Sponsored

Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use

tigereye

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cincinnati (2020) -> Hilton Head, SC (2021)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Pilot, 2017 CRV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Using mine as a convertible beach cruiser. The most dirt it will see is the packed dirt road between our neighborhood and beach access, or the occasional grass parking lot.
Sponsored

Pitpup

Black Diamond
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang GT, 2008 Ford Ranger Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
but they will most likely be a small majority.
You had me at small... majority? Not so much. (Relax, I'm the king of faux pas!) Overlanding, here!

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This one time I was trying to get to a movie theater parking lot and missed my turn. Thankfully I had a truck then so I just jumped the curb and overlanded the 3 foot wide grass median to the parking lot. Made it in time to miss previews but not actual movie!

So yeah, that.

In all seriousness, my BD will spend most of it's time as a DD then occasional minor off-roading. Rear locker is probably more than I need but I want it.

Sponsored

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me it will be on light to moderate dirt roads, camping, hunting, adventure off roading and daily driver. No serious rock crawling.

Wahoowa

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Camping
Occasional off-road trail
Daily driver

C2C1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If we go through with the order ours will be a daily driver although I have a company car so not sure how “daily” that’ll be.

Reserved a Badlands in a rush since the system was finally up and at first glance it appeared to be the closest match to the ‘09 H3 Alpha that I once owned.

The kids are 3, 1, and due in late December so camping and exploring is still a bit away but trying to buy once cry once.

Still debating which route to go and have broken it down to three goals I could pursue;
  1. Modern 4-door in Velocity Blue with black accents setup for light over landing and simply looking sharp.
  2. Retro 4-door in Race Red with a white roof and grill and “chrome” the door handles and wheels. Essentially to be the modern cousin of my fathers ‘77.
  3. Tactical/Survival... given the current hostile climate it’s more enticing to go with a base 4-door in Black then have it coated with a Matte Finish and decked out like a Miniature Lenco “BearCat” (they are based on Fords ?)
So each would fulfill a desired purpose with some flair at some point for fun, it’s just a matter of deciding...

7ToeJoe

Base
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350,F150,CJ-7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2 door base manual, would buy Squatch if I could get it with the manual.
It will replace my 2017 base model 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4x4 Tacoma, which has been used to haul dirtbikes, pull trailers, and has been used offroad more than most people's jeeps. The yota got wheeled in 15 different states from swampy Florida to over 13k feet in the Rockies, and some pretty demanding trails along the way, often getting wheels off the ground or climbing inclines that are difficult to walk up.
I had 33" tires and no lockers but the factory traction control worked pretty well.
My bronco will see some pretty serious offroad several times a year, often in the middle of a multi-thousand-mile road trip across the continent. If I can't order my manual base model with lockers, I'll install some myself as soon as the warranty is out.
33" tires will be installed on the way home from the dealer.
If the Bronco doesn't hold up to the abuse, I'll go back to a Tacoma, but hopefully a higher trim level with a v6 and rear locker.
Nice KLR!

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It will be my DD, but I am lucky enough to have access to a van-pool vehicle subsidized bu Uncle Sam to cover the mileage to and from work each day, preventing me from adding 60 miles on my rig each day in just commuting.

I do a fair bit of ff-roading but nothing like the Rubicon any more. I have to have at least a rear locker for stuff I do, but a front locker is just gravy. 33s are a must, but 35s would also be amazing, because why not? Heavy duty skids are a must. I'm also old enough now that I really, really appreciate creature comforts that I didn't care about in my youth. So really, a BL 4 door (family of 5) with Lux package is where I'm at. Adding the Sasquatch because I know I'll regret not getting it. I'd venture to say my Bronco will definitely get used as intended/designed, but it's capabilities will exceed my needs. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sponsored

gonyr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine will probably never ever be off road. I need to have 4x4 to deal with unplowed roads in a Buffalo winter. And I want to be able to take the top and doors off for our great summer weather. Mid package and automatic are a definite must haves. High package and advanced 4x4 are almost must have items as well. Absolutely no use at all for Sasquatch except that it looks awesome. Most likely will be getting Outer Banks plus upgrades or Wildtrak as is.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With all this discussion of trims, options, and prices, There's a lot of hamsters running around in peoples heads thinking about what they're going to go with. I see people asking questions about should I get (insert) trim with these options or this trim with these options. Now this is good, we're thinking about what we want to spend our hard earned money on, but lets take a minute and think about our needs and intended use of the Bronco.

Now I'm not trying to bash anyone here, but lets be honest with ourselves. How many of us are going to spend $50k-$60k on a totally optioned out off-road trim and go out to the trails to beat on it like it's a 30 year old Toyota? For a lot of people this will be their first off-road vehicle, and off-road has many different definitions depending on who you are. We all might have intentions of going to Rubicon or Moab to tackle the toughest trails, but in reality fire roads and mild dirt trails that sedans can get by on will probably be the extent for the average person. Now before you hardcore off-roaders flip tables, yes I'm aware there are some people out there that will push the limits, but they will most likely be a small majority.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying what they want, just trying to start a discussion about what YOUR intended use and needs are and how they align with the trim/options you have in mind.
I'm gonna wheel mine. That's why I reserved a Badlands. But your absolutely right. I'm not going on any hard trails to begin with in my brand spanking new, $55,000 ish Bronco. I'll stick to moderate trails at best for a while. I'm no expert off roader but I'm not a beginner either. I've got an old tired 94 Bronco that needs some work before I'd feel comfortable driving as far as I need to get to any trails near me. Let alone do some hard core wheeling once I get there. Rather than put the money into the old 94. I'm going to sell her as part of the down payment on my new Bronco. Good food for thought though. Thanks for starting the thread.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had 2 Raptors in the past, 2010 and 2013. They were both my daily drivers but I attended several Raptor runs and excursions. I drove them there, beat the crap out of them, and drove them home to continue daily driving them. I guarantee there will similar get-togethers with these Broncos and I am looking forward to it. While I am not exactly a hard-core offroader I definitely want to make sure my Bronco is equipped for these types of trips.
Broncos are Built Wild! What are you gonna do? You gotta go!

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wife’s daily and she wants to do all the trails we did with my Fj the first year we got it and she is driving. Figured 2 door badlands with 37’s she won’t have any problems.

2AE6BC29-E7F0-49A2-979F-0F3DD29DEB77.jpeg
Very cool! Great pic.
Sponsored