Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I always wonder who is hitting the trails that fraking tough with a heavy ass trailer ..... OOORRR, conversely .... who is hitting trails that fraking hard with their tow vehicle?
The two things don't mix....and the Bronco is an offroader.... currently, end of story.

I'd be all for Ford making an Overlander tow package that takes away some offroadyness for better towing capacity....just so that folks are clear that there will ALWAYS be a give and take between offroad prowess and towing capacity.

Who knows, since the Ranger is being rebuilt to meet the Bronco's standards, maybe they will make a Ranger (Tremor?) that will tow pretty decent and still have the offroad chops to get you pretty far off the beaten path ...after you drop the trailer, of course. ;)
They are going to make the Ranger Tremor.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/09/14/ford-ranger-tremor.html
Sponsored

mike12779

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they are donating the Filson vehicles to NFF, they must be safe with all that equipment right? Maybe the 50 gallon water tank cannot be filled :unsure:

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I will reiterate: UNLESS YOU ARE DRIVING A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WEIGHT POLICE!!! When you see me pulling a 5000 lb trailer after making the modifications necessary to do it safely, I'll give you a quarter to call someone who cares. Use your own common sense, folks. Don't over load your vehicle without making suitable modifications, whether they are to the vehicle or the way you drive it. Not reinventing the wheel here. Ford is required to keep vehicles under a certain weight, we are not.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We all (myself included) get wrapped around the axle discussing perceived short comings, apparent oversights and trading verbal blows on a vehicle that's not even in production yet. It really speaks to the passion we all have for this stylized lump of metal and plastic. I personally have never been so excited about an upcoming vehicle. It ain't perfect, never will be for everyone, but it is, to a certain extent, a blank canvas that will allow us to make it what we need it to be. Upgrade the suspension so you can haul more stuff or flex better on a rocky trail. Add the bits and pieces needed to turn it into your vision of the perfect Bronco.

Peace out you Bronco crazies.:)

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Listen to the BN Q&A #2. Ford explained that it is an artificial limitation of their current production line that the GVWR is the maximum of available options (not calculated for each vehicle) so they had to arbitrarily limit the available options in each trim. Not ideal, and presumably they will fix their system eventually. Trying to figure out why Ford chose specific options to eliminate in different trims won't be productive, since it was an arbitrary decision.

Payload roughly the same as wrangler according to prelim spec sheet:
Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all zzz
No this is the MAX payload. So it could apply to a base model certainly, but not a Sasquatch badland or FE.
I have already listened to the interview. Yes it explains clearly that due to GVWR, a Bronco can’t get all options.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I'm wrong on this but a good first approach would be to ask Levine if he can elaborate on Estaban's statement that if you want a roof rack on a 4dr sasquatch you will need to wait until '22 to order your Bronco. If we can get an explanation of what the key differences are to allow the roof rack in '22 but not '21, I think it would shed some light on part of this mystery. I also think Levine would be more likely to answer this question since we are quoting Estaban. Remember he asked for source of video when it was mentioned Estaban sayed the Auto with the 2.7 was a steal.
good point on both. Wait till 22 because why, what’s changing? And yes it’s a steal.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If what THEY want to do with THEIR Bronco exceeds ITS capabilities, then they are choosing the WRONG vehicle. Not so much an attack as some gentle advice.

Think about the F Series commercials you see. Some pretty tough looking trucks towing ridiculously large trailers. It's what they do, and they are good at it.

Now the Bronco vids we've seen, crawling over rocks, blasting across the desert, taking on the most storied 4x4 trails in the country, not a one of them pulling a trailer.

You pick your vehicle based on whether its capabilities match your needs.
which capability are you talking about?? 680 lbs is no capability. It’s 40% less than a compact sedan. It doesn’t fit people inside. That’s no capability at all. In fact it’s so unbelievable that I have big doubts about this 6000 lbs GVWR. Thus my thread so we get the actual number and we can decide like you say if it fits our use or not. Fact is it’s all speculation, Ford doesn’t give us the number, we don’t know the capability, so we can’t decide. Simple. So all I am asking is support from others to ask Ford. You don’t have to do it.

All I know is if GVWR for a Sasquatch Badland or FE is 6000 then it’s the joke of the century. If all you do is driving this vehicle alone with a 2lbs bottle of coke going to the mall then fine for you. But I can tell you if that thing has really a 680 payload then a lot of Broncos will be ridden illegally. Most of them.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If what THEY want to do with THEIR Bronco exceeds ITS capabilities, then they are choosing the WRONG vehicle. Not so much an attack as some gentle advice.

Think about the F Series commercials you see. Some pretty tough looking trucks towing ridiculously large trailers. It's what they do, and they are good at it.

Now the Bronco vids we've seen, crawling over rocks, blasting across the desert, taking on the most storied 4x4 trails in the country, not a one of them pulling a trailer.

You pick your vehicle based on whether its capabilities match your needs.
So a Bronco shouldnt be able to do this and tow a small offroad trailer that is just as capable as any vehicle towing it? Got it!

384C5F66-D764-47BB-860D-23EEC6F25517.jpeg

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know the difference between the newer f250s and 350? The badge on the side of the truck & sticker on the door listing the GVWR. If you want the extra GVWR/payload sticker, you can pay $1k for it and get the 350 over the 250. If you’re in a state w/ strict gvwr rules/taxes/registration fees, then just get the 250, it can do everything the 350 does.

when Jeep rolled out the 21 Gladiator w/ the ecodiesel (300-400lbs heavier than 3.6 gasser), it magically had 300 extra lbs in GVWR in the sticker without changing anything structural or suspension from the gas version.

