Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout II, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been waiting for my Bronco for so long(almost 2 years), that I am probably going to buy with cash. I have never done this before, but not wanting to even have these conversations with my dealer yet until I have an out the door price. He seems extremely cool and had great deal for buying Bronco at invoice pricing when I ordered 2 years ago and just hoping nothing has changed.

Can anyone who bought their Bronco with cash give some recommendations? Right now the plan is to drive over there with other car, figure out price, drive to bank and get a cashier's check from money in checking account, drive home, and then get a ride or uber over there to pick up Bronco. If there is another method where you can typically wire money to them directly from your checking account, etc. let me know. Have never bought a car with cash and just clueless.

Part of the reason I am posting all this is just in case is shows up right before Memorial Day weekend as it just went into in transit.

Thanks,

Dan
Let the dealer finance with a borrower that has no prepayment penalties. This will give the dealer cash from the bank and youā€™ll get the best price. Itā€™s sad but cash isnā€™t king in the car-buying business anymore.
Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I walked in with a check from my bank, I was driving home 30 mins later. I had pricing a month before my Bronco arrived ($500 over invoice). Great experience overall.

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have been waiting for my Bronco for so long(almost 2 years), that I am probably going to buy with cash. I have never done this before, but not wanting to even have these conversations with my dealer yet until I have an out the door price. He seems extremely cool and had great deal for buying Bronco at invoice pricing when I ordered 2 years ago and just hoping nothing has changed.

Can anyone who bought their Bronco with cash give some recommendations? Right now the plan is to drive over there with other car, figure out price, drive to bank and get a cashier's check from money in checking account, drive home, and then get a ride or uber over there to pick up Bronco. If there is another method where you can typically wire money to them directly from your checking account, etc. let me know. Have never bought a car with cash and just clueless.

Part of the reason I am posting all this is just in case is shows up right before Memorial Day weekend as it just went into in transit.

Thanks,

Dan
I just gave them a check and drove the Bronco home. About an hour total.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks,

Dan
I bought mine with cash in January. My rebate was honored by the original salesman (from Nov of 2020)who became the sales manager when it finally arrived. I put $2500 on my Ford Credit card, and had another $450 in Ford points plus my original $1000 down (3950 off of the rebated sheet my sales manager showed me). When I got to the finance guy, and he showed me the check amount, I told him it could not be correct. I asked to see the original rebated piece of paper, he produced it, and I said the check amount should be that minus $3950. I told him I was going to the bathroom, and then look around the show room, and I expected it to be fixed when I got back. It was, and I wrote a personal check for the correct amount. Funny how those errors are never in your favor at the dealership. Other than that, was a pretty good purchasing experience...

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it not a good idea to get the extended warranty or maintenance plan. I am paying cash as well but I want piece of mind since this will be my first vehicle purchased that I plan on keeping for 5+ years.
Generally speaking, an extended warranty is a massive profit center for the dealer. If you really want the peace of mind of a warranty, you can buy the Ford extended warranty at any time before the factory warranty expires.

So, you can buy it from Granger Ford or Flood Ford or any of the reputable dealers who will sell it to you at $50-100 over cost.

Sponsored

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You'll get better money for your trade on the open market. The question becomes if your trade is worth 35-40k, older than 4yrs and the buyer can get financing for all or the difference of what the bank requests. How many people want to drop that coin on a 4yr old vehicle unless it's high demand. Most all dealers will tell you it's going straight to auction. Used cars are where they make the most money anyway. Higher interest and large deposits.
If it's only 2 years old, it's high demand and you paid cash as well you definitely do better but if your willing to wait for the right buyer, you'll get more.
I cut my cashier's check from a savings for tax reasons

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks,

Dan
Hey Dan,

Great news that you soon will have your Bronco at the dealership. Regardless though as to how you are going to pay, you need to get into your dealer and nail down the price immediately.
Ask for a signed Purchase Agreement (PA). This is important, do not settle for a signed Sales Order, as it means nothing. A PA, is a legal agreement whereas a Sales Order is not. With a signed PA, you are guaranteed to get the price on the agreement when you truck arrives.
If your dealership will not give you a PA, the games are about to begin.
Good luck and I wish you an easy and smooth time at your dealership when it comes time to pick up your Bronco!

UTME

Wildtrak
First Name
T-Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Rubicon-X
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I bought my 2016 f150 king ranch the finance guy was an idiot and wasting too much time. I was paying cash but they were trying to get another rebate from ford finance.

The salesman just handed me the keys and said go enjoy your new truck, we will get the paperwork sorted out later. Those were the days with $10,000 off sticker price!

