Sponsored

Pros / cons of a soft top versus hard top?

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So I've never owned a jeep or a convertible for that matter. When it comes to the Bronco, what are the pros/cons of a soft top over a hard top? Since I live in the NE, I do have winter to contend with. Are the soft tops noticeably less insulated? Does it get really noisy during windy weather? On the flip side, are the hard tops noticeably warmer because they're under the rays of the sun and the metal/plastic absorb the heat? Do the soft tops need to be replaced every few years due to rips and tears from use?

I'd like to get a soft top because I want the option to pop the top rather than having to store the panels in the rear. What's the consensus?
I’m currently driving a soft top Jeep and will be going with the hard top Bronco 100%.

The soft top is definitely easier to get open, with the flip back part on the front. Just flip two patches and push it back. It’s also easier to get the whole thing all the way open by taking off the side windows and the rear one, then folding the whole thing back. This is something you can do on the road and just store the panels.

I also noticed it’s not so bad getting in on hot days since it doesn’t seem to trap in heat like a hard top, but once you’re in there, it doesn’t stay as cool as it could.

Biggest draws back for me is the noise level. First time I drove it, didn’t seem too bad. First road trip where I got to actually spend time in it, nearly lost my voice talking to the passenger. I was just excited to get the Jeep so I didn’t process just how loud it was compared to non-soft top vehicles.

With the Bronco, Ford seems to have thought of a good solution for hard top owners by creating that middle roof panel on the 4 doors so the top can seem pretty much completely open from the inside without having to take of the big back part and store it.

So that along with better sound insulation, better noise insulation, optional additional insulation panels, and a generally more premium look seems like a good option in my opinion.
Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are youtube videos that use sound meters and at least some of the videos show almost no difference between hard and soft top at speed (for JL’s) - interesting. Worth checking out if that is a big factor. Given no access to Broncos, Jeep is the best proxy.
Thats because people dont know how to read a sound meter. A ~3 db increase is double the sound energy. Also, they might have had non-standard top types. i.e. the basic plastic shell vs the an insulated soft top.

Navy94

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I believe the Wildtrak comes with dual top as an option.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Intrigued by the hoist. I had been thinking along the lines of some sort of wall mount to hang the rear clamshell on, but a hoist of some sort is interesting.
I have two hoists - one Harken and one Hoist-a-Top:
The release on the Harken one is finicky (on the side of not releasing thankfully), but it is much easier to use otherwise.
The Hoist-a-Top is on an electric hoist - works good, but it lifts from one point so getting the top balanced is a little tricky.

Either way it takes about 15 to 20 minutes for a Jeep, and they are out of the way. Not something you do every day, which is why I am hopeful for a Trektop for the two door.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had the first year JK model, a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with the dual top option. I only used the soft top once. I liked the hard top. Even on the four door the top is removable by one person. I made a hanger in my high ceiling garage so I could lift the top on my back and set it on my hanger. This made top on and off a 10 minute ordeal. I hate the freedom top front panels. I never had issues, but I know at least two people who lemoned jeeps they couldn't stop from leaking in the rain. I've never had an issue, but I am always thorough with top reinstallation.

I now own a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon with the premium soft top. It doesn't seem to shrink or have issues like the standard jeep vinyl coated tops. It's fine. I always thought I'd buy a hard top for my 2 door rubicon, but I haven't felt the need to spend the money. I only put the top down and take off the doors maybe twice a year. I ride motorcycles, so I get plenty of hot sweaty and freezing cold miles on two wheels.

Simple hanger for my 4 door hard top:

hardtop1.jpg

hardtop2.jpg

The fuzzy premium top:

2016_01_10_big_fork_1.jpg

Sponsored

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thats because people dont know how to read a sound meter. A ~3 db increase is double the sound energy. Also, they might have had non-standard top types. i.e. the basic plastic shell vs the an insulated soft top.
I understand decibels are logarithmic.

The video I watched a few weeks ago, showed 1 dB difference. There are a bunch of cavets about how reliable sound meter testing may be and even issues with the “quality“ of sound that are at the same level dB.

The point of my post was that not everyone agrees there are significant sound differences between hard and soft and therefore it‘s worth investigating if you want a soft top but think that it must, by definition, be way louder.

This is one of the videos

Big_Ed

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haven't read all the replies on this thread, but I can offer some insight as I have a Jeep wrangler with both a hardtop and a soft top.