Starting to think this is the same for the Bronco. I mean the Warthog will be the heaviest of all. They’ll just slap a higher rating sticker on it.

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not being able to tow a camping trailer is one thing. Not being able to take the family camping with gear in back and on top is quite another.
Amen. I’m not worried about towing much of anything. I want roof racks on my Wildtrak so I can load more gear and luggage when my wife and two kids take trips. I’ve tweeted Jim Farley and Levine and received zero feedback. I think Ford needs to speak out on safety concerns with aftermarket roof racks for 21MY. I don’t think anyone has enough accurate information to justify safely installing aftermarket roof racks on these trims that aren’t allowed from Ford. I would be devastated to learn that someone didn’t have enough knowledge about this, installed roof racks (+ gear), and had an incident caused by this that resulted in someone getting hurt.

I have a 7/14 reservation and want to push my build as far back as I can so I can get a 22MY, assuming this roof rack business is taken care of for then. Ford is clearly not ready for this vehicle to go in production. They should just not rush for 21MY goals and just get this stuff corrected then produced as 22MY.

The latest video with BN and Esteban is embarrassing and made me have little to no confidence in the 21MY. It’s what we don’t know. It’s taken us 6 months to receive answers about things that should’ve been released at the time of the rollout. I’m so worried about the stuff we don’t know and/or stuff we don’t know what to even ask yet.

I’m still holding my reservation and very eager and excited for my new Bronco, but I would be lying if I said I’m not very nervous to purchase a $60k vehicle sight unseen and after watching this piss poor of a rollout.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will reiterate: UNLESS YOU ARE DRIVING A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WEIGHT POLICE!!! When you see me pulling a 5000 lb trailer after making the modifications necessary to do it safely, I'll give you a quarter to call someone who cares. Use your own common sense, folks. Don't over load your vehicle without making suitable modifications, whether they are to the vehicle or the way you drive it. Not reinventing the wheel here. Ford is required to keep vehicles under a certain weight, we are not.
Not to correct you but in PA, the PSP troopers take combination weights very seriously wether commercial or not and will fine you if your combination is not legal.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco was designed as a niche vehicle with emphasis on off-road prowess with a roof that comes off. Not as a people mover (mini van), cargo hauler/trailering (pick up), or for overlanding with a family (JGC/4Runner/etc all.) More like the equivalent of an off road minimalist sports car (Miata) instead of a grand tourer (Panamera). More beach buggy than bug out vehicle might be closer. Like any specialized tool, it is only good at a specialized task. Sure, a wrench can be used as a hammer, we've all been there, but it isn't a very good one. Blaming Ford for the Bronco not being a larger, higher payload overlander is like yelling at Sears because my Craftsman crescent wrench won't drive my roofing nails in straight. As to the GVWR uproar as of late; The numbers have been on the Ford Bronco website since the reveal (or shortly thereafter), not hidden away in a dark room. I figure most people had looked at them, the first thing I do when seriously looking at a truck is looking up payload to make sure it will work for me and I was pissed at the time, but understood that it was a specialized vehicle with trade-offs. I understand and empathize with those just discovering it, I really do. If it helps, Ford really did have all the information out there to put together, they weren't trying to pull a fast one. (Although the obviously overweight adventure concept vehicles were pushing it, hard.). It really seems like the Bronco marketing people did not talk to the engineers or the bean counters to see if their stuff was reality based. I hope that once the anger fades, a satisfactory solution is found for all and that you enjoy the Bronco (or other) that fits you best!

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bronco was designed as a niche vehicle with emphasis on off-road prowess with a roof that comes off. Not as a people mover (mini van), cargo hauler/trailering (pick up), or for overlanding with a family (JGC/4Runner/etc all.) More like the equivalent of an off road minimalist sports car (Miata) instead of a grand tourer (Panamera). More beach buggy than bug out vehicle might be closer. Like any specialized tool, it is only good at a specialized task. Sure, a wrench can be used as a hammer, we've all been there, but it isn't a very good one. Blaming Ford for the Bronco not being a larger, higher payload overlander is like yelling at Sears because my Craftsman crescent wrench won't drive my roofing nails in straight. As to the GVWR uproar as of late; The numbers have been on the Ford Bronco website since the reveal (or shortly thereafter), not hidden away in a dark room. I figure most people had looked at them, the first thing I do when seriously looking at a truck is looking up payload to make sure it will work for me and I was pissed at the time, but understood that it was a specialized vehicle with trade-offs. I understand and empathize with those just discovering it, I really do. If it helps, Ford really did have all the information out there to put together, they weren't trying to pull a fast one. (Although the obviously overweight adventure concept vehicles were pushing it, hard.). It really seems like the Bronco marketing people did not talk to the engineers or the bean counters to see if their stuff was reality based. I hope that once the anger fades, a satisfactory solution is found for all and that you enjoy the Bronco (or other) that fits you best!
5 seats for 680 pounds of payload is definitely an oversight by Ford.

Average passenger weight in an airplane is 190 summer and 195 winter. The Bronco isn't even capable of 4 people let alone 5.

They paraded around an overland 5 passenger 4dr Bronco with a roof rack, roof mounted tent, front winch and tow package, yet that build is over weight.

While I hold a 7/13 Failure Edition Bronco reservation, this weight issue is a major concern.

$65k flag ship vehicle with no roof rack, no tow package and isn't capable of carrying the advertised 5 passengers, but yet we should be ok with that?
Sponsored