Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think, to be on the safe side, you should cancel your reservation and buy a truck if you have that much stuff to haul. Seriously.
C'mon, it was only a cookie after dinner!!

:alien:
Sponsored

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If there is smoke, there is probably fire. Just saying “add it at the dealer” doesn’t fix the core issue that there is no wiggle room and there is a significant weight/payload issue or they would offer the roof rails and hitch across the board. The fact that it can be added on some 2-doors and not 4-doors (which presumably are more stable with longer wheel base) is pretty nuts.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i do not think Ford officially stated it’s below 6000. If it is, then it means a stock first edition has 680 lbs payload maximum (6000-5320) per your screenshot.
Ford doesn't have to make the statement directly. A class 2 light duty truck jumps you up to 10000lbs GVWR. Since Ford mentions in the FAQ that it is a problem, it is for sure a Class 1. (6000lbs). To go above that would likely mean re-doing crash testing, emissions certifications, a whole bunch of other expensive and time consuming stuff. They built a heavy/beefy pig of a vehicle (Warthog name makes more sense now, right?). A very specialized one that puts cargo weight capacity low on its priority list. It is unfortunate that your specific needs are not meshing up with Ford's priorities very well. It does not mean that they are wrong and need to take action to satisfy you, just means that maybe it isn't as right for your needs as something else might be. Obviously your call though. It should be a fun vehicle, hopefully you can make it work for you (without any practicality hassles ruining the fun part)

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In 2021 can we please try not to attack someone for what THEY want to do with THEIR Bronco.
The phrasing may be a notch below REM's Shiny Happy People, but the message isn't wrong. The Bronco is not a tow vehicle and it's engineered in a way that it is unsafe to tow a lot.

So, let's not attack someone for what they want to do to their Bronco even if it's deadly. Let's ditch the suicide hotlines and have coin operated booths like in Futurama.

Telling someone they cannot tell someone else they should not do something? It's like complaining about people who complain, right?

The real question you have to ask yourself is: am I sober?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve personally escalated this on the forum. I’ve tweeted Levine and looped in Farley. Nothing.

probably doesn’t hurt to have a thread to take count of those in favor to go back with a major count of those concerned.

I’m off the BL for this matter unless it gets resolved. Reverting to OBX with higher gearing, minor front lift, wheels and 33 tires. I’m going to spend the same/more over a BL which comes with front lockers lift and front sway bar disco. Basically I’m losing 2-3k of content all for the sake of what I think will save me a few hundred pounds on GVWR. Sucks. But that’s my plan if we don’t get specifics before order time. The rear cargo of a 4 dr is 32-34” long. I NEED a roof rack and cargo box. Otherwise this truck serves little purpose in our family stable.

So count me in...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In 2021 can we please try not to attack someone for what THEY want to do with THEIR Bronco.
If what THEY want to do with THEIR Bronco exceeds ITS capabilities, then they are choosing the WRONG vehicle. Not so much an attack as some gentle advice.

Think about the F Series commercials you see. Some pretty tough looking trucks towing ridiculously large trailers. It's what they do, and they are good at it.

Now the Bronco vids we've seen, crawling over rocks, blasting across the desert, taking on the most storied 4x4 trails in the country, not a one of them pulling a trailer.

You pick your vehicle based on whether its capabilities match your needs.

Big Poppa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hate to say it, but the GVWR issue has me cross shopping 4Runner‘s. A TRD Pro has a GVWR = 6300 lbs, curb weight = 4750 lbs, and tow rating = 5000 lbs. They‘re roughly the same price as a 4 door Badlands with 2.7, auto, mid/high packages. I know I’d have to give up the removable top and some off road capability but it’s tempting. I’ll be waiting (impatiently) for final details from Ford before ordering.

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If what THEY want to do with THEIR Bronco exceeds ITS capabilities, then they are choosing the WRONG vehicle. Not so much an attack as some gentle advice.

