broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unlike many people here, I don’t care about the Bronco specifically, or Ford.
I have a recent AWD SUV and we go wild camping and overlanding most weekends and vacation so a lot. More times than not I have been fully blocked because of our SUV. Not enough clearance here, lack of crawl ability there etc. I have 0 interest in off roading, I just want to go to the Most scenic and remote places in CO, UT etc.

So I know a SUV doesn’t cut it. I looked into more offroad capable vehicle like the Grand Cherokee but it’s very old and the new gen is not close to be available. Same with the 4Runner. I tried the new Defender and like it, but it’s 60K for my build and bad reliability. The defender would have been perfect since it will also be our Daily driver.
we tried the Wrangler but it’s too off road focuses with the dual solid axles. A Bronco Sport Badlands with bigger tires could be ideal considering the videos we have seen it’s more than capable but it’s way too small, we need a lot more cargo room.

So the only option left is a Bronco. And I love the style so I though why not. Then about the trim it will be either an Outer Banks with 33” tires or a Wildtrack because I would be very very upset to spend 50K and still be blocked on a trail due to lack of capability. I don’t need the Badlands sway bar disco though.

So here you go, that’s my “honest” analysis of what I need and how I got there.
Sponsored

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Skiing. Road trips. Field work. Camping. Getting to work when the weather is bad. Pulling Jeeps out of snow banks. Spring and Fall driving with the top off whenever I want a convertible. And drive some other beater half the time so I can get 20-30 years of good use out of this vehicle (just sold my long-term 1992 Ranger). Will it see Moab? Yep. Probably not its primary use though.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IF we start going back to the office THEN 20 miles a day on city streets and highways BUT now I can go over the potholes vs around them :p
No Problem and No detours but straight ahead.
Ford Bronco Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use 1598470132243

Major_Bullsteak

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy ZR2 Bison, JK Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I intend to have the baddest looking Badsqautch my local Forest Service Roads have ever seen. Those little ruts and bumps will quake when they see my ride deftly taking them on.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh this is a very valid question and conumdrum.

In my dreams I offroad like crazy, going through trails and mud, climinbing over rocks!!!!

But yea, I'll probably hit some dirt roads.... and maybe do some offroad Snow Runs in the winter where I won't damage my 60k Bronco.

So I'm torn between a Basesquatch or just a Black Diamond with 33's.......

Sponsored

JayKrup

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Daily Driver medium off-roading, Also to get to remote camping, MOAB at least once.

bandy

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 97 Miata, 09 BMW 128i track car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use DSC_0371 2.JPG

I'm all about using vehicles for what they're designed for and more!

I loaded up my miata with a trailer hitch and all my gear to cross the country in 6 point harnesses in racing seats and drove 8600 miles from Atlanta to the west coast and back.

I purchased a mint condition S2000 a few years back and loved that car but cared too much about retaining its value that I grew tired of the car. I kept finding excuses to not drive it and all the fun was gone.

I'm unwilling to let the $50k price tag change how I approach the Bronco because the whole point is to enjoy it. I fully intend to do just that.

So what will I do with the Bronco?

Here's the plan:
* Drive from Atlanta, GA across the US and work my way to Alaska (at least Washington)
* Attend the Off-Roadeo event and as many get togethers as I can manage
* Do some camping and find guides and groups to learn off-roading of all types
* A group I'm a part of that sets up trackdays plans to rent out the off-road proving grounds at these same race tracks and host events. You'd be wise to bet I'll be there!

I want something to make memories in. Could I do it all in a Camry? Most it, probably. It doesn't change the fact that I want a Bronco!

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
With all this discussion of trims, options, and prices, There's a lot of hamsters running around in peoples heads thinking about what they're going to go with. I see people asking questions about should I get (insert) trim with these options or this trim with these options. Now this is good, we're thinking about what we want to spend our hard earned money on, but lets take a minute and think about our needs and intended use of the Bronco.

