Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2022 Badlands Sasquatch 2DR Auto Trans. Bought Procal4 tune from Steeda ($699 flat)

I just installed mine a few minutes ago. I followed the directions provided on the Ford Performance Website. The install went smooth.

It was kind of nerve racking to watch the tune be installed and you see all the warning lights and chimes going off. But they all cleared with no issue once the process was complete.

I also went ahead and checked the tire size and saw that even with the sasquatch package from the package, the tires in the system was still set to the 33in tires (listed as 606 revs/mile). This would explain the mpg that was showing in the vehicle and the actual mpg. I change it to 587 revs/mile (LT315 tires) and will see if that changes makes the mileage, mpg, and miles to empty more accurate. Note: I don't care about the low MPG, I just like tracking the accuracy for maintenance.

After the install, I drove it around the block and definitely felt faster acceleration and more "pep". It definitely changes how it drives. I'll see how it goes over the next few days.
I went with 587 revs/mile on 315/70/17 and it seems to be reading about 3mph fast now on the speedometer vs. what GPS is giving me. Thoughts on the correct revs/mile? If 606 is factory for the 17" sasquatch package, I might go back to that setting.
Sponsored

lrb6805

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, 2006 Jeep LJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with 587 revs/mile on 315/70/17 and it seems to be reading about 3mph fast now on the speedometer vs. what GPS is giving me. Thoughts on the correct revs/mile? If 606 is factory for the 17" sasquatch package, I might go back to that setting.
I ended up changing mine to 612 rpm.

I did this my airing my tires to proper pressure then doing a rollout. I used painters tape on concrete and a piece on the tire. Then went forward one revolution and put more tape down. I then measured the distance (in inches) between the 2 pieces on tape on the concrete.

There are 63,360 inches in one mile

so 63,369 / rollout distance = revolutions per mile

its been very close ever since I did it this way

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2021 4 door Black Diamond Manual Transmission stock exhaust

Aside from installation issues that Ford Performance worked through (it took a few days) it has been great with the new tune.

Once installation was sorted out, which was actually pretty quick/easy after Ford Performance reset my ProCal tuner, I instantly noticed the throttle response is nicely and appropriately improved, and the turbo SCREAMS at high boost. Instead of a satisfying turbo woosh it is now a very nice WAAAAAOOOOOOOOSH! along with a slight whistle.

Torque is improved, obviously, as is HP, and it's somewhat noticeable, but I haven't done a back to back comparison of the factory tune vs the performance tune. I'm sure it's very noticeable just driving around but it is very noticeable under hard acceleration.

The rev matching on downshift is REALLY great. I do not understand why this wasn't incorporated in the factory tune because there is no downside to it at all. I never had an issue blipping the throttle and/or just slowly releasing the clutch on downshifts while also keeping it smooth, but having the engine match the revs guarantees the smoothest downshifting I've ever experienced in a vehicle with a manual transmission. I suspect that it would freak someone out at first since the engine revs suddenly, and every now and then it catches me off-guard because I've spent my entire life doing my own rev matching.

MPG has increased, though I attribute that to the premium gas. I always noticed a 1 to 1.5 mpg difference between premium and 87 octane, but the performance tune has not affected it by much. I got 17.5 mpg +/- 0.5 mpg while running 87 octane and 18.5 to 19 mpg with premium for the first 13,000 miles on the factory tune, and now MPG has settled in at around 19 to 19.5 mpg. I haven't run through more than a tank of gas yet, though, so my new data isn't that accurate.

For the purposes of discussion, though, I can report that fuel efficiency did not decrease with the 2.3-liter manual transmission in my case.

