Sponsored

New to Ford. Overall Bronco reliability and turbo engine expectations?

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How come the current 4runners power train is considered outdated by 2020 standards?
The 4Runner is soldiering on with its 4.0li naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. It makes enough hp at 270 and 278 lb/ft. The good thing is that being naturally aspirated it can work long and hard hours without overheating which is a major plus when you are out in the boonies. It is a tried and true engine but on pavement it is not as smooth or torquey as current turbo engines.

The 5-spd transmission is also aging and while it is robust especially for off road use, it is jerky and feels unrefined on the pavement.

The overall reliability of the 4Runner is the reason Toyota keeps selling these in record numbers year after year. I understand a makeover is finally in the works and may appear in 2022.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
How come the current 4runners power train is considered outdated by 2020 standards?
Depends “who” considers it.

No direct injection, no high pressure fuel pumps, no chance of coking, reputation for reliably going to 500k miles. No turbos, no intercooler, engine bay has half the amount of equipment, it’s the engine for ultimate reliability. Outdated is not the word, proven and bulletproof are the word.

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The automatic transmission is a 5-speed, and has not been updated for 10 or 20 years (you can look that up if you are interested). For comparison, the Jeep Wrangler has an 8-speed auto, and the new Bronco has a 10-speed auto. The 4.0 V6 in the 4Runner has also been unchanged for a long time. The enormous upside to the lack of change to this platform is that - overall - it is very reliable. I actually like the 4.0 - it is one of the better naturally aspirated V6 engines in the mid-size truck/SUV segment (270 HP, 278 lb/ft of torque), but probably not as good as the Chevy Colorado 3.6 V6 (308 HP, 275 lb/ft of torque). The 4.0 is a better truck engine than the newer 3.5 V6 found in the Tacoma (the 3.5 needs to get to around 3500 RPM to make power, and has little low-end torque). However, I don't like the 5-speed auto in the 4Runner, especially at altitude.

Compared to the Bronco, Toyota's 4.0 will get destroyed by Ford's 2.7 ecoboost - especially at altitude where naturally aspirated engines lose power. At altitude, Ford's 2.3 will also significantly outperform Toyota's 4.0.

BWONCOSWULE!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm new to the Ford market. I'll admit, I've never been a Ford person but I'm very intrigued with this Bronco platform. I've owned Tacoma's and 4 Runners in the past. Initial pricing for the Black Diamond package seems to be competitive with both Toyota off roaders. Can anyone give me an idea of Ford reliability and maybe what to expect with these turbo engines? Thanks for any responses.
I have a 2001 ford escape that I got new and im still daily driving. I have put over 210,000 miles on it and it still runs great. No major issues, just regular maintenance.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The automatic transmission is a 5-speed, and has not been updated for 10 or 20 years (you can look that up if you are interested). For comparison, the Jeep Wrangler has an 8-speed auto, and the new Bronco has a 10-speed auto. The 4.0 V6 in the 4Runner has also been unchanged for a long time. The enormous upside to the lack of change to this platform is that - overall - it is very reliable. I actually like the 4.0 - it is one of the better naturally aspirated V6 engines in the mid-size truck/SUV segment (270 HP, 278 lb/ft of torque), but probably not as good as the Chevy Colorado 3.6 V6 (308 HP, 275 lb/ft of torque). The 4.0 is a better truck engine than the newer 3.5 V6 found in the Tacoma (the 3.5 needs to get to around 3500 RPM to make power, and has little low-end torque). However, I don't like the 5-speed auto in the 4Runner, especially at altitude.

Compared to the Bronco, Toyota's 4.0 will get destroyed by Ford's 2.7 ecoboost - especially at altitude where naturally aspirated engines lose power. At altitude, Ford's 2.3 will also significantly outperform Toyota's 4.0.
My local Chevrolet dealer has business cards for a local mechanic that specializes in the 3.6L, apparently they’re failure prone, especially in the Traverse/Enclave vans and the dealer doesn’t like working on them. I thought that was odd, enough to keep me away certainly.
The 2.3 has coking issues apparently, going to feel like going back to adjusting points with that engine. And both Bronco engines are direct injection unfortunately. Obviously I’ve shared my stories about why I wouldn’t touch the 2.7L after my experiences but second to that it is concerning that the 2.7L has an alternator down low, not good for water fording.

