Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seriously?
The bigger the bang the shorter the life…
LoL, tell that to my 07 5.9 Cummins, been juiced for many thousands of miles. Nothing wrong with a tuned engine if done properly.

I do run the Pulsar on level 3 with throttle at 3 and love it. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it now. Not too worried about it after seeing how stout the 2.7 internals are.
Sponsored

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the Procal tune plus an aftermarket VR piggyback tuner and it’s awesome together. I like to play with buttons. lol So I like the ability to change the power curve to where I’m going to be driving(mountains, paved, sand, and snow).
The VR Tuned box is basically just a rebranded RaceChip. Same goes for Panda’s tuning solution. I’m curious to know if you’re running level 7 on top of your Ford Tune? If so, I’d be curious to see what’s going on with KnkAdder PID using the gauges option on your ProCal.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

All true. What you didn't point out is that ideally the stock transmission will shift exactly at that ideal, narrower peak. If there is a DIY way to make that happen I'm sure many, including myself, would be interested. Bigger target if you have a broader plateau of peak torque. This assumes we're talking the stock auto 10Spd. I can see the torque advantage where acceleration is the sole requirement. I'm not an off road rock crawler type so I can't speak to whether a flatter curve is better than a leakier curve. I do know that if you're towing something a big old ironing board for your tq peak. My uneducated impression of rock crawling is it's not much different than towing. I would really appreciate someone educating me on that point. I come here to learn and hopefully contribute something useful in return.
To return to my first sentence; "My 5¢. For me I prefer the flatter less peaky tune of the Procal". Nothing you stated, no matter how factually accurate given your stated goals, changes my mind. Are both of us right? I'd say yes given our slightly different goals. Could we both be wrong? Not so much.
Fun back and forth. Thanks for that.
I really would like to know if a flatter torque peak is advantageous for low speed, grunt inducing conditions.
The transmission shift points rely heavily on throttle position, if you're at full throttle then it'll go to the highest shift point in its programming, but if you're holding a sustained 40% throttle, such as towing a trailer up a hill, shift points will be focused more in the mid range and attempt to keep it close to that sweet spot for torque and HP. If you're on the highway going 55 and asking 25% throttle, you might see in the 2000-ish range. I think there's a company out there that's figured out custom shift point mapping for the Bronco (don't quote me on that, it's been a while since I looked) and it's really just a matter of reprogramming it to do what they want.

What I was trying to explain is that the difference between the two as far as the curves are concerned are mostly irrelevant when you get on the road, but the power that the xt makes over a broad area is absolutely relevant. You won't notice that it's peaky, whether you're towing or racing, you'll just notice that more power is on tap. Here's an example, if you're towing, just cut the parts of the RPM band out that you don't expect to see when towing at and compare the two together...

Ford Bronco Pulsar XT vs Ford Procal Tuner Dyno Comparison Untitled

The XT actually has a flatter torque curve here, it comes on sooner and is sustained longer. The V6 may be designed to rev way up past this point, but for towing, if you're having to get up past the 4500RPM range then you're probably either towing more than you should or you need more power. Peak power hits just before this point so it's kind of a gradual transition rather than a slump. A lot of performance products, such as exhaust or intakes or cams etc, are kind of a tradeoff and compromise...you'll get a ton of extra power in this or that spot but you'll lose a bit over there. The XT is similar when comparing it to the procal above 5252RPM, but in that regard you're giving up a small amount of power in a spot that you rarely find yourself in unless you're drag racing. You certainly won't be seeing it when towing unless you're trying to pass someone on a 2 lane highway. If I were looking for more towing power, I'd go with the XT.

