Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went to the off-roadeo in Austin last summer. They had one manual 4 door for us to use but the rest were auto 2 and 4 doors. And like all but 2 or 3 of them were sasquatched so dont worry about the mall crawlers lmao.
I just returned from the ATX Off-Roadeo and based on what was discussed, the odds of seeing another MT is slim to none. I am by no means any type of off-road expert, but I do have several years of experience behind a clutch. And what I witnessed today, I would assume some you people that look down at AT mall crawlers would tear it up a MT.

DwnSth

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2013 F150, 2014 GC, 2002 TJ,
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have to add, I have a manual TJ. Wouldn't want to drive it in a serious rock garden without the hand throttle. It's a must for anything more than going over a few rocks.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What do you need it for, anyway? From everything I’ve gathered here at B6f*ingG, the only people buying 2-door 7MT Sasquatched Broncos are the hardest of hard-core rock-crawling, mud-flinging, mountain-climbing, chest-beating offroad gods, and Bronco Off-Roadeo is just amateur-hour fluff. Why would you even waste your time there?

Leave the Off-Roadeo to us mall-crawling, mOaRdOoR-driving, soccer mom, poser-wagon pilots. We would hate to show up there and be overshadowed by your magnificent offroad prowess.

#notworthy #liftedflex #biteme

Last edited:

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
That was the original idea, but it turns out very few people who know how to drive stick know how to drive stick off road. The manuals they did have in Austin were all constantly out of service for clutch replacements and Ford decided to pull the plug on manuals at the off rodeos.
Sadly this is not a surprise.
It just takes one wrong person to take out a clutch or even damage the synchro's.
A little too much slipping the clutch and it overheat.
So many ways this can go wrong.
Why we can't have nice things.
I see no solution to this problem.

Sponsored

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did the “Drive The Bronco” event. There’s was a group of broncos driving throughout the country and I got to test drive a 2 door manual on the trails. Granted the ride was about 30 minutes, they let you test out the features on obstacles

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have there been any reports of MT Broncos at any of the offroadeos? I don't believe they had any at the one I did in Moab. Not terribly surprising considering MT car rentals are pretty much non-existent in the US. And they're basically renting you a Bronco for like 6 hours.
There were some there when I went. But we were told we weren't going to be able to drive them because someone in the previous group burned out a clutch and it wasn't the first time. They showed 'em to us, but the MT's stayed parked for both days.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it's a legit question. If Ford offers a manual transmission in the Bronco, it should let customers who ordered a manual experience it off road at Ford's corporate sponsored Off Road event.

I would think 99% of the customers who ordered a manual did so on purpose and are proficient in operating a manual transmission. I doubt there are many noobs who don't have manual transmission experience who would order a Bronco and try it first in challenging off road conditions.
Obviously your view is wrong, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many burned up clutches at previous rodeo's.

I'm surprised they even tried offering them at rodeo's in the first place. Several of the attendee's couldn't even comprehend that the parking brake is a button, and not a lever, and ended up breaking them off.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ditch Lock

Base
First Name
Ditch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drove a 2D 7MT Base at a Bronco off road event in AZ about a year ago, they only let me drive it cause I ordered a MT. Dude was telling me they've had nothing but problems with people dicking up the 7MTs.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That was the original idea, but it turns out very few people who know how to drive stick know how to drive stick off road. The manuals they did have in Austin were all constantly out of service for clutch replacements and Ford decided to pull the plug on manuals at the off rodeos.
That doesn't speak well to the durability of the clutch in the manual transmission.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
or people have no idea how to use one off road and everything will eventually break when not used correctly

That doesn't speak well to the durability of the clutch in the manual transmission.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think we were one of the first dealer groups to go through Texas after the excs. The one MT they had was likely on it's way out prior to getting run again and we didn't do it any favors.

My feeling was there were too may variables, safety being the biggest, for them discontinuing MTs at the ORs. Lots of people new to off-roading, distractions/instruction, etc.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to the Off-Rodeo in Texas last April knowing that there would be no MTs. I let the instructors know that I had a manual back home and they made sure that they pointed out some pointers during the event. After seeing one of the attendees launch (after careful instruction not to) and total (due to airbag deployment) one of the event vehicles I can totally understand limiting the failure variables.
Sponsored