Sponsored

Onboard ARB Air Compressor - Single or Dual?

Peitnahtan

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm debating between an ARB Dual Compressor (CKMTA12) vs ARB Single Compressor (CKMA12).

For those with the ARB Single Compressor, would you recommend it for airing 35s? Do you air each tires individually? Two at a time or all four at once?

I'll be using the compressor strictly for airing up after the trails. If I get the single I'll mount it in the rear door with the mount from American Adventure Lab. If I go with the dual, I'll mount it in the spare tire mount from AGS Off Road. Really love the AGS spare tire mount but I'm debating if I really need a dual compressor and spending that extra $300.

Appreciate everyone's feedback.
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

50% duty cycle (single compressor) or 100% duty cycle (dual compressor). Pick one.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If time is important to you, the dual for sure. If you donā€™t mind waiting around a bit and donā€™t need to let others use the compressor after you do, then the single will suffice

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dual. Itā€™s a minor price difference. Itā€™s a long term investment.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you can swing the extra cash, I'd say go for the dual.

That said I have the single (in the FP ARB tool box) and it has worked just fine on stock 35s as well as 37s. I at most though am using it a hand full of times a year though. If you see yourself using it regularly, than absolutely get the dual.

Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For what itā€™s worth. I air up all 4 at once. Much easier and donā€™t have to bend over and keep dealing with moving around to each tire. My single compressor would take close to 45-50minutes to fill up all 4. When I got a dual air compressor it takes about 10minutes.

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
For what itā€™s worth. I air up all 4 at once. Much easier and donā€™t have to bend over and keep dealing with moving around to each tire. My single compressor would take close to 45-50minutes to fill up all 4. When I got a dual air compressor it takes about 10minutes.
I've never used an onboard before, just bag compressors... 10 minutes? That's amazing. This forum is bad for my wallet.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

50% duty cycle (single compressor) or 100% duty cycle (dual compressor). Pick one.
What Razorbak86 points out here is key and if you donā€™t know what that means, continue researching before you make a potential costly decision.

The dual ARB is two singles bridged together. If youā€™ve never used a serious compressor to air up large diameter tires, Iā€™ll going ahead and share that they can seriously overheat; like enough to burn your hands a bit after filling just two tires from 20psi back to street pressure in 35s. Also, what if you one day decide to go bigger with tires? Just because you wouldnā€™t today, who knows where your head will be in 3-4 years.

I own the dual and itā€™s installed under the hood to protect it mostly. The ARB compressors are metal with very minimal plastics, so theyā€™re tough as hell, can take abuse, heat, and will last for well over a decade. When you make such an investment, to cheap out isnā€™t smart money.

Your safety and other essential gear isnā€™t where you should look to save money. Satellite comms, compressor, suspension components, tires, brakes, recovery gear are all vital and should always account for most of your budget. Buying over time is wise though because $$.

So, Iā€™d suggest saving for another month for the twin, just in case you need to help a buddy get off the trailhead after you air up. 100% duty cycle means it can be used continuously without a rest and just keeps working. That extra money will not be a waste of cash in the long run. We all had the same debates in our heads but opted on the smart money.

The twin can air up each of my tires from 20psi to 38psi in roughly 1:45 sec, so within less than 10 minutes, Iā€™m headed for beer and a burgerā€¦ā€¦ ;)

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I even have the dual on my RZR with 35" tires. Go big or go home. :cool:

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dual.

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm debating between an ARB Dual Compressor (CKMTA12) vs ARB Single Compressor (CKMA12).

For those with the ARB Single Compressor, would you recommend it for airing 35s? Do you air each tires individually? Two at a time or all four at once?

I'll be using the compressor strictly for airing up after the trails. If I get the single I'll mount it in the rear door with the mount from American Adventure Lab. If I go with the dual, I'll mount it in the spare tire mount from AGS Off Road. Really love the AGS spare tire mount but I'm debating if I really need a dual compressor and spending that extra $300.

Appreciate everyone's feedback.
The Twin Compressor is the best. It's easiest to install since you don't need to install additional components. It's pretty much ready to go. The single will require you to install additional component that are in the kit. Just takes longer.

The Single will air up a 35" tire from 18PSI to 35PSI in 3 minutes. A twin does that in 1 minute.

We sell our patent pending engine mount bracket here and you can save 10% on the entire kit with coupon code BRONCO6G:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-air-compressor-engine-bay-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/

Or if you are just buying the compressor, you can buy it here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/air-compressors/

We stock all of the hoses/fittings also. If you do put your compressor in the rear, you WILL Need a power harness for the twin and single. We make a twin compressor power extension harness here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystalux-25-power-extension-harness-for-arb-twin-compressors/

And we make a switch harness as well (if you are putting a switch near your compressor): https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystalux-switch-harness-for-arb-twin-compressors/

OP
OP
Peitnahtan

Peitnahtan

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Twin Compressor is the best. It's easiest to install since you don't need to install additional components. It's pretty much ready to go. The single will require you to install additional component that are in the kit. Just takes longer.

The Single will air up a 35" tire from 18PSI to 35PSI in 3 minutes. A twin does that in 1 minute.

We sell our patent pending engine mount bracket here and you can save 10% on the entire kit with coupon code BRONCO6G:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-air-compressor-engine-bay-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/

Or if you are just buying the compressor, you can buy it here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/air-compressors/

We stock all of the hoses/fittings also. If you do put your compressor in the rear, you WILL Need a power harness for the twin and single. We make a twin compressor power extension harness here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystalux-25-power-extension-harness-for-arb-twin-compressors/

And we make a switch harness as well (if you are putting a switch near your compressor): https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystalux-switch-harness-for-arb-twin-compressors/
Thanks for the info, this was very helpful. Do I still need the power extension harness if I have the factory AUX switches in my Bronco already?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for the info, this was very helpful. Do I still need the power extension harness if I have the factory AUX switches in my Bronco already?
Yes, those are only triggers to turn the compressor on. The compressor requires 10 gauge wires going to it (2 for the single, 2 for the twin) for power. You can make your own but we've already done the hard work :)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've never used an onboard before, just bag compressors... 10 minutes? That's amazing. This forum is bad for my wallet.
Man, I have a fairly inexpensive Smittybilt compressor with a small diameter homemade 4 tire inflator and I can go from 20 to 35psi in my 35" faster than that.

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get the dual.

I have the dual and the bracket from 4x4TruckLeds and recommend installing it there. It's wasted space otherwise. Save the interior space for something else.
Sponsored