First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks, definitely makes sense. I’m getting more and more comfortable with my decision. I enjoy learning from everyone and getting their perspective!
Newbie here! Thinking about signing up for one or more of the courses outlined in the attached. I agree 80% is the skill of the driver!
I see myself buying off-road gear, but I want to know how/when to use it and whether or not it will get used on my Bronco playgrounds. A fascinating journey!

https://overlandexperts.com/training-programs/recreational/?v=893f26889d1e
Sponsored

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
NONE of the fancy new gadgetry is required to be a seriously capable rock crawler. Experience goes a long way. Lockers and good underbelly/approach/departure angle will help make up for lack of experience.

All of the new off road tech stuff on the Bronco is just gravy, fun and cool to have. If you can't afford anything but a Base, buy a Base and then save your pennies to build it up. Just be aware, building an off road rig from the ground up is a never ending process. Upgrading one item leads to another weakness that needs to be addressed. Eventually you will have as much or more money into your Base as you would have had if you bought a Badlands. That's been my experience anyway, but building a rig can be as much fun as actually taking it off road.

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Bronco, Honda si, cj7, 68 Shelby,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, from what I read it’s great especially for less than ideal weather conditions but for me I’m thinking this will be strictly our fun/traveling vehicle

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Sasquatch package on any trim will be awesome and if driven competently will take you 99.9% of the places an "upgadgeted" model will. Lockers, lift and 35"s will do all a sane person would want.

Remember Clint Eastwood "A man's got to know his limitations"

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Sasquatch package on any trim will be awesome and if driven competently will take you 99.9% of the places an "upgadgeted" model will. Lockers, lift and 35"s will do all a sane person would want.

Remember Clint Eastwood "A man's got to know his limitations"
One of my favorite actors!

Sponsored

IIISHIFTYIII

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I have done quite a bit of crawling and from my experience the limiting factor in where these vehicles will go is going to be determined by your personal comfort level as a driver. 35" tires and lockers will get you places you really, really don't feel comfortable putting a 30k+ vehicle. If you are reasonable about where you want to go or trails you want to tackle, the Sasquatch package will get you 95% of those places. The other 5% is gonna be dedicated to crawling rigs that people don't care about Body damage on.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base is fine as long as you can get it squatched. Factory sliders won’t be good enough for me and I will get some that stick out farther and are stronger. Look at the problems with the jeep factory sliders pinching into the body. It’s better then nothing but I will do something different. Possibly a diff skid or cover, Maybe heavier duty rear LCA’s If they are not strong enough, armor for the LCA’s mounting locations as well as for the rear lower shock mount locations. Possible have to rework the exhaust as well. All these things I did to my Fj to take on some hard trails.

and I will have to do this on whatever trim level I get.

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base is fine as long as you can get it squatched. Factory sliders won’t be good enough for me and I will get some that stick out farther and are stronger. Look at the problems with the jeep factory sliders pinching into the body. It’s better then nothing but I will do something different. Possibly a diff skid or cover, Maybe heavier duty rear LCA’s If they are not strong enough, armor for the LCA’s mounting locations as well as for the rear lower shock mount locations. Possible have to rework the exhaust as well. All these things I did to my Fj to take on some hard trails.

and I will have to do this on whatever trim level I get.
Ok sorry, what is a LCA?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t off road/ rock climb etc. when I watch the videos however, it reminds me of tryin to get someone out of snow they are stuck in, which is a common occurrence around here. I’ve seen tricked out lifted f150s stuck in snow and I’ve seen Honda Civic get through where you wouldn’t think a truck could get through. To me, its 80% driver. You can spend 20k extra rigging your vehicle for climbing over big rocks but if you aren’t good at spatial relations or can sense proper time to gas or go slow, all your extra money isn’t going to matter. I’d figure out how much help you need before spending money getting it

Great response .....in summary "experience required".....How do you get experience? Start out as a NOOB.

I learned offroading in Classic Broncos, non-locked, small lifts running 33's....... absolutely NO ELECTRONIC wizardry of any type, not even a radio. (See my profile pic over there)

You will be AMAZED where that BASIC set up will take you.
So, I do not mean this as a knock, but for a NOOBIE, a BaseSquatch will be far more capable than you are, at this moment. If you rode with an experienced driver, they could take that rig to places that would make your stomach churn, I promise you that, it happened to me!!!

So for me, and probably any knowledgeable offroader, i am FAR more concerned with the hardware I'm getting, not the software. I swear to you, I haven't read anything about the software at all, it makes ZERO difference to me and might actually be negative points if it ever stops me from doing wht I want it to do.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s the arms mounted to your axel going forward and mounting to your frame. Keeps your rear axel in place. After sliders I replaced these on my Fj.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great response .....in summary "experience required".....How do you get experience? Start out as a NOOB.

I learned offroading in Classic Broncos, non-locked, small lifts running 33's....... absolutely NO ELECTRONIC wizardry of any type, not even a radio. (See my profile pic over there)

You will be AMAZED where that BASIC set up will take you.
So, I do not mean this as a knock, but for a NOOBIE, a BaseSquatch will be far more capable than you are, at this moment. If you rode with an experienced driver, they could take that rig to places that would make your stomach churn, I promise you that, it happened to me!!!

So for me, and probably any knowledgeable offroader, i am FAR more concerned with the hardware I'm getting, not the software. I swear to you, I haven't read anything about the software at all, it makes ZERO difference to me and might actually be negative points if it ever stops me from doing wht I want it to do.
Yes, I’m a newbie and not shy about it! That is why I wanted to hear from all of you first hand your experiences and thoughts on high tech Options and the beginner. Thanks!

Pork-n-Bean

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moon Vehicle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Basesquatch would be ideal. There is no substitute for training and experience.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i wouldn't concentrate so much on gear, but going in group with good experienced spotters makes all the difference in picking the right lines and keeping damage to the minimum.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

...and as a Rubicon owner with two lockers: don't be too anxious to engage those lockers. Use the rear when you really don't think you'll make it without and use the front only when needed, then think long and hard about whether you'll be able to get back out.
Sponsored