Sponsored

Not ok! Dealer taking liberties with customer and charging for unnecessary "Accessory Package"

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would go in every other week with a scratch in one of the tinted windows. They would rue the day they overcharged me for "Lifetime" window tint.
problem with that is that they;ll hunt down anything else they can charge you for while the car is there.
Sponsored

Raincloud

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you haven’t purchased the vehicle yet I would hold off on calling in the online Calvary. They do not have to sell it to you despite anything you have signed unless you’ve fully paid/financed and completely sealed the deal. I understand the frustration and it is absolutely ridiculous but at this point you’re in the negotiation phase. If they won’t budge then offer to pay that price as w/e bullshit fees they want to tack on but refuse the accessories and take that Bronco you’ve been waiting for. Then after it’s completely yours blast them however you want to for this scumminess. The alternative is to walk away but once you’ve calmed down would you regret not getting your Bronco?

iBrad81

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ask them how you are supposed to air down to go off road with nitrogen, they probably don't even know the bronco can go off road.
Tell them the KARR alarm is not a Ford approved accessory and don't want to risk voiding your warranty.

Dealerships like this is what give dealerships bad names

Sponsored

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The dealer in my (now)hometown has a Bronco with a MSRP of something like $49999 and added $50K markup.

We stopped just to look and the young man tried to come sell us and we tried telling him, "Don't waste your time , we're JUST kicking tires here.." But he of course tried the whole "Oh I'm new, maybe I can practice on you..." - what are we going to do, say no?

Anyway- turns out this dealership puts at least $10K worth of options on EVERY VEHICLE THEY GET... a Pinstripe package, a $2000 Protection Package and $3000 Options package and install stuff like two safes, one in the center console and one in the rear, "So you can lock your stuff up!" - === Doesn't. Seem. Legit. If I wanted a motherfreaking Pinstripe on my new vehicle, I will arrange to do that. I didn't ask for Protection Packs or Option Packs or Nitrogen in the tires (Homeboy tells me it's for those Cold Mornings when your tire pressure is not right... it's Central FL bro, we don't have cold mornings.... if we do, there are a handful a year, I can live without Nitrogen Tires...) I just can't even believe - you add TEN GRAND worth of add-ons that customers DID NOT ASK FOR on every vehicle you get, how are you in business?!

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is "sort of" happening to me as well.
After I heard of crazy ADM's I was very worried that my dealer was going to try to pull something like that. Research on here and on reviews seemed mostly good, but they do require $1500 in accessories.
I called the sales manager who I've been working with and he confirmed this.

I told him I would not fight it, but wanted to add all my own accessories. I told him that I had no use for nitrogen filled tires, tint, etc.
He agreed and I ended up placing an order for front and rear door bags, rubberized floor mats, a sun visor, Air Compressor, etc.
Not the end of the world considering that I'm actually getting things that are useful imo.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The dealer in my (now)hometown has a Bronco with a MSRP of something like $49999 and added $50K markup.

We stopped just to look and the young man tried to come sell us and we tried telling him, "Don't waste your time , we're JUST kicking tires here.." But he of course tried the whole "Oh I'm new, maybe I can practice on you..." - what are we going to do, say no?

Anyway- turns out this dealership puts at least $10K worth of options on EVERY VEHICLE THEY GET... a Pinstripe package, a $2000 Protection Package and $3000 Options package and install stuff like two safes, one in the center console and one in the rear, "So you can lock your stuff up!" - === Doesn't. Seem. Legit. If I wanted a motherfreaking Pinstripe on my new vehicle, I will arrange to do that. I didn't ask for Protection Packs or Option Packs or Nitrogen in the tires (Homeboy tells me it's for those Cold Mornings when your tire pressure is not right... it's Central FL bro, we don't have cold mornings.... if we do, there are a handful a year, I can live without Nitrogen Tires...) I just can't even believe - you add TEN GRAND worth of add-ons that customers DID NOT ASK FOR on every vehicle you get, how are you in business?!
The dealerships are casting a net. They are first trying to catch the fish who are big spenders, not good with finances, and highly desiring the material item. The dealer has to start far above what they will actually sell for if push came to shove, in order to have a chance catching those desirable fish.

So I'd look at a lot of this high ADM and other hijinks with a grain of salt. As just the first salvo by the dealer for a given vehicle, to see if they can snag any foolish persons. As a non-foolish person, you negotiate down from there. With the understanding that you walk away from a bad deal if needed.

The dealers do this stuff on Broncos and other vehicles, because yeah a certain subset of the car buying public pays up.

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am working on an investment where a group of auto dealership operators are raising $ to buy up dealerships and then flip the package in 2 years. They take a typical family dealership that doesn't squeeze all the $ in the many places they can with every vehicle and typically increase revenues by 3.5-4.5x in 18 months.. that's why you are seeing those add-ons... it's business... and none of us are smart enough to get a signed contract at MSRFP when we place our deposits.. we allow the dealership to guide us.. that's where 90% of these deals go wrong.. me, I am no smarter, I just had the luck of a blind squirrel with the dealership I got..

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and none of us are smart enough to get a signed contract at MSRFP when we place our deposits.. we allow the dealership to guide us.. that's where 90% of these deals go wrong.. me, I am no smarter, I just had the luck of a blind squirrel with the dealership I got..
I wouldn't say that you got lucky.

Most dealers:
  • Will not sign a binding contract for a vehicle that may not be delivered for 18 months.
  • Are not running either the ADM scam or the accessory scam on Bronco orders.
Also, if a dealer is determined to pull this sort of scam, the paper shield of a signed agreement will not be enough to prevent them. That only gives you some ammo to threaten a social media campaign and/or legal dispute. Safe to say that most buyers are already pissed off at the dealership before it gets to that point.

There are also dealers who made agreements with customers on MY21 Broncos, and then threw on the ADM at the MY22 reorder (at which point it was too late for 99% of customers to move their reservations to a different dealer). No one's "signed purchase agreement" can prevent that. I expect to see more of that if and when reservations slide into MY23.

Sponsored

GrabberMav

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
This seems to be the new way to get around the whole ADM thing I guess. Went to a Honda dealer the other day to look at something for my wife and they were like oh yea everything is MSRP, except there is a mandatory accessory package and a ceramic coating that is required all to the tune of about 2k extra. When I said something about it they were like well at least you are getting something instead of just a straight markup.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nitrogen filled tires in an off road vehicle brilliant.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am working on an investment where a group of auto dealership operators are raising $ to buy up dealerships and then flip the package in 2 years. They take a typical family dealership that doesn't squeeze all the $ in the many places they can with every vehicle and typically increase revenues by 3.5-4.5x in 18 months.. that's why you are seeing those add-ons... it's business... and none of us are smart enough to get a signed contract at MSRFP when we place our deposits.. we allow the dealership to guide us.. that's where 90% of these deals go wrong.. me, I am no smarter, I just had the luck of a blind squirrel with the dealership I got..
What do you think it was, that caused you not to get the delivery price unambiguously agreed to, nailed down and signed at the time of placing the order? Were you going off an assumption that MSRP was the agreed delivery price? Was there at least a clear conversation with the sales person at the time of order, about the final delivery price? When reading some of these similar stories, it seems in a lot of cases, not even that basic conversation took place.

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thats funny... The Karr Alarm basically arms the Broncos alarm, locks and unlocks the door.... Just like the key fobs that already come with it...only with an ugly @$$ fob instead of the nice one.
Sponsored