Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looks like the 3,500 pound towing capacity is more about vehicle dynamics instead of powertrain. Do you think there's a downside to pulling something near the capacity with a 2.3 manual?

Are there any Jeep owners who pull something like this? How does it perform?

Any thoughts if a manual would have a downside?
Ford Bronco Pulling a Camper/Trailer with a 2.3T 7-speed 2-door 1597334633466
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are already several threads on this topic..... just saying....

The answer to your question has most likely already been asked & answered several times.....

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/towing-capacity-poll.3350/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/towing-capacity.716/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/what-would-be-a-realistic-towing-capacity.3614/

.... OP, I'm sorry....

I just keep seeing the same questions being asked over and over and them being answered over and over.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are already several threads on this topic..... just saying....

The answer to your question has most likely already been asked & answered several times.....

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/towing-capacity-poll.3350/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/towing-capacity.716/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/what-would-be-a-realistic-towing-capacity.3614/

.... OP, I'm sorry....

I just keep seeing the same questions being asked over and over and them being answered over and over.
I see the "Just spend a minute and Google" and "We've answered this OVER AND OVER"... replies all the time. Never thought I'd be on the receiving end of it.

I couldn't find any input on the downside (If any) of a manual transmission so I was hoping Jeep owners would comment.

I can't seem to find how to delete a thread or I would. Maybe there are 3 other threads telling me how to, I just haven't looked yet. My apologies.

Norville

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325i, 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Aside from the general published weight limit, I'd be mainly concerned about premature engine wear (e.g. 100k miles or less) if you tow all the time on a 4 cylinder engine (not sure about the transmission though).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d be more concerned about the Bronco’s off-road tuned suspension and short wheelbase of the 2DR more than the powertrain for towing near capacity.
I thought they would have then lowered the 2-door tow rating vs. the 4-door? I agree, that's why I'm hoping for some Wrangler experience comments.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a manual in my last Frontier (a while ago) and when I switched to an F150, the only thing I missed was the manual...except when towing. That said, I was not great at backing the camper into position and repositioning with a manual sucks.

I guess a better question is how much will you be towing and can you live with the inconvenience when you are?

Haulin455

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought they would have then lowered the 2-door tow rating vs. the 4-door? I agree, that's why I'm hoping for some Wrangler experience comments.
I imagine the suspension is the limiting factor which is the same for both 2DR/4DR. But none-the-less a longer wheelbase almost always increases stability.

Sponsored

yelirny

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My mother in law towed an 18 ft speedboat with her manual 2 door Jeep a lot. Never had any issues with it as far as I know. Not sure how much it weighed, but I am sure it was close to if not more than 3,000 lbs. I'd say if you are comfortable at both towing and handling a manual transmission you should be fine.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess a better question is how much will you be towing and can you live with the inconvenience when you are?
I have just some one off towing experience, so I don't know much, but I'd like to get a trailer that definitely fits under the 3,500 limit. Hopefully a few hundred pounds under. So my purchase will be driven by advice like yours and others.

I watched a 4 door Wrangler video of a under 3,500 pounds trailer but he still bought hitch supports (Not sure what they're called) to help distribute the weight. I'm just trying to absorb as much info as possible. Thanks.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My understanding is torque converters take a lot less abuse from moving from a start under very high load than a dry clutch - so the auto would probably be better for towing.
^This. A torque converter is designed to slip, it's what it does. A clutch is designed to grab, and it slips only because it has to for a very short time. More slip -> more wear.

That being said I wouldn't hesitate to tow the rated capacity with a stick. Plenty of safety margins built in there.

BroncoJosh

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 F150, 2x4, SB, L6, 5spd; '07 Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
^This. A torque converter is designed to slip, it's what it does. A clutch is designed to grab, and it slips only because it has to for a very short time. More slip -> more wear.

That being said I wouldn't hesitate to tow the rated capacity with a stick. Plenty of safety margins built in there.
^This. Plus I would expect the C on the stick to take away some of that slip on takeoff.
Sponsored