Things to note:
- The noise is MUCH greater with the soft top. especially at highway speeds
- Even with the hardtop, noise levels tend to be higher than in other vehicles with permanent roofs (of course, I've never driven in a new Bronco, so this could conceivably be different)
- If you ever leave your Bronco outside, it's significantly easier to break into one with a soft top than it is one with a hardtop. Depending on where you live/work/drive this is probably the most important consideration imo.
- I don't think this will apply to the Broncos (could be wrong) but removing and replacing the Wrangler hardtop is significantly more difficult than the soft top. Hardtop requires at minimum two physically strong people to put on/remove.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just on the theft side of things people keep bringing up, it’s really no more difficult and actually much quicker to break a window than cut through the thick material the soft tops made of, even if the windows are plastic they’re still rather thick and take a bit of work to make a hole large enough to get in. And then would still have to climb through that hole. Only benefit to a thief is less noise, but if it’s just something you left on the seat they want noise won’t bother then, simple smash window grab and run is easier than cutting a top up. Even with a hard top I wouldn’t leave anything out in the open that would attract a thief’s attention. Heck if the weathers nice I usually leave the top on my convertible down and just roll windows up and lock doors. If they wanna crawl in there’s nothing I leave worth stealing and if they’ve got the skill to steal the car a top wouldn’t stop them, soft or hard.

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Intrigued by the hoist. I had been thinking along the lines of some sort of wall mount to hang the rear clamshell on, but a hoist of some sort is interesting.

Similar to my setup for our 4 door. My Raptor usually sits where the Jeep is but a spring on my big garage door exploded 2 nights ago so it's sitting outside until the new spring set gets here.

Ford Bronco Pros / cons of a soft top versus hard top? 20200730_153132
Ford Bronco Pros / cons of a soft top versus hard top? 20200730_153139

Last edited:

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think the biggest idea/advantage of a soft top was the simplicity of taking off sections or the whole thing, better allowed you to enjoy the great outdoors. However i didn't like that the windows were not glass and scratched easy on older tops, they shrank and became harder to close and zip up and could be torn. They also provided little to no protection from large hail, lightning etc. and let heat and cool in far more. Again some of this only applies in parts of the u.s. Hard tops also provide more security(harder to break in) and are far quieter.

They were great in my 20s as I almost never had the top on and enjoyed the wide open feeling, but as an adult I aporeciate the added quietness, safety, and better insulation a hard top provides. And now with them being able to have sections removed, real glass windows, etc I just much prefer a hard top. Disadvantageof hard top, where to store when you remove, heavier and harder to remove.

Its definitely a personal preference in which you will get many varying opinions im sure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
different)
- If you ever leave your Bronco outside, it's significantly easier to break into one with a soft top than it is one with a hardtop. Depending on where you live/work/drive this is probably the most important consideration imo.
I’ve driven soft top convertibles for over 30 years. I never leave anything of value inside the passenger compartment (easier to do when you have a trunk).

I Do Not lock my doors. If someone wants to get inside and look around, be my guest. Take my change, just don’t cut my top. Cutting the top takes no time, so the locked door is more likely to cost you $2,000 than to protect your stuff or deter the thief. This wouldn’t work in every US city but always has worked well for me.

highonthedesert

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Why I'll have a hard top:

1. Hard top on the 4-door comes off easily anyway (Wrangler 4-door rear section was always a PITA and super heavy).
  2. Reduced noise on the highway
  3. Reduced possibility of water leaks
  4. Reduced possibility of wind leaks/whistling noises
  5. Reduced possibility of theft
  6. Better-regulated temperature comfort in the summer (dark soft top on the Wrangler radiates an insane amount of heat at head level)
  7. No risk of being targeted by top-cutting vandals
  8. Ease of access to the rear cargo area (unless the Bronco has swing-up glass on the soft top)
  9. Vehicle lines on the Bronco look better with the hard top, at least judging by the video recently posted showing the actual soft top on the 4-door. On the Wranglers, the soft tops actually make the vehicles look a little tougher as they are raised up a bit higher.
  10. Wife wants a hard top. Also, this should be the first reason.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ease of access to the rear cargo area (unless the Bronco has swing-up glass on the soft top)
Just to point out, only way it’d really be easier on new broncos hard top is if you completely remove the spare tire and third brake light. Otherwise you still have to open the tailgate before opening the swing up(they block the swing up top piece).

Also, are top cutting vandals actually a thing in some places? Honestly haven’t known anybody who’s soft tops been slashed unless it was a pissed off ex or girlfriend they cheated on.

And the only reason that really matters there is 10.

OCDON

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a JK as well with the dual top. It is a weekend only vehicle so have always taken the doors and hardtop off in May and stays that way until October. The soft top stays flipped back put nice to have something if you get caught in the rain. Was close to getting a JL with the sky one touch as I really have had enough of switching tops twice a year. With the modular roof on the Bronco going just hard top this time. Really hope the rear windows are removable as well as has been discussed. Anyone else have a fear about going with the painted top, and having it get dinged up with the removal and storage? I’m leaning heavy towards the gray molded in color because of this but then that may affect my body color choice.
Sponsored