I have a new set of one step cooler spark plugs that I haven't had a chance to install yet. I don't know if that will make a difference, but I will report out on that soon. It certainly won't hurt performance. I have not had to measure spark plug gap since I gave up motocross, but if I can find my spark plug gap tool I'll try to measure the gap on the old plugs to see if they are all the same and if they are the appropriate gap, but I think better spark plugs certainly will not have a negative impact on performance/efficiency overall.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Install was pretty painless for me. Spent more time reading the directions, putting a charger on, and making sure I had everything right so I didn't inadvertently brick the ecu. Stock download literally took less than 3 seconds. Left me kind of stunned, I thought it screwed up. Performance tune flash took maybe 5 minutes. Like other have mentioned it does flash every warning and malfunction light during the write.

Overall it was about 10 minutes including the walk back and forth to my desktop for the intermediate procal tune download step.

After a quick spin around the block, the butt Dyno results are in.... There's a very noticeable increase to the low end.

Last edited:

5.0 to 2.3

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Daddy just bought one awww yeaa

Last edited:

Sponsored

donniesp

Base
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I read on this forum that
Daddy just bought one awww yeaa
Are you planning self install? I have not installed on my 2dr manual yet but plan to this weekend...

donniesp

Base
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Install was pretty painless for me. Spent more time reading the directions, putting a charger on, and making sure I had everything right so I didn't inadvertently brick the ecu. Stock download literally took less than 3 seconds. Left me kind of stunned, I thought it screwed up. Performance tune flash took maybe 5 minutes. Like other have mentioned it does flash every warning and malfunction light during the write.

Overall it was about 10 minutes including the walk back and forth to my desktop for the intermediate procal tune download step.

After a quick spin around the block, the butt Dyno results are in.... There's a very noticeable increase to the low end.
Do you leave the unit hooked up to your laptop? I have not installed yet but the instructions dont specify, maybe it is self-explanatory once I start the porcess. Any concerns with warranty on self install? I saw some folks saying it voids warranty if not installed by a Ford Performance dealer (but nothing in docs about that, so I assume myth)

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you leave the unit hooked up to your laptop? I have not installed yet but the instructions dont specify, maybe it is self-explanatory once I start the porcess. Any concerns with warranty on self install? I saw some folks saying it voids warranty if not installed by a Ford Performance dealer (but nothing in docs about that, so I assume myth)
I did not. I would have the unit connected to the laptop when the instructions called for it, and then disconnected from the laptop/connected to the ODB port as soon as the instructions indicated to do so. The instructions are vague when it comes to that.

You will not void your existing warranty by installing the tune yourself; however, if you have an issue with the engine/turbo and the dealer sees that you have the tune installed, there's a possibility they may not honor your existing warranty. Installation of the tune by an ASE mechanic or dealer will give you a 3 yr/36k warranty on the tune from Ford performance.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

No, you don't leave it hooked up to a laptop. Someone had a pretty good short succinct set of instructions here. I printed those up, it's really pretty straight forward.

Basically the abbreviated version
1)make a performance parts account.
2) enter voucher and download procal program
3)plug in unit to computer, connect to procal unit and it will update
4) hook up to bronco and download stock file, disconnect when done
5)go back to computer with procal program and hook up unit. It will ask to log in to performance parts with voucher ID. It will download the tune.
6) Return to Bronco and load tune. Sit back, mine took 5 min, could be longer. Every warning and light will go off. When finished, disconnect and enjoy.

It terms of the warranty, that's really a personal choice. You keep your standard 3 yr warranty if installed by Ford or ASME tech (need to upload proof to Ford with this one). I think other than ecu issues, it would be hard to prove a layperson pushing the button caused you to frag your engine. But it will certainly be an uphill fight. It also won't void your entire warranty. Example your door hinges breaking have nothing to do with a tune.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

5.0 to 2.3

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I read on this forum that

Are you planning self install? I have not installed on my 2dr manual yet but plan to this weekend...
Likely but am def nervous

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This picture makes me rethink my Cactus Gray... too late now!!

Mattyfly42

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 door 2.3L MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Getting mine installed at the dealer right now. Can any body tell me if the rev matching is already installed with the tune or is there a setting I need to turn on through the tuner box? Will give my butt dyne review on my way home. Thanks.
Sponsored