BTW it would be really cool if there was a king ranch broncošŸ¤˜

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Dabo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Payment policy will vary greatly by dealer. Many will have limits on personal checks and credit cards. I had to put 17.5k on credit card because they would not take a personal check over 5k.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let the dealer finance with a borrower that has no prepayment penalties. This will give the dealer cash from the bank and youā€™ll get the best price. Itā€™s sad but cash isnā€™t king in the car-buying business anymore.
Agreed. I used the dealer financing for a car I bought, especially because it qualified me for an additional savings offer that was running at the time. I then paid it all off right away, no additional fee, no messing around with cashier checks or whatever.

Dabo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it not a good idea to get the extended warranty or maintenance plan. I am paying cash as well but I want piece of mind since this will be my first vehicle purchased that I plan on keeping for 5+ years.
If you are asking, I feel there will be a 50\50 split of opinions on the warranty. Most will probably say no to the maintenance. But all will tell you to only get it through Flood, or Granger....unless you have money to burn.

Constraints

Wildtrak
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you are asking, I feel there will be a 50\50 split of opinions on the warranty. Most will probably say no to the maintenance. But all will tell you to only get it through Flood, or Granger....unless you have money to burn.
Do not have money to burn lol. What is flood and granger? I guess I can always add on the warranty before the 3 years 36k miles if I wanted. As for the maintenance plan oil changes and lube n tube etc is always nice if the life of the vehicle. Trending towards the maintenance plan then add on warranty later. What do you think about that?

FordOwner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a few
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The policies for cash or checks mixed with utilizing a credit card varies from dealer to dealer so contact the dealer you intend to purchase from to understand their specific policies.

When I bought my Bronco I asked and they told me ahead of time that the max they would allow on a credit card was $5000. 'My dealer said':

"You can come in with a personal or cashier's check, however, if we do not run your credit we will not allow you to take delivery until the checks clear. You are able to bring cash in for the vehicle and take delivery same day, however, they will still need to run an OFAC against the SDN List. That requires your social security number but does not run your credit. We do one of those on everyone to make sure you are legit, and not a wanted person or someone who is unable to purchase a car!"​

What 'my dealer said' above wasn't all true... In my experience the $5k or whatever credit card limits magically get increased when you have cash with you. Also, despite what my dealer told me I'm aware that SSN is NOT required for an OFAC SDN List check. Anyone can check the list for free here: https://sanctionssearch.ofac.treas.gov/

If paying actual cash be very careful and controlled in your actions picking up and transporting the money.
  • Make an appointment in advance at the bank to make a large cash withdrawl. My experience has been that about a week of lead time is preferred but you can get away with as little as 2 days depending on the days of the week the bank makes their money orders and when cash deliveries are made.
  • Specify the exact type and number of bills you want in each denomination if not all in $100's.
  • Go ahead of your appointment to find the ideal place to park to enable you to meet the safety parameters you feel are best for you. You can take a few minutes to watch the parking lot to make sure no one appears to be watching folks going in and out of the bank and potentially following them but you doing this for a little while could look like the very type of people you are looking out for.
  • Bring a backpack or other non see through and closeable bag you can place the money in.
  • Have a person stay outside the back to let you know if there is a reason you should not step outside after obtaining your money.
  • Request to handle the withdrawl in a room other than the main teller window floor space if possible.
  • Ideally pick up your cash at a bank close to the dealer, shortly before your purchasing appointment so you spend as little time as possible with the cash in your possession.
  • Be alert when on the road immediately after you leave the bank. Know the location of, and have a plan ahead of time to drive to the nearest police station if you feel you are being followed.
  • Contrary to what many others say, I tell the dealer know up front that I am paying cash and my out the door price is X. I also tell them I will not spend time at the dealership for unnecessary sales tactics and expect to be done within 1.5 - 2 hours, which includes my test drive and inspection time.
  • Ideally, your dealer has a safe with automatic counters where the cash is immediately deposited. If they don't, be prepared for the counting of the cash to take up to several hours. Even with machines it can take 30-45 minutes.
  • Ensure you are present in the room when the cash is counted and deposited into the safe and that you and the dealer agree on the amount that was deposited.
All the finance manager upselling baloney melts away when you are clear about your expectations in regard to terms and timing for the appt. I usually end up having a pleasant conversation about life and work while the required paperwork is signed, while keeping alert for mathematical 'errors' in favor of the dealer. ;)

Truly paying with cash, and not a personal or cashier's check is an anomaly these days, especially for a $40k + vehicle. My last purchase of a vehicle in all cash was the first that my finance manager had seen that was over $10k cash in about 6 or 7 years and this was at a pretty decent volume dealership in a major metro area that has a good number of finance managers on staff.

Bottom line: If you have no problem with an unnecessary credit check being run if your dealer "requires it", it's faster and physically less taxing to have a cashier's check or personal check along with some cash in case you decide to buy something extra, like a license plate frame.
Sponsored

Last edited: