Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's not about having a weight distribution hitch to distribute the extra weight, you can get a tandem axle trailer and get your load fairly balanced enough to reduce your tongue weight so you wouldn't need one.

The issue is safely controlling and SAFELY STOPING the weight being pulled. Could you pull that much that with the Bronco? Sure. Is it safe? Probably not. The Bronco doesn't weigh enough to stop that much weight. The rear suspension isn't designed to handle it (it's not like a truck with leaf spring rear suspension). Don't you think Ford would rate it higher if they could? That rating is absolutely a direct reflection of safety.

Buy a 1 ton tow rig and a trailer big enough to put the Bronco and GT350 on, if you want to have your cake and eat it too.....
OMG 🤯

1. The 2.3L has the same or very similar braking system as the Ranger, which is rated for 7500lbs. The wheelbase is shorter but I have shown in one of the other threads that @Kerney noted that tow ratings on Ford vehicles don't seem to be affected much by differences in wheelbase. Braking should not be a problem, and if it is then it should be readily rectifiable.
2. Many Bronco trims have similar or higher curb weight and GVWR to the Ranger, which again tows 7500lbs. It shouldn't be about weight.
3. Many trucks have coil suspensions now. Ram 2500 (with the Cummins) has had them since 2014 IIRC. You going to tell me that truck can't tow? The coilover setup may be an issue, but the problem is not that it does not have leafs.
4. You're now suggesting that he buy yet another vehicle - and a really really expensive one at that - to tow two other ones around, when the whole idea is that he'd want to drive one of them (Bronco) to his destination and use the other (GT350) at his destination? What would even be the point of towing the Bronco along then?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Davis Dam portion is an assessment of powertrain capability. Since a similar powertrain is in the Ranger it's probably not a bad assumption that the powertrain is capable of pulling the same 7000lbs.

Unfortunately you then have to do the rest of SAE J2807 including the sway, and braking portions. Which is probably where the Bronco fails with its softer suspension. So just because it can pull it, doesn't mean it can control it.
Very true the sway part with the soft suspension is likely limiting. But then the Raptor tows 4500 on taller, softer tires and even softer suspension. Does its extra width really help that much?

Like @Kerney said we don't actually know for sure what the governing factors are and how close the truck is to increasing them. You and I and some others have been discussing this for a year and a half now with crickets from Ford.

Also for the record if the goshdarn OBX of all trims gets increased towing and no others do then I'm going to blow my top.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

IF you get an aluminum trailer, brake controller, and WDH its possible. My GT weighs 3600. Aluminum trailer weight approx 1650 lbs so thats 5250lbs. Rule of thumb is 10-12% tongue weight. At 10% that is 525lbs. That puts it 175lbs over rated. Its not crazy, but its not that good either specially given the way the tow hitch on the Bronco is designed. Now with a WDH you can distribute that tongue weight forward and get it a lot closer to 350lbs. I also would look to use something for the rear like airbags/spacers because its a bit soft, but people do it with the Raptor soo theres that.

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This has been covered before in other threads....There are similar/smaller wheelbase, similar / lighter vehicles than the Bronco that have 5k towing. There are car based SUVs that have higher tow ratings so you do not have to have leaf springs. Even though the engine / tranny are the same as the Ranger what we do not know is the difference in cooling. There are multiple factors that could influence cooling. Does the highest tow rating Ranger have a tranny cooler? Front end design / radiator size and flow. I have a buddy that works at Jeep and he stated that the cooling was the limiting factor with the wrangler. That is semi supported by them rating the wrangler at 5k in Europe.

Without firm information we can't really state conclusively why Ford limited the tow rating to 3500.

