Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't need it to tow 10,000lbs. Not even close. As @Cookieck pointed out above, I don't think anyone on this forum has asked for that. For me depending on GCWR and payload numbers 4,500lbs would probably do just fine, but everyone is different. If I did need 10,000lbs though, how would a Wrangler or 4Runner help? Or even an Explorer or Tahoe? That's a half-ton tow cap.
That's my point. What are you comparing it to? It's different than everything else. Yeah it's cool because it's a new Bronco, but will it do what you need?

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to correct you but in PA, the PSP troopers take combination weights very seriously wether commercial or not and will fine you if your combination is not legal.
“Sir, we’re going to need your wife to exit the vehicle and step on this scale for us.”

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appears based on people’s response here is that I need to trade in my ‘17 f150 supercrew for a f350, so I can load the 4dr BL and small offroad camper onto a gooseneck and safely tow to our destination and still enjoy the BL for what its made to do.

But then I think...why the hell would I go spending $140k between f350/bronco when I have a built LJ wrangler in my garage or a perfectly capable f150 that sees more difficult offroad trails than 97% of bronco owners will ever see.

the BL was to replace my wife’s GC trailhawk that also sees more difficult trails than most broncos will see.

Guess I should tell her no kid if she’s getting a Bronco. We can’t have the extra weight of a kid, carseat, diaper bag or a pregnant wife. That should go over well!

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clearly designing a specialty vehicle these days taking into account regulations and everything owners want is not a simple undertaking.
THIS is the core issue & the reason for a lot of apprehension. There's not much about designing a brand new vehicle (or publishing a functional B&P site) that IS simple. But this planning & execution is Ford's business - and in some areas, they've just done a faceplant.

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
See my post just now. Levine is coming with some sad news. Maybe we got their attention on GVWR. I am very concerned this could be a delay for all 2021 to be pushed back. Or maybe Sasquatch itself to be pushed back for weight issues. Who knows. Either way, they will spin this as COVID related. Like some supplier that makes xyz for the Sasquatch package is causing delays.

Last edited:

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Per the table posted earlier, there are two classes of SUVs....... “small” and “standard”. If we believe Ford is getting all bent out of shape trying to keep the big Bronco under 6000 lbs (therefore, “small”).....what is a Bronco Sport?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Per the table posted earlier, there are two classes of SUVs....... “small” and “standard”. If we believe Ford is getting all bent out of shape trying to keep the big Bronco under 6000 lbs (therefore, “small”).....what is a Bronco Sport?
chum bait

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
See my post just now. Levine is coming with some sad news. Maybe we got their attention on GVWR. I am very concerned this could be a delay for all 2021 to be pushed back. Or maybe Sasquatch itself to be pushed back for weight issues. Who knows. Either way, they will spin this as COVID related. Like some supplier that makes xyz for the Sasquatch package is causing delays.
Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all A128B716-F888-4524-8D21-F974069F67D0

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Listen to the BN Q&A #2. Ford explained that it is an artificial limitation of their current production line that the GVWR is the maximum of available options (not calculated for each vehicle) so they had to arbitrarily limit the available options in each trim. Not ideal, and presumably they will fix their system eventually. Trying to figure out why Ford chose specific options to eliminate in different trims won't be productive, since it was an arbitrary decision.

Payload roughly the same as wrangler according to prelim spec sheet:
Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all A128B716-F888-4524-8D21-F974069F67D0
Adding the roof rack with break the assembly line! Like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Mechanical engineers always put significant Factor of Safety into their designs (3x for static rigs is typical). Adding a roof rack (maybe 1% of the Bronco's total weight at most) must be making the Factor of Safety 2.99 ---- so no roof rack mister man!

Sponsored

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone with a family and Gear, or campers and overlanders, should be concerned about the Bronco high weight and its likely low GVWR. The fact that the First edition can’t have a hitch, that Sasquatch can’t get a roof rack, and that a stock Badlands can’t either when you put the 2.7 on it tells a lot. It’s definitely not a height issue (can’t be for the hitch, or the low Badland on 33s). So it’s a weight issue.

I want to know the GVWR and payload or GVWR and curb weight for each trim so I can make the right decision when ordering. If you want too, then here is the solution:

Anybody with a Twitter account here, myself included, please ask Mr Levine about this. If he gets the question 50 times he will answer.

GVWR = curb weight + payload, so we need any combination of 2. For all trim and engine combinations.

example: can you please provide GVWR and curb weight for EACH trim and each engine combination? We need this before ordering. Thank you.

Edit: For everyone to understand the problem, if the Bronco has a max GVWR of 6000 like many stated (because that’s the max by Wrangler class of vehicle for Ford to legally say the Bronco compete in the same class). Then that means a FE 4 door 2.7 (which we already know weight 5320) has a payload of 680, or 40% less than a Corolla, or just enough for 4 adults and no gear.

thanks all.
Interesting that you mentioned it, but the weight just isnt a concern of mine, I have never thought of it. I keep weight low and centered in my vehicle and I dont tow a trailer. If my vehicle is heavy and packed with family stuff then I drove slower and make sure my cornering is smooth, slow and steady. I dont fill the tank at every stop and I throw out trash and make sure we dont add any more weight during the trip. I'd like for the vehicle to be lighter but I really just want it to be a BRONCO and I will use it however they design it and use it to support the way we live. No worries, we'll find a way to make it work, but if people are not happy with the design then they should drop out, no harm done.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You're right, it's hard to compare it to a corvette. But if you're planning on pulling a 30ft camper up to the mountains with the '85 Bears O line then you might want to think about other options
There is an entire industry built around off road trailers, designed and built to stay under the Jeep's 3,500 lb tow capacity limit. The trailer, family, dog and gear should be a minimal expectation of a brand new, designed from scratch, off road vehicle (no one is asking to tow a 30ft trailer!).

Google Search: off road jeep trailers

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all Off Road Trailers

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
lol. Those people coming here to say “Bronco is fine if it can haul 40% less than a Corolla, if you want more than 2 people in your car buy a F150”. Seriously....
most marketing by Ford show fully loaded Broncos, including with overlanding gear. So no I am not dreaming that need, Ford markets it. So stop BS us here.

it’s also for that reason that I have a hard time believing a FE has a GVWR of only 6000. That’s why we need a confirmation from Ford.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Haha no,yall are making this thing to be all your worldly possessions on wheels. You'd be better off buying a van down by the river

BroncMO

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The sad news coming in is COVID deaths, hence the statement to wear a mask. It's all in the tweet. Tweet has nothing to do with the Bronco.
Sponsored