Unless you're rock bouncing or going KOH on some trails, the amount of power and whatever curve it presents as is mostly irrelevant. I've seen guys spinning 40's and running a stock 2.5L in a YJ crawling up rocks, so even that anemic 4cyl is getting the job done. Throttle response time and the ability to finely control that power is way more important than torque or HP or curves, which is why turbos have historically been a second choice to superchargers on crawlers...you don't want to wait for that turbo to spool up and you don't want boost to suddenly start building when you don't expect it to. Nearly any time someone is looking to add more power to their rig and their primary means of offroad is on the rocks, they don't need the power there, they need it for getting to the trail and back because those big tires sap power like crazy. That or it's a mix of rocks and other terrain like sand or snow that does require some power to navigate. The exception to that are those guys trying to wheel gigantic unimogs and 5 ton trucks...they usually need a boost in power because towing power doesn't always transfer over to the rocks. Nah, the extra power that's needed for most guys is the getting back on the highway and want it to drive like it did when it was stock part, you know, being able to achieve highway speeds without burying the needle into the red, that sort of thing lol

Here's something else to consider. A perfectly flat torque curve across the board is going to make your engine peaky. That's just how the function of torque and RPM work to make HP. It's actually a great curve for a racing engine, as the power delivery is consistent and reliably tied to RPM. A supercharger often gives you a very flat torque curve as its ability to pump air is dependent on RPM, so the faster it revs, the more power it can theoretically make. This is from a supercharged BMW E92 M3:

tK8eQTGJT-NelFKHwMHezOFORbkrpsN4p0VCFcI__zjZp428F8.jpg

If you wanted the HP curve to look flat, the torque would look like an inverse of the HP curve above, meaning the engine can efficiently make power down low but struggles more and more to make it at higher RPM, it basically runs out of steam. That kind of curve is seen more on turbocharged engines as the turbo can spool up to full boost independent of RPM. It's most common on turbodiesel engines in particular, such as this duramax:

evy-gmc-66l-duramax-l5p-85400-262-1698966368254037.jpg

Going back to rock crawling, diesel engines and their relatively flat HP curves do fine, but they're not a common swap. Not because of what the dyno says, but because of the turbo and weight consideration. There's not really enough of an advantage to justify the other disadvantages. Most guys aren't really worried about the whole graph, just the area between idle and 3,000RPM or so. An LS usually ticks all the good boxes simply because there's no forced induction to worry about, it's predictable, it's a rather tame reliable engine when stock, and it'll push a Jeep on 40's to highway speed without breaking a sweat. We don't really have the option of an LS or coyote swap, but the little 2.7L is a good contender in the rocks and on the highway.

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven't compared the two back to back yet, but my previous 0-60 numbers with the ProCal are slower than level 5 on the Pulsar XT. In fact, the level 3 setting on the Pulsar XT is more comparable to the Ford ProCal when talking about 0-60 times. I plan to post my review of the Pulsar XT in the coming days.

I will also say, from my testing their claim of .5 sec 0-60 improvement is actually conservative. This device is pretty damn impressive on it's own and very easy to use... best piggyback tuner I've used thus far.

I just loaded up my ProCal tune so I'll see how they do stacked on 93 octane :)

Last edited:

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Okay, so I've had some fun testing the Pulsar XT and Ford ProCal Tune combo. Still working on my standalone Pulsar XT review, but I'll post my results and thoughts with the two stacked together here.

To get this right out of the way, like SuperChips said, I wouldn't daily these two devices together. The reason being, there's too much positive degrees showing up on the KnK Adder PID on my Ford ProCal 4. I'm not an expert here, but from what I've read, up to 5.0 degrees is "Okay" but anything more the PCM has to retard too much timing in order to prevent detonation. The ProCal by itself with see a positive reading, but normally under 5 degrees. Keep in mind, this doesn't happen at WOT, but normal everyday throttle input. You never want to see a positive number when going WOT. You want to see either 0.0 or negative numbers.

With the Pulsar XT installed, even on LVL 2, I see in upwards of 6.0-8.0 degrees on 93 Pump gas and higher on LVL3+. One thing worth mentioning, I use run of the mill Sheetz gas, so a top tier gas may show different results. That being said, I also tested an E30 mix and saw similar behavior, but to a much lesser extent (Under 5 degrees) so that could be a safe option, but hardly convenient for a daily driver.