I don't think you will ever see the Bronco get above a 5k rating, but it is obviously capable as the Raptor is already at 4500 and is even more offroad capable than the standard Bronco. As far as waiting for an aftermarket option for a higher rated hitch....I wouldn't hold your breath because of the liability. Now getting the Raptors hitch and mounting it...That you can do.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without firm information we can't really state conclusively why Ford limited the tow rating to 3500.
Ford engineer @D2dhanover discussed Bronco tow constraints in prior posts, but then he was beamed up to the Mothership and quickly teleported away to Area 51 for reprogramming.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-raptor-towing-4500.34606/post-1149645

TL;DR -- "The factors that limit [tow rating] are the suspension causing a low maximum tongue weight." ... "The limitation is in that alone because of how badly it will squat when loaded. Mechanically and structurally Bronco can handle twice that."

i.e., "Carolina Squat"

Ford Bronco Ordering Badlands Bronco... have some questions about towing capacity CAROLINA-SQUAT

Ford Bronco Ordering Badlands Bronco... have some questions about towing capacity Canine Squat

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford engineer @D2dhanover discussed Bronco tow constraints in prior posts, but then he was beamed up to the Mothership and quickly teleported away to Area 51 for reprogramming.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-raptor-towing-4500.34606/post-1149645

TL;DR -- "The factors that limit [tow rating] are the suspension causing a low maximum tongue weight." ... "The limitation is in that alone because of how badly it will squat when loaded. Mechanically and structurally Bronco can handle twice that."

i.e., "Carolina Squat"

Ford Bronco Ordering Badlands Bronco... have some questions about towing capacity Canine Squat
Looks like the 1 1/2" spacer "level kit"............. "that should settle"

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OMG 🤯

1. The 2.3L has the same or very similar braking system as the Ranger, which is rated for 7500lbs. The wheelbase is shorter but I have shown in one of the other threads that @Kerney noted that tow ratings on Ford vehicles don't seem to be affected much by differences in wheelbase. Braking should not be a problem, and if it is then it should be readily rectifiable.
2. Many Bronco trims have similar or higher curb weight and GVWR to the Ranger, which again tows 7500lbs. It shouldn't be about weight.
3. Many trucks have coil suspensions now. Ram 2500 (with the Cummins) has had them since 2014 IIRC. You going to tell me that truck can't tow? The coilover setup may be an issue, but the problem is not that it does not have leafs.
4. You're now suggesting that he buy yet another vehicle - and a really really expensive one at that - to tow two other ones around, when the whole idea is that he'd want to drive one of them (Bronco) to his destination and use the other (GT350) at his destination? What would even be the point of towing the Bronco along then?
OMG!
It doesn't really even matter what the Ranger does is my point because the suspension is completely different. The Bronco has a max tow rating of 3500 lbs, is it safe to tow above that? NO!

My suggestion was, admittedly, a bit sarcastic. It's unrealistic to expect that a vehicle, who's primary design is dual-purpose on/off road, is able to tow a trailer and car (which is actually on the upper end of what a 1/2 ton truck can handle).

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OMG!
It doesn't really even matter what the Ranger does is my point because the suspension is completely different. The Bronco has a max tow rating of 3500 lbs, is it safe to tow above that? NO!

My suggestion was, admittedly, a bit sarcastic. It's unrealistic to expect that a vehicle, who's primary design is dual-purpose on/off road, is able to tow a trailer and car (which is actually on the upper end of what a 1/2 ton truck can handle).
Still so many things...

What the Ranger does was partly your point, you just didn't realize it. You were talking about the brakes being a limiting factor when they clearly aren't.

You are also talking safety as if it is a black and white issue. So 3500lbs is safe and 3501 is not? Do you have some insight that the rest of us do not into the testing done and how the results were interpreted?

Modern half tons are rated near to, and in some cases even well above, 10,000lbs. 5,700 is not the "upper end of what a 1/2 ton truck can handle." Back to the Ranger again, it is rated for 7,500lbs and is a 1/4 ton. My Kia is rated for 7,500lbs although admittedly I doubt that was SAEJ2807, but it tows 5,400 just fine. Thirsty, but fine. And finally if you really need more convincing, look up the tow rating of most Gladiator trims. Maybe have a seat before you check the max tow.package though.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i.e., "Carolina Squat"

@D2dhanover is in powertrain, not chassis, and has admittedly to not knowing first-hand. I generally trust his take, but if squat is the only issue then really all the people saying "add airbags and stiffen the hitch" are actually on the right track. No it won't increase the actual tow rating but if we're talking how far you can reasonably push this truck then they just might be right.

