Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
All glass is reused from MIC 1.0 on the 2.0 replacement.
The reason I ask is my Program 21B49 letter from Ford states that they will install new quarter glass and reuse the rear window. The issue for me is I had the clear Base glass tinted.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@aj_benedetto can you post the dealer/store directions on what you must do when changing a MIC 1.0 to a 2.0 please? Would love to see the guidance/directions. Ie, must you cut the top? Does the owner of a MIC 1.0 HAVE TO turn in their old top?

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I see very similar construction on boats. Exposed edge of a panel in a hidden area of my current fiberglass boat. I believe this core is a PVC material.
Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics P2041092.JPG

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I see very similar construction on boats. Exposed edge of a panel in a hidden area of my current fiberglass boat. I believe this core is a PVC material.
Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics P2041092.JPG
The primary difference there is that nida-core is made exclusively from polypropylene which is impermeable to moisture, has vibration and noise dampening properties and is easy to work with.

The tops on Bronco appear to be a combination of cardboard and a paper honeycomb, which gives it the properties of something that will constantly have problems unless not 100% isolated and protected from environmental factors..... The type of protection that clearly Ford hasn't figured out how to manufacture yet.

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can see voids where the resin did not get to. Either from having the amount cut (per the rumor or note Ford said to cut 30% of cost...leading to cut volume of resin) and or not a good injection method to get it in there all the way.

you can see in other areas the resin in all the grooves and voids in other smaller areas.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hello! My store recently replaced a MIC 1.0 top for one of our customers, and part of the replacement process required us to cut up the old top panels. Would anyone be interested in seeing the inside of the MIC top?

Edit: Below are some pictures that I took of the MIC 1.0. After inspecting the top and seeing just how thin that outer shell is, I can see why the honeycomb structure of the top was showing through when exposed to extreme heat/moisture.

View attachment 200196
View attachment 200197
View attachment 200198
View attachment 200199
View attachment 200200
If I was going to make a guess, this looks to be an Aramid Honeycomb core in the consistent-thickness sections.

If so, Aramid Honeycomb is a very expensive material as it's highly processed and has a phenolic resin surface treatment to a paper core which is humidity and flame resistant, along with dampening and dialectic properties.

Certainly not the most outright strong material they could have used, but it would be a very reasonable core for the removable roof of an automobile.

This doesn't mean I know exactly what the core is made of, just that it appears to be a coated paper, and given the NHTSA regs regarding vehicle flammability, Aramid Honeycomb would likely pass those tests.

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That makes me nauseous as I look at my MSRP of $62K

thank you for posting this. I am sure it will go as usual, the defenders saying its perfectly ok, and the others saying that is most embarrassing Amazon box recycle I have ever seen.

Even so, still makes me sick.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You can see voids where the resin did not get to. Either from having the amount cut (per the rumor or note Ford said to cut 30% of cost...leading to cut volume of resin) and or not a good injection method to get it in there all the way.

you can see in other areas the resin in all the grooves and voids in other smaller areas.
Yes, you can get foam-filled aramid honeycomb pre-preg paneling. Not a problem and increases the sound dampening and thermal retention.

Sponsored

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seriously, what was the expected lifespan of this top, 3 year 36?

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, you can get foam-filled aramid honeycomb pre-preg paneling. Not a problem and increases the sound dampening and thermal retention.
Are those foam filled? I could see that helping with thermal and sound dampening...just can't really tell as the voids look fairly empty to me. On a S9 phone screen so the image is not that big. Good point if the are designed to be non resin filled.

Can the OP tell if the high void area or areas that had thicker inserts had foam in there?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That makes me nauseous as I look at my MSRP of $62K
Making a wild guess you don't deal in raw material very often.

https://store.acpcomposites.com/aramid-honeycomb-core-standard-cell?quantity=1&size=6

Not to mention sheet prices of aluminum, boron and steel are all up exponentially.

http://steelbenchmarker.com/history.pdf

20 years ago you used to be able to get steel for a penny a pound. But this isn't the year 2000 and if we wanted to use your outdated standards, it's a $40,000 vehicle.

Oops, the real world checked in. Things are expensive. Price of cars has been stagnant for decades.

Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics 1635983390512

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Making a wild guess you don't deal in raw material very often.

https://store.acpcomposites.com/aramid-honeycomb-core-standard-cell?quantity=1&size=6

Not to mention sheet prices of aluminum, boron and steel are all up exponentially.

http://steelbenchmarker.com/history.pdf

20 years ago you used to be able to get steel for a penny a pound. But this isn't the year 2000 and if we wanted to use your outdated standards, it's a $40,000 vehicle.

Oops, the real world checked in. Things are expensive. Price of cars has been stagnant for decades.

1635983390512.png
So you are telling me that a top that is now on version 2.0, well on its way to version 3.0 and has had significant issues, including pushing 1,000s of reservation holders to pick the soft top is a-ok and reasonably priced.

Any defenders of the popcorn rattle, honeycomb ugly, unfinished edge, separating edge top does not resonate with those of us who want quality and who would have happily paid even more to get a top that I wouldnā€™t find embarrassing to show friends and family on my 62K vehicle.

never gonna give you up.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I was going to make a guess, this looks to be an Aramid Honeycomb core in the consistent-thickness sections.

If so, Aramid Honeycomb is a very expensive material as it's highly processed and has a phenolic resin surface treatment to a paper core which is humidity and flame resistant, along with dampening and dialectic properties.

Certainly not the most outright strong material they could have used, but it would be a very reasonable core for the removable roof of an automobile.

This doesn't mean I know exactly what the core is made of, just that it appears to be a coated paper, and given the NHTSA regs regarding vehicle flammability, Aramid Honeycomb would likely pass those tests.
Kevlar honeycomb can bring the strength and smoke spread limits- but costly.
Sponsored