First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yugo
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Looks like I need a systems checklist for startup! I took off down the road and once I got up to 45-50 mph on the 3-lane, the driver's side MIC panel blew right off the car! Luckily I was able to pull over, run and retrieve (a driver stopped by the panel to protect it from being run over). Obviously I forgot to lock the latches on my new MIC2 Panel that my OBX waited for almost 3 months on Dirt Mountain.

It still works well (I'll know for sure after today's rain) and now its time for some Epoxy home repair, put my epoxy boat-repair skills to work. That protruding front corner is the worst. Can I assume epoxy will work, or will I need a more exotic panel glue!

I don't imagine buying a new panel is going to be easy . . . Can I get one of those MIC1 panels when replaced? I can attest that they are strong, and I don't think I'll make this mistake again!

Screenshot_20211028-135311_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211028-125521_Gallery.jpg

20211028_123354.jpg
did you price a new one?
Sponsored

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are correct that there appears to be a core material in the main body of the top. It would be good to know more about it. It is not on the edges, which are solid. To make the whole piece solid would be too heavy, and it would bend and warp more. Few fiberglass boats have solid hulls, and over the years have used end grain balsa, foam sheeting, corecell and other core material that is lightweight. The two layers, inner and outer, provide strength like the two pieces of a girder, held apart by the core. They also quiet the hull (top), dulling noise (wave) transmission. I have made boat parts myself that way. I think it would be more helpful to appreciate the construction than to call it a cheap cardboard piece. It isn't, from what I've seen. IF that is a resin impregnated paper core, I'd love to hear from an expert how that works and functions in roof construction. Most cored boat pieces also have solid sections where the core is interrupted by the inner and outer layers solidly bonded, which also provides structural rigidity, as well as a place to bolt through fittings without compressing the core. The mid panel on the 4dr appears to have those. As I've noticed, there is no core on the edges. Id love to know more, from those involved in the manufacturing process and design.

ChetC

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow

Someone on another thread insisted the mic tops are just cardboard covered in plastic. I thought he was being facetious. From your photos it really truly appears to just be cardboard. Are my eyes deceiving me?
For those that donā€™t know, honeycomb cardboard is the standard ā€œbodyā€ for this type of construction as itā€™s both strong and light when used in this way. If you take a fiberglass bed topper off a truck and cut it in half with a sawzall youā€™ll find the same material.

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why couldn't Ford gel-kote or paint the inside of the top?
Cost cutting permits higher profit margins. The average consumer wonā€™t pay an extra $200 for a finished interior liner, but they wonā€™t pay less for an unfinished one. Thatā€™s kinda been Fordā€™s approach to market as regards the rest of the interior, and under the hood.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

did you price a new one?
No, i don't see it as badly damaged enough to spend the money to replace it, for now. I think a year from now is better time, when they become plentiful, or try to find a discarded MIC1. If my repair is a failure, I might decide differently. The main point of the repair is to prevent water intrusion into whatever the laminate is, and for looks. I also havent decided what top configuration ill use, soft & hard. Finally. I may well have the hard top painted in a couple of years, and if that happens, any imperfections from my current repair will be covered up. As someone said, this is a great opportunity.

Sponsored

crummer

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pcar
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh šŸ¤©

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Get a front row twill top for now
Based on the earlier guesstimate of $1800 bucks for a replacement panel, the convertible front piece is a very viable option. Hey, Jake from State Farm, just send the check to Bestop . . .

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know that the OP was like...

20210731_112932.gif

Can't believe 9 pages and this hadn't been used... LOL.

Sponsored

BroncoPA65

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Fords & VW's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is a honeycomb core used to strengthen the fiberglass. It is also used in boat construction. It is strong and light weight. The honeycomb pattern is the fishscale everyone is complaining about on the mic tops. I tried to include a picture of a piece of honeycomb core, but I couldn't get the image to load.
It's also used extensively in aircraft components, both inside and out. There are parts of wings made like this from huge honeycomb blocks carved on a CNC machine. Now granted, sometimes it's "paper - like" material, but it is strong, stable, and moisture resistant.

Check out this video (maybe for the first 8 minutes):

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow! With that attitude I fail to understand why you're here:oops:
He's just telling the truth...I'm a diehard holdout for MIC top but it's junk. I fully expect it to have to be replaced, probably at least twice while under warranty. Maybe when Ford gets embarrassed enough they'll just give us all the mod top when it's ready.

Deleted member 12876

Wow

Someone on another thread insisted the mic tops are just cardboard covered in plastic. I thought he was being facetious. From your photos it really truly appears to just be cardboard. Are my eyes deceiving me?
You are correct, thatā€™s how they got them to be so late pretty clever huhšŸ˜‰