Now I'm not trying to bash anyone here, but lets be honest with ourselves. How many of us are going to spend $50k-$60k on a totally optioned out off-road trim and go out to the trails to beat on it like it's a 30 year old Toyota? For a lot of people this will be their first off-road vehicle, and off-road has many different definitions depending on who you are. We all might have intentions of going to Rubicon or Moab to tackle the toughest trails, but in reality fire roads and mild dirt trails that sedans can get by on will probably be the extent for the average person. Now before you hardcore off-roaders flip tables, yes I'm aware there are some people out there that will push the limits, but they will most likely be a small majority.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying what they want, just trying to start a discussion about what YOUR intended use and needs are and how they align with the trim/options you have in mind.
Base, 2.7L, hardtop, Sasquatch - nothing else. I will use the heck out of the bigger engine and need a hardtop. Sasquatch is mainly for the looks and the higher ride. When I want to hop over the median strip, I'll do it like a champ!

When the Covid Crazy bureaucrats come to force vaccininate my family and I we'll Mad Max it across the desert at high speed and race to join our heavily armed brothers in the mid west.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is silver lake Dunes? I’ve always wanted to go with my truck but always afraid it gets too busy to go anywhere.
In the past, almost any time during the week you had the place to yourself. I would avoid the big holidays and Mothers Day. Also, look for special events that might bring a large group. I have literally been there after Labor Day completely alone for half a day. The second half of the day happened to include two semis loaded with test gear from Ford and GM and two sand rails. That was a fun scene. Think they just happened to get there on the same day, with sand rails and test gear? GM semi was black and the Ford semi was white btw :) I moved back to MI recently and have not been there yet. Others may know more about current crowds.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m buying this for my wife. This vehicle will he uses to go camping and fishing and haul stuff up and allow us to go on trails a Challenger or Cruze can’t. Outside of that it’ll be a daily driven, grocery getter.

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use DSC_0371 2.JPG

I'm all about using vehicles for what they're designed for and more!

I loaded up my miata with a trailer hitch and all my gear to cross the country in 6 point harnesses in racing seats and drove 8600 miles from Atlanta to the west coast and back.

I purchased a mint condition S2000 a few years back and loved that car but cared too much about retaining its value that I grew tired of the car. I kept finding excuses to not drive it and all the fun was gone.

I'm unwilling to let the $50k price tag change how I approach the Bronco because the whole point is to enjoy it. I fully intend to do just that.

So what will I do with the Bronco?

Here's the plan:
* Drive from Atlanta, GA across the US and work my way to Alaska (at least Washington)
* Attend the Off-Roadeo event and as many get togethers as I can manage
* Do some camping and find guides and groups to learn off-roading of all types
* A group I'm a part of that sets up trackdays plans to rent out the off-road proving grounds at these same race tracks and host events. You'd be wise to bet I'll be there!

I want something to make memories in. Could I do it all in a Camry? Most it, probably. It doesn't change the fact that I want a Bronco!
I drove 2 different 4Dr Rubicons from Austin TX to Panama and back, two winters in a row. Spent a few months doing it each winter and it was amazing. I'd highly recommend in the Bronco! Nicaragua was the place I liked most.

mikeandmiki

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-350 Platinum, '16 Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m getting a 2dr Wildtrak. It will be my daily driver with the occasional break so my F-350 doesn’t get lonely and feel unappreciated. Most likely will not off-road it unless you count the 1.5 miles of dirt road I have to drive on to get to and from my house.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think I'm going to need the sasquatch package for those weekend trips to Costco!!!!

I'm either building a base rig 2 door to go wheelin in or a 55k mall crawler that doubles as a pavement princess!!! I havent decided yet.

bandy

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 97 Miata, 09 BMW 128i track car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove 2 different 4Dr Rubicons from Austin TX to Panama and back, two winters in a row. Spent a few months doing it each winter and it was amazing. I'd highly recommend in the Bronco! Nicaragua was the place I liked most.
I have to admit that I'm a little nervous traveling south but it's definitely something I want to do. I just need to do more research since I'll be in more remote areas and potentially places where I don't know the language. I love exploring on 4 wheels!
Sponsored