Sponsored

Manual or the 2.7

Whoā€™s going to get their Bronco with a manual transmission?

• Manual

• Automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Scotty Kilmer's opinions carry as much weight as the 8.5x11" sheet of paper on my desk...

And that "motor biscuit" article is just awful. Essentially all 1 sided opinions with little to no data or facts to back anything up... Keep scrolling at the above link and you'll soon know why "The Ford Bronco is Overhyped Compared to Jeep" and why "The Jeep Wrangler is better for off-roading than the Ford Bronco ".

Stay away from sources like these people. Appreciate your keeness in trying to find factual support for both sides of the question @Rick Astley .
As with all things, the real answer is somewhere in the middle.

It's quite obvious by now that I am championing the 2.3/MT combo as being up-to-snuff for Bronco. That bias is obvious and strong.

I'm sure if you were to have a rational conversation with Scotty Kilmer which wasn't for clicks (AKA: his paycheck), then when you get down to it you would find that, like the plot of almost all 172 episodes of Threeā€™s Company, it was all just a big misunderstanding.

Ford Bronco Manual or the 2.7 510Ta0XRcfL._SY445_[1]
Sponsored

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
SOOOOO... Now that we're all getting a "GLIMPSE" of what the auto / 2.7L prices COULD be from all these surveys... is anyone changing their mind?

Asking $3,500 additional for the auto + 2.7l definitely makes me happy that I've been after a manual since day 1.... That can buy me a lot of cool accessories!
Iā€™m still at kind of disbelief that Ford gave a manual option and I wasnā€™t sure what other if any engine options would happen, since the Ranger has the one engine. The 2.7 made me second guess what and which way to go with my Bronco. Logically it makes sense since itā€™s popular in the F-150. Iā€™m just indecisive now with either going with the manual or get the 2.7 just because itā€™ll be my DD.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No choice for me. I have always had a manual transmission vehicle from my very first car on. Automatics have come a long way, and in most cases offer better MPG and faster shifting. However for me, manual allows for the full driving experience. Plus I hate the way the modern autos are programmed to be in the highest possible at all times, and that you have to smash the gas pedal just to get decent acceleration. I much rather be able to hold a gear as long as I want knowing that I will need to accelerate on an on ramp, turn, etc. Some like Rolls Royce are linking the trans to the GPS to give it smarts, but that is still a ways off for main stream. Best part though is that extra pedal is the best anti-theft device out there.
Autos have come along way but so have the manuals. The newer autos now seem like they always want to down shift and itā€™s really annoying. You can kind of make up for it if you have the select shift on some of the newer Fords but it still doesnā€™t like holding a gear for too lon.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Autos have come along way but so have the manuals. The newer autos now seem like they always want to down shift and itā€™s really annoying. You can kind of make up for it if you have the select shift on some of the newer Fords but it still doesnā€™t like holding a gear for too lon.
Makes perfect sense that a modern transmission always wants to downshift....

The electro-grannies in the transmission have made the vehicle be in a gear (or two, for the Ranger!) higher than optimum for driving, because optimum driving is not the design, fuel efficiency is the design.

So if you're going to do something stupid such as accelerate, it's going to have to downshift at least 1 gear to do so.

A human will make gearing selections based on objective and situation. The ECU will make gearing selection based on programming that is skewed to meet CAFE EPA regs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love MTs. But I also love more cylinders. So, unless (until?) they offer a MT with the 6, Iā€™m sticking with the bigger engine.
I could see Ford possibly adding a bigger engine with a manual in the future since Jeep as a manual option to their 3.6L V6. If they do give us more it probably won't be here until the rumored Bronco Raptor which might be here in 2023.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it's good that Ford gave us the 2.7L V6 from the F-150 and is the most popular engine option but how much of that can be explained that its the base engine. Yes there's other options but they obviously add more to the cost of the truck. Would that engine be as popular or purchased if it wasn't the base engine option?

Also could you imagine Ford giving the Bronco a V8 if the next gen Raptor gets one? Also with Jeep possibly putting a V8 in the Wrangler, would Ford respond with a V8 or just one of their larger V6's?

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I vote for the third pedal. First because I know how to use one, and I enjoy using one.
Second, I am a cheap SOB and paying a couple grand for a tranny just doesn't do it for me.
It's good to see the manual as standard on most of the trims and auto as an option, since Ford probably could've gotten away with not even giving us a manual

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's good to see the manual as standard on most of the trims and auto as an option, since Ford probably could've gotten away with not even giving us a manual
Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d go that far. I specifically want a stick; and if Ford would have offered the V6 with a stick, theyā€™d be getting more money out of me.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d go that far. I specifically want a stick; and if Ford would have offered the V6 with a stick, theyā€™d be getting more money out of me.
You or anyone could make the argument that Ford only gave the Bronco a manual because the Wrangle has one but with their V6. I think depending on the initial manual take rate will translate to whether we'll see a manual option in either the 2.7L or a different engine entirely.

I hope to see another manual in the future but people will need to buy the manual that they will be offering at launch for Ford to see it as a worth while option. and who knows I could be wrong and they're just holding out on another manual to give the Bronco 2-3 years down the line to avoid giving us everything at once. But I wouldn't have an issue picking a manual over an auto if was offered with the 2.7L at launch.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only reason that I haven't "reserved" a Bronco is that there's no 2.7L w/MT currently being offered and the 2.3L is Only Direct Injection.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I for one am going to be so happy driving my ā€œcrappy, lawsuit proneā€ getrag around with my Direct Injected ā€œcarbon build up, misfire, poor performance, going to explodeā€ 2.3L around for the next 100K+ miles just to prove to the world that the 2.3L paired with the manual will be just fine. Well that or Iā€™ll die trying ?. /S

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the mpg will help make a decision.
Sponsored