Midsize market is not a good place for engines right now across the board. It’s either boring and reliable, or adequate and failure prone imo.

Sponsored

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of japanese brands used to have superior reliability. They're still kind of coasting on that reputation even though they aren't deserved any more. Ford has had some issues in the past but the overall reliability of ecoboosts has been pretty good not counting the early ones. Plenty of F150s with over 200k miles and no problems.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
A lot of japanese brands used to have superior reliability. They're still kind of coasting on that reputation even though they aren't deserved any more. Ford has had some issues in the past but the overall reliability of ecoboosts has been pretty good not counting the early ones. Plenty of F150s with over 200k miles and no problems.
Depends what your talking about, Honda falsely earned their reputation by clinging onto Toyota. I would honestly trust FCA over a Honda.
Nissan killed their reputation in the late 90s.
Toyota’s reputation persists for Japanese built vehicles only, their American built vehicles are only marginally better/equal to their American competitors.

ragingclue

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Midsize market is not a good place for engines right now across the board. It’s either boring and reliable, or adequate and failure prone imo.
Yeah that's true. I do think the 2.3/10 in the Ranger is by far the best powertrain in the lineup though as long as you don't need a manual. Silver linings I guess.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My local Chevrolet dealer has business cards for a local mechanic that specializes in the 3.6L, apparently they’re failure prone, especially in the Traverse/Enclave vans and the dealer doesn’t like working on them. I thought that was odd, enough to keep me away certainly.
The 2.3 has coking issues apparently, going to feel like going back to adjusting points with that engine. And both Bronco engines are direct injection unfortunately. Obviously I’ve shared my stories about why I wouldn’t touch the 2.7L after my experiences but second to that it is concerning that the 2.7L has an alternator down low, not good for water fording.

Isnt the 2.3 EcoBoost a reliable engine paired with the 10 speed auto?

makatron

Badlands
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu D-Max 3.0L 4-cylinder diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And both Bronco engines are direct injection unfortunately. Obviously I’ve shared my stories about why I wouldn’t touch the 2.7L after my experiences but second to that it is concerning that the 2.7L has an alternator down low, not good for water fording.
EcoBoost engines are port and direct injection, and had the impression that Ford would do to this engine what Jeep did to the EcoDiesel that moved the alternator to the top compared to the low position in the RAM 1500.

Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where is the alternator located on the 2.3 EcoBoost?

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sadly, the Tacoma has more hip and shoulder room in the front and back.
While true, the difference is negligible excluding the rear shoulder room.

Leg-room is much better in the Bronco than the Tacoma.

Bronco:
Front hip room: 56.3 in
Rear hip room: 51.8 in
Front shoulder room: 57.1 in
Rear shoulder room: 43.3 in

Front leg room: 43.1 in
Rear leg room: 36.3 in
Front head room: 41 in
Rear head room: 39 in

Taco:
Front hip room: 57.2 in
Rear hip room: 56.3 in
Front shoulder room: 58.3 in
Rear shoulder room: 58.9 in

Front leg room: 42.9 in
Rear leg room: 32.6 in
Front head room: 39.7 in
Rear head room: 38.3 in

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Didn't know that about the Chevy 3.6, that's too bad. I agree - the midsize market has really weak engine options. Jeep needs the 5.7 Hemi in the Wrangler, and Toyota needs to bring back that smaller V8 they had (4.6 or 4.7?) and put it in the Tacoma (that, or supercharge the 3.5 V6).

I agree with someone else who mentioned that Japanese-built Toyotas are still reliable. The 4Runner and the Landcruiser (and the FJ-Cruiser while it was in production) are examples of Japanese-built Toyotas that have excellent build quality. The 4Runner is so much better built than the Tacoma (our family owns both).

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
EcoBoost engines are port and direct injection, and had the impression that Ford would do to this engine what Jeep did to the EcoDiesel that moved the alternator to the top compared to the low position in the RAM 1500.
I was going off the picture provided that showed the drivetrain in the frame of the new Bronco.
Sponsored