Personally no matter what I still wouldn't exceed GVWR and GCWR, but on anything lighter than a BL that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still so many things...

What the Ranger does was partly your point, you just didn't realize it. You were talking about the brakes being a limiting factor when they clearly aren't.

You are also talking safety as if it is a black and white issue. So 3500lbs is safe and 3501 is not? Do you have some insight that the rest of us do not into the testing done and how the results were interpreted?

Modern half tons are rated near to, and in some cases even well above, 10,000lbs. 5,700 is not the "upper end of what a 1/2 ton truck can handle." Back to the Ranger again, it is rated for 7,500lbs and is a 1/4 ton. My Kia is rated for 7,500lbs although admittedly I doubt that was SAEJ2807, but it tows 5,400 just fine. Thirsty, but fine. And finally if you really need more convincing, look up the tow rating of most Gladiator trims. Maybe have a seat before you check the max tow.package though.
I mean we're not talking about 3501 lbs, were talking about 3760 PLUS another 2000 or more for a car hauler. Sure 3500 is on the safe side and I personally won't think twice going say 500 over that.

I still don't think you get my point on the Range vs the Bronco though. It doesn't matter what the Ranger does because it is a truck with a truck suspension, the Bronco is not. It's rear-end is designed to articulate so it is NOT going to be able to handle as much weight, it's suspension is going to load up differently under heavy braking (even if it has the same rotors and calipers).

I'm sure someone will come out with an aftermarket upgrade kit for the suspension (rear air bags or whatever) for the Bronco to handle more weight and keep stability while braking. I think it's stupid personally but to each their own. I'm also not the kind of person that would buy a specialized off-road vehicle for looks though....

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This whole argument is ridiculous. It's an off-road vehicle, buy a truck if you want to tow a trailer with another vehicle on it. A Wrangler has the same exact towing capacity. There are lots of things to legitimately complain about with the Bronco, this is not one of them.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I mean we're not talking about 3501 lbs, were talking about 3760 PLUS another 2000 or more for a car hauler. Sure 3500 is on the safe side and I personally won't think twice going say 500 over that.

I still don't think you get my point on the Range vs the Bronco though. It doesn't matter what the Ranger does because it is a truck with a truck suspension, the Bronco is not. It's rear-end is designed to articulate so it is NOT going to be able to handle as much weight, it's suspension is going to load up differently under heavy braking (even if it has the same rotors and calipers).

I'm sure someone will come out with an aftermarket upgrade kit for the suspension (rear air bags or whatever) for the Bronco to handle more weight and keep stability while braking. I think it's stupid personally but to each their own. I'm also not the kind of person that would buy a specialized off-road vehicle for looks though....
To respond to your first paragraph, you are now saying that you'd tow 500lbs over the 3500lb limit, when you have previously said, and I quote:
The Bronco has a max tow rating of 3500 lbs, is it safe to tow above that? NO!
I hear what you're saying about the braking action being different, but at those high trailer weights a lot of the braking is done by the trailer brakes. Certainly he'll be well over GCWR but hopefully still under GVWR, so if he stiffens up his rear end to minimize squat and keep the front on the ground then the vehicle braking may still not be much of an issue. This comes back to us not knowing what is governing this vehicle down to 3500lbs. I get the feeling that they don't want to tell us to avoid people modding this thing and towing more than it's rated for.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This whole argument is ridiculous. It's an off-road vehicle, buy a truck if you want to tow a trailer with another vehicle on it. A Wrangler has the same exact towing capacity. There are lots of things to legitimately complain about with the Bronco, this is not one of them.
Wait a second, just a few hours ago this vehicle wasn't strictly an "off-road vehicle", it was, and again I quote:
...a vehicle, who's [sic] primary design is dual-purpose on/off road...
For the record, many people on this forum consider this vehicle to be a truck by virtue of its rugged, utilitarian nature and body-on-frame construction. Are you referring specifically to a pick-up truck?

And if you haven't noticed yet, this is a fan forum. Members here will complain about anything and everything. It's our outlet for these little frustrations. You decreeing that tow cap is not a legitimate complaint will not change that.
Sponsored