redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's that box at the bottom still in the way for a hidden winch?

Thats a cooler on the 2.7 ......it is mounted on the crossmember ..................

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Performance Intercooler R&D Thread 20210604_180416

Stock intercooler is in the upper right in the pic. That cooler should be far enough back and low enough as to not cause interference with a winch mount.
Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Are you guys working with bumper vendors to design a special bumper around this intercooler mod?
I hope so, I am patiently waiting for this intercooler upgrade so I can choose between Whipple's OEM factory placement upgrade or this one which should perform better given the larger real estate it should have increased overall dimensions and better airflow because of its better positioning. Next, we will need a larger Hi-Performance radiator for our 2.7's.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I hope so, I am patiently waiting for this intercooler upgrade so I can choose between Whipple's OEM factory placement upgrade or this one which should perform better given the larger real estate it should have increased overall dimensions and better airflow because of its better positioning. Next, we will need a larger Hi-Performance radiator for our 2.7's.

We just put a Whipple intercooler on an Explorer ST. Very nice unit. Big difference was an Explorer front end is much harder to remove than the Broncs. It also retained the shutters, but then again an Explorer has more room up front than the Bronc. 😁

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We just put a Whipple intercooler on an Explorer ST. Very nice unit. Big difference was an Explorer front end is much harder to remove than the Broncs. It also retained the shutters, but then again an Explorer has more room up front than the Bronc. 😁
That's awesome, When I look at the intercooler of the Bronco it's a small little rectangle box, and the Whipple just makes the width larger and uses the better bar plate design so there is increased performance but working within the factory placement you can only do so much. So with Mishimoto's design, you sacrifice the shutters (no big deal for me) and create a larger working area to really get a more contact area for air to flow through. Also, I am a little envious of their cold air intake setup being developed as I purchased the Roush one already and their design once again is a reengineering approach that coupled with their intake tubes will provide a cleaner smooth increase in air volume consistency.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's awesome, When I look at the intercooler of the Bronco it's a small little rectangle box, and the Whipple just makes the width larger and uses the better bar plate design so there is increased performance but working within the factory placement you can only do so much. So with Mishimoto's design, you sacrifice the shutters (no big deal for me) and create a larger working area to really get a more contact area for air to flow through. Also, I am a little envious of their cold air intake setup being developed as I purchased the Roush one already and their design once again is a reengineering approach that coupled with their intake tubes will provide a cleaner smooth increase in air volume consistency.

To be truthful when we took out the Exploder's cooler it looked eerily similar to the Bronc's. Would not surprise me they are the same.😁

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you guys working with bumper vendors to design a special bumper around this intercooler mod?
Not at the current moment, but aftermarket bumpers are definitely on our radar. Our engineer specifically designed this intercooler for the best balance between fit and performance which should still leave clearance for lower profile bumpers

We should have some performance data coming very soon! Our production samples are wrapping up so we'll have them here at the R&D facility in the coming weeks

-Nick

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not at the current moment, but aftermarket bumpers are definitely on our radar. Our engineer specifically designed this intercooler for the best balance between fit and performance which should still leave clearance for lower profile bumpers

We should have some performance data coming very soon! Our production samples are wrapping up so we'll have them here at the R&D facility in the coming weeks

-Nick

So glad you guys jumped on this idea. By the time Ford decides to build my 2DR 2.7 you guys should have this available. I have not been a fan of those bumpers that look like Jay Leno's chin. I'm an avid off roader and did not want one those big ugly bumpers killing my approach angle just to have a winch. Now if I can figure out a way to relocate that oil cooler mounted to the crossmember........

Keep up the good work Nick. It looks awesome so far. 👍👍

Last edited:

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Mishimoto What are the performance implications of the High road vs Low road with a whipple tune? (along with intake and exhaust modifiations)... Or maybe expected performance implications until both protos are dyno'ed...

Sponsored

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just bumping this up with a little teaser ;)

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Performance Intercooler R&D Thread NT6_9543

More to come soon!

-Nick
I hope that with the Hi-Road Intercooler, deleting the electronic shutters and using that large empty space equals a larger intercooler with more surface area than the Whipple SC Intercooler. This should help keep cooler IATs in the Hot California Central Valley Heat. I am ready to see the final product launch!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys!

Happy Monday! I just wanted to bump this up since we just updated the blog with the first look at our performance intercooler production sample! Make sure you head to the link below to get the full look!

High Road – 2021+ Ford Bronco 2.3L/2.7L Performance Intercooler R&D, Part 3 – Production Sample

NT6_9630-scaled.jpg

The right gear is essential to any adventure. This, in turn, makes any adventure the perfect excuse to upgrade your load-out, and who doesn’t like to have the latest and greatest equipment? The same could be said about the rig that promises adventure-ready status at all times. While Ford made sure to load these Broncos out with a diverse arsenal of off-roading bits, there were some aspects that we still needed that excuse to upgrade.

Just needing to move a component to clear space for more off-roading equipment is one best excuses to upgrade your systems, and we devised just the thing. This high-mounted intercooler is ideal for those looking to hide a winch or plotting to improve the Bronco’s approach angle. Now that it’s in the shop, we’re stoked to show off this intercooler’s final design and rehome it behind the upper grille. Continue Reading...
As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have!

-Nick

brokentwig

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Avalanche
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nick, this thing looks awesome. I'm eagerly looking forward to moving this intercooler and fitting a winch in that spot. Do you have any estimate on when this thing will be available for purchase?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How's the grill fitment? Glad to see a product that is designed fit with nice brackets. I know I have fought crappy mounting brackets in the past with them moving/bending after some road time.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nick, this thing looks awesome. I'm eagerly looking forward to moving this intercooler and fitting a winch in that spot. Do you have any estimate on when this thing will be available for purchase?
Right now we're aiming to launch our presale toward late fall-early winter and begin shipping about 3-4 weeks after that. Nothing's quite set in stone just yet since we still need to test these before kicking off production. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted!

How's the grill fitment? Glad to see a product that is designed fit with nice brackets. I know I have fought crappy mounting brackets in the past with them moving/bending after some road time.
I, unfortunately, didn't have the chance to grab photos of the grille installed, but these brackets are sturdy for sure. Dan also made sure to match the OEM mounting points for the grille so it installs just as well as OEM

-Nick
Sponsored