Of course there is truth in that. Don’t expect it to be what it isn’t.

My problem is with the Overland build. Which FoMo themselves put out there (regardless if it being “preproduction” they made a big deal about it and are touring with it). Can’t put roof rails on — much less a tent on anything that looks remotely like that rig.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hate to say it, but the GVWR issue has me cross shopping 4Runner‘s. A TRD Pro has a GVWR = 6300 lbs, curb weight = 4750 lbs, and tow rating = 5000 lbs. They‘re roughly the same price as a 4 door Badlands with 2.7, auto, mid/high packages. I know I’d have to give up the removable top and some off road capability but it’s tempting. I’ll be waiting (impatiently) for final details from Ford before ordering.
Exactly this. Get what works for you. The Bronco, as it is, works for me.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Bronco is a class 1 vehicle which means the GVWR is <6,000. All models have the same GVWR.

here’s the posted curb weights:

E5FC22CE-3740-4C01-9941-368F07BBFBED.jpeg

in the end it doesn’t really matter. You can still do whatever you want. Ford can’t install a hitch on the FE but that doesn’t mean you can’t.
I don’t think all of them will have the same gvwr. If right at 6k gvwr, the lightest 4 door would then have 1500lbs payload, and payload number Ford previously gave was 1370 for the 4 dr. So that puts a gvwr on the lightest 4 dr curb weight at 5870. And if they all have 5870 gvwr then that means the heaviest 4 dr only has 550lbs payload.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Think about the F Series commercials you see. Some pretty tough looking trucks towing ridiculously large trailers. It's what they do, and they are good at it.

Now the Bronco vids we've seen, crawling over rocks, blasting across the desert, taking on the most storied 4x4 trails in the country, not a one of them pulling a trailer.

An artificial limitation simply to keep in the same arbitrary classification as a competitor isn’t a capability, and that’s what the whole problem here is. We don’t know what the broncos actually capable of for things like this because simply testing its actual capability would put it in a different “class” than the wrangler. Frankly, everybody would still put it as a direct competitor to the wrangler regardless of it is was technically a different class, just like plenty now compare the wrangler to other off road vehicles that are in different classes(4Runner and defender for example). It wouldn’t change any of its rock crawling capability to actually show the extent of its capabilities elsewhere.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My problem is with the Overland build. Which FoMo themselves put out there (regardless if it being “preproduction” they made a big deal about it and are touring with it). Can’t put roof rails on — much less a tent on anything that looks remotely like that rig.
I think we're seeing that it wasn't JUST the interior color mish-mash that lacked adult supervision.

This is more an example of either design engineering misinterpreting functionality objectives...or, marketing/communications going off on a usage application never intended.

Either way, it raises questions more serious than the 'color wheel'

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Of course there is truth in that. Don’t expect it to be what it isn’t.

Exactly, Ford has been showing off vehicles that the consumer can't have. Seems to be false advertising to be that careless and probably the reason we got the video Q/A the other night to try and right the ship.

It's Bullshit to parade around in a bad ass Bronco that is obviously a Lie.

0A6D7505-62D1-4716-8B25-8A47FA36DC26.jpeg

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always wonder who is hitting the trails that fraking tough with a heavy ass trailer ..... OOORRR, conversely .... who is hitting trails that fraking hard with their tow vehicle?
The two things don't mix....and the Bronco is an offroader.... currently, end of story.

I'd be all for Ford making an Overlander tow package that takes away some offroadyness for better towing capacity....just so that folks are clear that there will ALWAYS be a give and take between offroad prowess and towing capacity.

Who knows, since the Ranger is being rebuilt to meet the Bronco's standards, maybe they will make a Ranger (Tremor?) that will tow pretty decent and still have the offroad chops to get you pretty far off the beaten path ...after you drop the trailer, of course. ;)

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not being able to tow a camping trailer is one thing. Not being able to take the family camping with gear in back and on top is quite another.
Sponsored