Sponsored

Lets discuss why there should/not be a v8 option!

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
My state they don’t check emissions at all. In fact I know a few places for $10 you get a sticker and can pass inspection on a totaled car. Ymmv🤷🏻‍♂️
I have no trouble getting anything I want passed here regardless of emissions laws, I’m just trying to remember how it’s SUPPOSE to be.
Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no trouble getting anything I want passed here regardless of emissions laws, I’m just trying to remember how it’s SUPPOSE to be.
Idk how it’s supposed to be? But California will tell you lol

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also you are incorrect, Ford does not have to comply with these particular EPA regulations. They are free to slap the 6.8L into everything they produce and charge customers a couple hundred dollars extra to satisfy the bureaucrats with their pay offs as FCA does.
Also you are incorrect, Ford does not have to comply with these particular EPA regulations. They are free to slap the 6.8L into everything they produce and charge customers a couple hundred dollars extra to satisfy the bureaucrats with their pay offs as FCA does.
I'm not arguing with you. It's just what I've read about what ford has said. V8 would be cool fo the sound esthetics but not so much for fuel economy. To each his own. He'll its your bronco.....if you want a v8 I'll stand right there with you! I'll sign a petition if needed. After driving my 2018.3.5 ecoboost in sport mode.......thats plenty of power for me. Good luck on your endevors!

Sponsored

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not arguing with you. It's just what I've read about what ford has said. V8 would be cool for the sound esthetics but not so much for fuel economy. To each his own. Hell its your bronco.....if you want a v8 I'll stand right there with you! I'll sign a petition if needed. After driving my 2018 with the 3.5 ecoboost in sport mode.......thats plenty of power for me. Good luck on your endevors!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has a weaker torque at every RPM, too, so the Coyote isn't really anyone's ideal truck engine. The appeal is strictly aural, I imagine.
It’s definitely based on sound, not performance. The 5.0 is a non-starter anyway. Maybe it’s lighter then the 2.7, but it’s not easier to package. My 2.7 F150 smoked my 5.0 peer and acceleration wise, even with 3.55 vs. 3.73 gear and gets 19 mpg vs 17 mpg combined long term mileage. With all the “tricks” done to get it emissions compliant and get the economy up, I don’t know if it is any more reliable either. The sound? Totally different story. 5.0 sounds way, way better!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It seems a bit more complicated. There are emissions rules and mileage rules. It affects vehicles up to 8500 GVW and then over that number, if memory serves. The formula and compliance is complicated and certifying each power plant takes time and money, which has to ultimately be passed on the the customer. It is “easier” in the medium duty truck market due to the different tier of requirements. Chrysler has very few models left, they mostly produce Jeeps and Dodge Ram now. I am. It sure how the formula works, but I can tell you it has an effect, this the $75k 392 JKU.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It seems a bit more complicated. There are emissions rules and mileage rules. It affects vehicles up to 8500 GVW and then over that number, if memory serves. The formula and compliance is complicated and certifying each power plant takes time and money, which has to ultimately be passed on the the customer. It is “easier” in the medium duty truck market due to the different tier of requirements. Chrysler has very few models left, they mostly produce Jeeps and Dodge Ram now. I am. It sure how the formula works, but I can tell you it has an effect, this the $75k 392 JKU.
It doesn’t help that there are fools willing to pay $50k and be stuck with a V6.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It doesn’t help that there are fools willing to pay $50k and be stuck with a V6.
I think it’s funny people still buy the 5.0 at a premium when they can have more power and better economy for less money and then be stuck with a motor that has all sorts of bolt on and engineering “tricks” to meet EPA compliance and have decent ratings. I had my fill of low tension rings and cylinder deactivation in my 5.3l Chevy that used 2 quarts of oil every 5k miles, I loved my last Coyote, but I have moved on.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
stuck with a motor that has all sorts of bolt on and engineering “tricks” to meet EPA compliance and have decent ratings.
Did we go back to talking about turbo engines all of a sudden?
GMs fixed the cylinder deactivation issue with the LT series engines and their V8s are perfectly comfortable getting mid 20s on the highway in 4 door trucks.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 7.3L Tremor is the only competitor I’m considering against the Bronco.
Bronco is for my wife.

F-250 vs Ram 2500 at the moment for me.

It does almost burn that for what the wife is spending on a pretty basic Black Diamond with a 4cyl I could get a pretty nice V8 3/4 ton truck...

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did we go back to talking about turbo engines all of a sudden?
GMs fixed the cylinder deactivation issue with the LT series engines and their V8s are perfectly comfortable getting mid 20s on the highway in 4 door trucks.
I call bullsh*t on Chevy 4x4 Crew Cabs v8s getting mid twenties. Maybe at 50 mph on flat ground. If there is no mileage penalty and manufacturers can put big v8 engines in 4x4 crew cans, why did Chevy introduce a turbo 4 in the full size? Never mind, this is a conversation going nowhere.
Sponsored