Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I spend some time over on the ranger 5g forum and there are countless threads on the soft, squishy brakes. Being as the Bronco is on the same platform I’m sure they are using the same, if not very similar brakes. If I remember correctly, I believe those guys were fixing it with forscan, and some were even bleeding their brakes.
The Bronco is not on the same platform as the current Ranger. It’s an adaptation of the next-gen Ranger platform, for whatever that’s worth.
Sponsored

OP
OP
goalie

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like maybe theres an issue on mine. To be clear, I've driven off-road vehicles for decades and still have a heavily modded Jeep JK parked next to the Bronco. The jeep definietly takes longer to brake than my sports cars ever have, for sure, but it never left me scared I was going to smash the person in front of me. I've been leaving way more distance between me and other cars than when I drive the JK, still not feeling secure.

I'll search for the other thread that was mentioned and maybe hit the dealer up.

bronco and jeep.jpg

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have always felt like the brakes on my 2DR Base 2.3 are adequate to good. To the OP, if you are feeling like they are underperforming to an unsafe level, I would be concerned something is not working correctly. Get them checked.

And to confirm what others have noted: the rotors and calipers and pads are exactly the same on all trims regardless of squatch package, but the 2.7 has electric boost system and the 2.3 has vacuum system.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is a 2 door, but other than the flex in the suspension gives no indication of anything other than a solid, controlled stop. Honestly, they are pretty good. I'd have it checked out just to be sure.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ok, so I've only had mine for 48 hours, but holy wow those are crap. I immidiately starting hanging way back in traffic, far more than I usually would (ok, maybe I follow to close normally) but even then, a suddent stop in front of me and I'm just hoping I can stop.

Does anyone have thoughts on upgrades? These have been on the Ranger for a while, are there options we can use from there? This is a great vehicle otherwise, but those brakes are scary!
I use Wilwood's on my Jeep JK and brakes will be one of the 1st upgrades on my Bronco when I get it since I plan on running 37's.

Sponsored

RangerRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Ranger FX4 and a Bronco BD 2 Door and have no issues with the brakes on either but i do remember feeling weird about the brakes when i went from my performance cars to the truck so maybe it just takes some getting used to? But overall with a 2019 Ranger and almost 4k on the bronco havent had any issues with the brakes.

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Find a back road and test it out. Sometimes things can get in your head.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People think the brakes are the same on the 2.3 and the 2.7. There're wrong. Electronic assist vs the problematic vacuum assist. Car and Driver has been critical of the 2.3 brakes in the Ranger and the new Bronco. Multiple folks on this site have told stories of hair raising catastrophic failures.
If you think they work good in your Bronco then maybe you need a better tape measure.

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing to keep in mind. If you're switching back and forth between a low-slung vehicle like a sports car and a Bronco, the difference in seat height creates a difference in perspective. That in turn can distort your impression of speed. The Bronco may feel slower even though driving at the same speed as a sports car. This will then impact your impression of braking, as you perceive it to decelerate less rapidly due to the fact that you are actually scrubbing substantially more speed.

Sponsored

Burgler2112

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco 2.3l Mid Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi all, I'm late to the party on this thread, however I've had my BD for 3 weeks today. On the first day of ownership I felt the brakes were very "soft". There was a lot of travel in the brake pedal before it fully engaged.
I talked to my dealer and he said to bring it in to get checked. Yesterday was the first date available for me and I got it back today. They had to blead the brake line, and it is a HUGE improvement.
So my suggestion is if you feel your brakes are soft/squishy, have the dealer check the brake lines.
I have a 2022 2.3L auto Black Diamond non-sas.

JNY

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I have a stock 2Dr with the 2.3l MT and have no problems with brakes. I do down shift with the MT so maybe that is a plus. There is a trade off to performance with 35-37+ inch wheels and even 4Dr Broncos. Will be upgrading to max 32-33in wheels, since it is my daily driver.

Thrash Metash

Base
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi all, I'm late to the party on this thread, however I've had my BD for 3 weeks today. On the first day of ownership I felt the brakes were very "soft". There was a lot of travel in the brake pedal before it fully engaged.
I talked to my dealer and he said to bring it in to get checked. Yesterday was the first date available for me and I got it back today. They had to blead the brake line, and it is a HUGE improvement.
So my suggestion is if you feel your brakes are soft/squishy, have the dealer check the brake lines.
I have a 2022 2.3L auto Black Diamond non-sas.
Thanks for this. This is exactly what my brakes feel like. I will take it in to have the brakes bled. This gives me some hope.
Sponsored