Sponsored

How to get best dealer offer if I pay cash?

Wilson66

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Cash isn’t king at dealerships, and won’t get you any discounts IMO. That doesn’t imply you should finance, just that dealers prefer you do, therefore aren’t going to discount a cash purchase.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't tell them I'm paying cash ahead of time. Just get the total tax and fees price from your rep (check his figures), show up with a check and watch the finance guy's face drop.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Full price being MSRP+tax +tag fees n such.

You could say I'll finance for 3 months (believe that's the time frame for dealer kickback) for some free Ford stuff or $ off purchase as long as the finance costs are less than what you get in return. Then just pay off after that 3 months.

If you do go this route, save yourself some money. When you make that first payment, pay off the entire loan amount only living just enough balance for two more payments.

You'll pay alot less in interest since it's compounded monthly. Your agreement says you must make three payments, it doesn't say what your balance has to be.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Payment don’t matter to the dealer. They just want to be paid

2. Non one cares about cash anymore.

3. You have no leverage at the dealership.

4. Never mention cash at the dealership.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I cut my dealership a check and 10 mins later I am driving off the lot.

Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello all,

first time car buyer, I have driven the same car for 12 years and my two door big bend should be here in the next week. I have a reservation from 2020. It is delivered by rail and I am just waiting on the 30 minute transfer to the dealership for the past few days. In my I case I have the cash in the bank account to cover the MSRP with the price protection and taxes. I am curious if anyone was able to provide any pointers/advice on the interaction of the dealership since I can purchase the car outright. I am not sure if they were to do in-house financing if I could get a better deal and then just pay off the financing later.
Can’t wait! Appreciate any advice.
I called 5 local credit unions and got rates and terms. I was lucky to find a great credit union and they really wanted my business. Rates are high now, but they gave me 4.5% for 72months. Are you confident that you could get more if you were to invest your cash in something else? If yes, finance and invest your cash. If no, pay cash. Otherwise, split the difference. It’s going to be a financially rocky next couple of years.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I paid cash for mine. There was no price negotiation, I paid the MSRP on the window sticker plus the taxes and government fees I was required to pay. Once I knew the amount down to the cent, I spent ten minutes running over to the bank, got a cashier's check, took it back to the finance guy, and we were done. We had to adjust by the $1000 deposit that I had paid the dealer plus the $100 that had gone to Ford before figuring it all out.

My local dealer made it a pretty painless experience.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Use an American Express card ,then pay it off when the bill comes the following month instead of going through the hassle of getting a che k or carrying cash.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"The Best Deal" means something all together different than five years ago. "How to get screwed the least" is more apropos. Rant off.

As someone else said, paying cash means nothing today and may even be a liability if you disclose your intent upfront. Longer story short, I turned down dealer's financing offer, said I'd made my own arrangements. Salesman comes back w/ the second final closing statement of the night w/ an additional $475 fee. I asked what it was and why it had changed from the forty minutes before and received a BS answer. Five years ago I'd have walked. Mrs Contented gave me "the look". I knew the meaning.

Then we had to endure twenty minutes of the closer/paperwork person doing the warranty, extended service, paint protection, etc, etc, upsell. He seemed shocked I said no to all. I wrote the check. The final indignity was listening to the salesman literally begging for a good review. Couldn't wait to get off the lot.

We dearly love our Bronco. But I will NEVER EVER buy from this dealer or any of the fifty some other stores in their group. And this will most likely be the first and last new FORD and the reason has nothing to do with the vehicle itself.

BTW, no need for a cashier's check. They can tell if your personal check is good by running it through some sort of a reader. Takes less than a minute.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BTW, no need for a cashier's check. They can tell if your personal check is good by running it through some sort of a reader. Takes less than a minute.
I asked the dealer what worked best for them and they said a cashier's check, so that's what I got them. It wasn't really a bother at all.

And unlike you, I quite like my local dealer. It's nice to work with a decent one.

Sponsored

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They are offering the employee discount, not sure the name of that plan. They are not allowing the employee to a friend discount. This is for the Bronco.
The discount plan is the "AXZ Plan", and D (Dealer employees). Currently Ford is only honoring, if the dealers choose to participate, A, Z (Ford retirees), and D plans. Y plan--which is the Friends and Family pricing, is not being honored due to demand.

NurseLaura

Badlands
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sprinter, 2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I cut my dealership a check and 10 mins later I am driving off the lot.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm going to go ahead and just ask the question...

When you say you "cut my dealership a check", do you mean you wrote them a personal check?

When I bought my last vehicle they required a cashier check, but the purchase price was considerably higher than what the Bronco will be. Will a Ford dealer take a personal check?

vbrad26

Outer Banks
First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW's and now a Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My dealer took a personal check but they wanted to see that the funds were actually available in the account it was coming from.
No perks for paying cash, nothing missed by not financing.
Was in and out pretty quick.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cash eliminates a profit source and often times requires more work once you reach certain thresholds - 10k is the general limit prior to extra reporting being necessary.

There is no advantage the dealer gains by you paying cash. Most will also limit the method of payment when not financing... meaning they may not accept personal checks, bank checks, actual cash and may only accept wire transfers... or some combination thereof.

The only advantage is savings for you.

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why pay cash? If you’re in that position, you probably have good credit. Pay by maxing out a credit card and then immediately paying it off.

Same money for you, but you get your CC kickbacks.
Sponsored