due to high gas prices and a long commute to work. So, no not the interest rates for me but high gas prices. Although I can pay cash for the vehicle, gas is an ongoing expense and I won't have the income to afford it.
I'm hoping the Electric Bronco is less than 3 years out. Then again, it'll be 20K more and that federal $7500 will have gone away by then.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really? You may want to read some financial history books. AIG is not the same today as when I worked there. Lehman Brothers who? Countrywide Mortgage who? etc etc
Soo what you're saying is that those organizations didn't didn't make irresponsible bets and that the only reason they went broke is that some poor people didn't pay their loans after their interest rates went through the roof?

Last edited:

Sponsored

taperunner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you're saying they didn't go broke because of their predatory lending practices and it was all the borrowers fault?!
photos%2Fimages%2Fnewsfeed%2F000%2F645%2F713%2F888.jpg

Reactions: Jdc

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I think I can get higher ROI than the interest rate, I will finance as much as I can regardless of the absolute rate.

If the rate hits some amount that I don't think I can out-earn, I won't be happy but have the means to pay cash.

Inflation in the absence of rate hikes makes the 2021 MSRP deal better, but if inflation is so high that deal gets too good, I expect either Ford or the dealer to renege on the deal.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

To add, I was working in the fortune 100 financial industry at the time, the bundling of all those great securities was the biggest pyramid scheme skirting regulations, it was pure monopoly money on the backs of a boat load of people. I survived up till beginning of 2009 then I was out of that sector for good.

Reactions: Jdc

Deleted User 21488

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Plymouth Duster, 2013 Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Based on the interest we currently pay on our debt being the 4th largest expenditure of the US gov, I don't think rates really can go much higher. Inflating away the debt.

I am not an economist. It is a hobby to me. I do not want to argue, but I like hearing other opinions.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Inflation in general, including higher interest rates, gas prices, etc. I am not sure how all of you do it - affording mortgage, car payment for a 50K plus vehicle, insurance and the gas. I don't make a lot of income but saved and planned to get my Basesquatch cash outright and am going to most likely abort due to high gas prices and a long commute to work. So, no not the interest rates for me but high gas prices. Although I can pay cash for the vehicle, gas is an ongoing expense and I won't have the income to afford it.
I'd like to know how you saved $40k in about 2 years on not much income.
I need to follow your plan instead of what my spending has been like lately. (y)

Sponsored

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Soo what you're saying is that those organizations didn't didn't make irresponsible bets and that the only reason they went broke is that some poor people didn't pay their loans after their interest rates went through the roof?
All of the above and then some.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd like to know how you saved $40k in about 2 years on not much income.
I need to follow your plan instead of what my spending has been like lately. (y)
LOL, I have been saving for a lot longer than that. Bought and sold a few cars here and there before the pandemic, put my touch on them made a few hundred here and there. I have 20K for the Bronco and will get another 20 from selling one of my vehicles. I am a vehicle enthusiast, have all of my own tools and do mostly all my own work on my vehicles. Been doing car work since I was 16. I have a TINY garage- 20 X 22 but make the most of every square inch of space. I shop hard for the parts and get the best prices. And I don't spend any money except on cars and coffee. :).

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Youve got 40k+ in cash sitting around but cant afford gas? Maybe keeping 40k liquid over the last decade of growth wasnt the best idea

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
By the time my Bronco gets built I'll be able to pay cash. The downside is people will probably be flying cars like the Jetsons by then.
this post did not age well, lol.
Sponsored