First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Will you get better power from hooking it up to Aux switch directly than you do from a lighter plug? Hmmmm, do we get a lighter plug?
Yes, a compressor big enough to fill fires after airing down for wheeling needs a battery connection. the 12v accessory plug really isn't enough juice to do that in a reasonable amount of time.
Sponsored

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How fast is that thing at inflating tires?
On the website, it says flat to full in 4 minutes. Basically I've only ever used it to top off, but I would assume if you're airing down and then want to get back up again, maybe 30 seconds to a minute per tire or so. Pretty handy tool, especially if you have a bunch of other Ryobi stuff.

Chris

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A pancake compressor is fine if you're just topping off or don't mind waiting. If you're airing down to wheel, you'll barely be able to fill two 35" tires with one of those. You're going to be sitting there waiting for it to fill back up.
just not sure how big of a compressor i could fit well still being practical

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will do the same as I did on my Runner, supply power to a SAE plug both in the grill and at the trailer plug harness for my auto cut-off compressor. Wire one of the Aux switches to a 30amp relay to power the runs, that way I don't need 20' of air hose, just the 10' coil that came with the comp.
i would just store in the back(planning on just removing the rear seats on the 4 door and building a platform to make it flat). prolly just get a pancake compressor from harbor freight.
Most pancake compressors are 110V, and the built in 150 watt inverter is not nearly enough, so you will need a 300 watt inverter to run it unless you can find a 12vdc one.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
just not sure how big of a compressor i could fit well still being practical
Your best bet is not to use one that has a tank. That keeps the size down and will run while you're airing up. Look at ARB or Viair for options.

Reactions: JT1

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your best bet is not to use one that has a tank. That keeps the size down and will run while you're airing up. Look at ARB or Viair for options.
so just a high cfm pump?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
so just a high cfm pump?
Yep, pretty much. FWIW, you can run a tank on the compressors from ARB and Viair if you wanted to, say run air tools off them. But they don't require that just to fill tires.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm planning to mount mine on a molle panel on the inside of the rear tail gate.

Basically like this:
Interesting to see if you can use toggle switch and prewire for connection.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, pretty much. FWIW, you can run a tank on the compressors from ARB and Viair if you wanted to, say run air tools off them. But they don't require that just to fill tires.
what comes up when i search high cfm air pump on google:
Ford Bronco On board air question 1603384088099

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most common place is under hood, and most vehicle specific mount kits will come with a heat shield of some kind. The off-road specific ones like ARB are built to handle high heat, but all the same, heat and dust/road grime are something to consider when mounting in the engine bay.

I’ve seen guys mount them wherever they have free space in the back as well, just keep in mind you’ll have longer runs to get to your battery which will most likely be harder to get to in the event there’s a problem. Pros and cons to everything

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
what comes up when i search high cfm air pump on google:
1603384088099.png
https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-40043-400P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9AXR8/
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMTA12-Board-Performance-Compressor/dp/B0050DI9YQ

Viair has a bunch of different models and they rate them based on tire size so it's pretty easy to comparison shop on https://www.viaircorp.com/compressors

I ran the Viair 400H (hard mount version of the one linked above) in my Xterra for years without a hiccup. Filled my 34" tires and a friends 33" tires in one go.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Most common place is under hood, and most vehicle specific mount kits will come with a heat shield of some kind. The off-road specific ones like ARB are built to handle high heat, but all the same, heat and dust/road grime are something to consider when mounting in the engine bay.

I’ve seen guys mount them wherever they have free space in the back as well, just keep in mind you’ll have longer runs to get to your battery which will most likely be harder to get to in the event there’s a problem. Pros and cons to everything
It's important to note, if you decide to do ANY electrical wiring in your truck, read up on amperages vs wire gauge vs wire length. It's very important to choose the right wiring for the power and run length or you may underpower your accessory or set your truck on fire.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have a Viair 88p small / portable / excellent and fits in a nice bag

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Viair Onboard Air kit with the 400c compressor and 2.5gal tank. Will have to figure out where to mount the compressor and tank, should be entertaining. Tank can go underneath the truck somewhere mounted to the frame, compressor needs some place relatively dry and clean.
Sponsored