Like SuperChips said, I don't see any detonation on WOT, so let's get to some performance numbers :)

First off, my Bronco isn't stock. It has the below modifications:

2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch. 2.7L, 4-door, soft-top, with a bunch of skids and rock rails. It's a heavy boy and I am too.

• Ford ProCal Tune
  • Pulsar XT
  • Injen CAI
  • CVF Intercooler
  • Turbosmart BOV
  • NGK 95605 Plugs (.028 gap)
  • 93 Octane and E30 mix as stated

Sport mode - ATC off- 4H - 2nd gear launch

Running 93 Octane + Ford ProCal tune & the Pulsar XT set to level 5 I ran the 0-60 time below.
The best run I had was 5.04s, but I experienced wheel hop.

Ford Bronco Pulsar XT vs Ford Procal Tuner Dyno Comparison 5.08.JPG
Ford Bronco Pulsar XT vs Ford Procal Tuner Dyno Comparison 5.04.JPG

Same setup as above, but with a mix of E30 fuel.

4.8 Seconds! Crazy for a five thousand pound shoe box on 35's :)

Ford Bronco Pulsar XT vs Ford Procal Tuner Dyno Comparison 4.81.PNG

I won't daily this combo, but wanted to share my experience with the two stacked together.

• Wow
Reactions: 0ne

Sponsored
OP
OP
Superchips_Mktg

Superchips_Mktg

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.holley.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Okay, so I've had some fun testing the Pulsar XT and Ford ProCal Tune combo. Still working on my standalone Pulsar XT review, but I'll post my results and thoughts with the two stacked together here.

To get this right out of the way, like SuperChips said, I wouldn't daily these two devices together. The reason being, there's too much positive degrees showing up on the KnK Adder PID on my Ford ProCal 4. I'm not an expert here, but from what I've read, up to 5.0 degrees is "Okay" but anything more the PCM has to retard too much timing in order to prevent detonation. The ProCal by itself with see a positive reading, but normally under 5 degrees. Keep in mind, this doesn't happen at WOT, but normal everyday throttle input. You never want to see a positive number when going WOT. You want to see either 0.0 or negative numbers.

With the Pulsar XT installed, even on LVL 2, I see in upwards of 6.0-8.0 degrees on 93 Pump gas and higher on LVL3+. One thing worth mentioning, I use run of the mill Sheetz gas, so a top tier gas may show different results. That being said, I also tested an E30 mix and saw similar behavior, but to a much lesser extent (Under 5 degrees) so that could be a safe option, but hardly convenient for a daily driver.

Like SuperChips said, I don't see any detonation on WOT, so let's get to some performance numbers :)

First off, my Bronco isn't stock. It has the below modifications:

2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch. 2.7L, 4-door, soft-top, with a bunch of skids and rock rails. It's a heavy boy and I am too.

• Ford ProCal Tune
  • Pulsar XT
  • Injen CAI
  • CVF Intercooler
  • Turbosmart BOV
  • NGK 95605 Plugs (.028 gap)
  • 93 Octane and E30 mix as stated

Sport mode - ATC off- 4H - 2nd gear launch

Running 93 Octane + Ford ProCal tune & the Pulsar XT set to level 5 I ran the 0-60 time below.
The best run I had was 5.04s, but I experienced wheel hop.

Same setup as above, but with a mix of E30 fuel.

4.8 Seconds! Crazy for a five thousand pound shoe box on 35's :)

I won't daily this combo, but wanted to share my experience with the two stacked together.
Nice results, thanks for sharing!

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The transmission shift points rely heavily on throttle position, if you're at full throttle then it'll go to the highest shift point in its programming, but if you're holding a sustained 40% throttle, such as towing a trailer up a hill, shift points will be focused more in the mid range and attempt to keep it close to that sweet spot for torque and HP. If you're on the highway going 55 and asking 25% throttle, you might see in the 2000-ish range. I think there's a company out there that's figured out custom shift point mapping for the Bronco (don't quote me on that, it's been a while since I looked) and it's really just a matter of reprogramming it to do what they want.

