Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never really done my own maintenance on my cars minus tire pressures, but I'd really like to start when I get my Bronco.
A.) Is this a fool's errand, too complex of a vehicle for a complete newbie?
B.) Basic tool recommendations that I'll need to accomplish this? Metric vs SAE?
I want to make sure I'm not in over my head with this idea.
Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anything is possible, vehicle maintenance isn’t rocket science and in my opinion way easier with modern cars. It tells you what it thinks is wrong or reminds you to do things. Anyway take your time read before you do anything and above all ask questions that is what this forum is for. Good luck!!!!

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think its awesome you want to venture out. Basic services aren't a big deal. Do your research on capacities and start with recommended fluids. Don't underfill or overfill. The book will show how much it should take. You can have the old oil disposed at most auto parts stores. You will get a lot of satisfaction out of tackling this.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used to do all of the minor maintenance on my vehicles, i.e. oil changes, tune-ups etc. But now, with me being more mature (re: old ), and all of the dang electronics I leave it to the dealer. I don't even do the oil changes anymore. However, doing your on oil change on the Bronco will be quite easy if you're getting the 2.7L. If you're getting the 2.3L the filter is a bitch to get too.

As stated, do study up before jumping in. You Tube will probably have video to help you with the things you want to try. If you're a shade tree mechanic like me, a set of metric tools from Harbor Freight should serve you well. Good luck, I think you will enjoy doing some stuff yourself.

Last edited:

thestep90

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would assume the Bronco is SAE and not metric.
What tools you need depends on what you want to do. Id start with a simple mechanics tool set and add tools as you need them

Sponsored

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would assume the Bronco is SAE and not metric.
What tools you need depends on what you want to do. Id start with a simple mechanics tool set and add tools as you need them
Metric.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Youtube is your friend...you can find most DIY maintenance procedures to determine how far you want to go. As mentioned above, performing your own maintenance is rewarding not to mention save a few bucks.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basic vehicle maintenance is quite easy to do, and thanks to the Bronco’s high stance you actually can probably skip over the most nerve-racking part for most new people: getting your vehicle on jack stands.

In terms of metric vs SAE… you’ll want metric. Just about all of the common everyday maintenance items I can think of are metric. And Ford also likes to make use of torx here and there, so you’ll probably need a few sizes of those. If you have the 2.3L you’ll probably want to get an oil filter wrench. Beyond that it’s just normal household tools I’d expect most people to have.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If I'm not mistaken there are how to's on both motors from members here on the YouTube.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“ You have to feed and water them?” Said a first time horse owner after finding their horse dead on their front yard, prior to motorized vehicles being invented. Remember folks, Uber won’t be available during Armageddon . It is great you are looking to learn how to complete basic maintenance on your vehicle. Don’t be intimidated. Some basic tools will get you there. Buy a Haynes manual for your specific vehicle as well.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Watch a bunch of U-Tube video's that's the new way of learning how to fix stuff. Back in my day it was Haynes manuals with words and little pictures.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The clearance underneath is a god-send. I've done two oil changes already on mine and generally speaking its a breeze in that regard. If it ever seems above your head, dont mess with it.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Most modern vehicles have metric fasteners. For tools, I'd skip Harbor Freight and buy a set of sockets/rachets and wrenches that are at least moderate quality. Cheap tools are a pain to live with if you really want to do some of your own maintenance. At least for your core set of tools. Some of the one offs cheap makes some sense. But let your budget temper that advice.
Sponsored