What I was trying to explain is that the difference between the two as far as the curves are concerned are mostly irrelevant when you get on the road, but the power that the xt makes over a broad area is absolutely relevant. You won't notice that it's peaky, whether you're towing or racing, you'll just notice that more power is on tap. Here's an example, if you're towing, just cut the parts of the RPM band out that you don't expect to see when towing at and compare the two together...

The XT actually has a flatter torque curve here, it comes on sooner and is sustained longer. The V6 may be designed to rev way up past this point, but for towing, if you're having to get up past the 4500RPM range then you're probably either towing more than you should or you need more power. Peak power hits just before this point so it's kind of a gradual transition rather than a slump. A lot of performance products, such as exhaust or intakes or cams etc, are kind of a tradeoff and compromise...you'll get a ton of extra power in this or that spot but you'll lose a bit over there. The XT is similar when comparing it to the procal above 5252RPM, but in that regard you're giving up a small amount of power in a spot that you rarely find yourself in unless you're drag racing. You certainly won't be seeing it when towing unless you're trying to pass someone on a 2 lane highway. If I were looking for more towing power, I'd go with the XT.

Unless you're rock bouncing or going KOH on some trails, the amount of power and whatever curve it presents as is mostly irrelevant. I've seen guys spinning 40's and running a stock 2.5L in a YJ crawling up rocks, so even that anemic 4cyl is getting the job done. Throttle response time and the ability to finely control that power is way more important than torque or HP or curves, which is why turbos have historically been a second choice to superchargers on crawlers...you don't want to wait for that turbo to spool up and you don't want boost to suddenly start building when you don't expect it to. Nearly any time someone is looking to add more power to their rig and their primary means of offroad is on the rocks, they don't need the power there, they need it for getting to the trail and back because those big tires sap power like crazy. That or it's a mix of rocks and other terrain like sand or snow that does require some power to navigate. The exception to that are those guys trying to wheel gigantic unimogs and 5 ton trucks...they usually need a boost in power because towing power doesn't always transfer over to the rocks. Nah, the extra power that's needed for most guys is the getting back on the highway and want it to drive like it did when it was stock part, you know, being able to achieve highway speeds without burying the needle into the red, that sort of thing lol

Here's something else to consider. A perfectly flat torque curve across the board is going to make your engine peaky. That's just how the function of torque and RPM work to make HP. It's actually a great curve for a racing engine, as the power delivery is consistent and reliably tied to RPM. A supercharger often gives you a very flat torque curve as its ability to pump air is dependent on RPM, so the faster it revs, the more power it can theoretically make. This is from a supercharged BMW E92 M3:

If you wanted the HP curve to look flat, the torque would look like an inverse of the HP curve above, meaning the engine can efficiently make power down low but struggles more and more to make it at higher RPM, it basically runs out of steam. That kind of curve is seen more on turbocharged engines as the turbo can spool up to full boost independent of RPM. It's most common on turbodiesel engines in particular, such as this duramax:

Going back to rock crawling, diesel engines and their relatively flat HP curves do fine, but they're not a common swap. Not because of what the dyno says, but because of the turbo and weight consideration. There's not really enough of an advantage to justify the other disadvantages. Most guys aren't really worried about the whole graph, just the area between idle and 3,000RPM or so. An LS usually ticks all the good boxes simply because there's no forced induction to worry about, it's predictable, it's a rather tame reliable engine when stock, and it'll push a Jeep on 40's to highway speed without breaking a sweat. We don't really have the option of an LS or coyote swap, but the little 2.7L is a good contender in the rocks and on the highway.
Great info, thanks

Biz

Outer Banks
First Name
Biz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 2dr / 2019 Edge St / 2016 Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lots of good information in here. I'm 30 min from a drag strip so once the nice weather gets here I'll do some passes with the Pulsar XT and its levels vs stock. I know people say draggy is reliable but I've seen noticeable differences between the 2.
I'll also record the runs for those who care.
Sponsored