First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My post has a link to the project box I used. Hood closes fine.

from what I recall, the control box only has the small ground wire. 3 of the 4 posts on the solenoid pack are 2 awg going to the 3 posts on the winch. The forth is positive from the battery (with the provided cutoff switch inline). I used the two 6’ cables from the apex and bought two more from batterycablesusa.

to recap the wiring:
• 1’ battery to cut off switch
• 3’ cut off switch to project box
• 6’ ground from winch to battery
• 3x 6’ from winch to control box (one provide, 2 from batterycablesusa)
• tiny ground from control box to battery
And thanks for the box link. Missed that. I ordered that size and one slightly smaller. I'll post pictures and kinks to pay it forward.
Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I believe the middle of those 3 2AWG routing back from the control boxes is ground. That's the run I'm questioning. I assume you grounded the small wire inside the engine compartment and not all the way back up at the winch.

It will be easy to check which is ground (and if it's ground) when I hook it up. But I'm a bit superstitious/paranoid that the load for some reason requires a second ground path.
I don’t think it’s ground. One of the posts on the solenoid pack wires to battery, then the other three are F1, F2, A and connect directly between control pack and winch. Even if one is ground, I’d use 2 awg. All 3 of the 3’ relocation cables that come with the winch are thick.

The thin ground from control box, I just hooked to the battery. When the control pack is on the winch, it makes sense to ground to the ground spot on the winch since that’s already running back to negative terminal. But they are all directly connected either way.

Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount & Winch Install w/ Control Box Relocation 1673552459420

OP
OP
BroncoSarge

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a problem where the Ford parking sensor ends weren’t long enough to pop through the sensor holes in the bumper like the directions said. So my parking sensor extensions are short getting to the sensors to connect… any suggestions?
behind the bumper there was a tiny bit of slack on mine. I pulled the slack to the center. If not. Verify the route you took.

dfosterh

Badlands
First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t think it’s ground. One of the posts on the solenoid pack wires to battery, then the other three are F1, F2, A and connect directly between control pack and winch. Even if one is ground, I’d use 2 awg. All 3 of the 3’ relocation cables that come with the winch are thick.

The thin ground from control box, I just hooked to the battery. When the control pack is on the winch, it makes sense to ground to the ground spot on the winch since that’s already running back to negative terminal. But they are all directly connected either way.

Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount & Winch Install w/ Control Box Relocation 1673552459420
You know, now that I think of it, if one of the 3 (F1, F2, or A) was ground, it would be either competing the circuit via that tiny 10ga wire or redundant ground for the control box. It must not be ground at all.

It does make me wonder why there are 3 wires to make a motor go either forward or backward.

I guess I'm going to spend another $24 on a cable :). In for a $thousand, in for a dime.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You know, now that I think of it, if one of the 3 (F1, F2, or A) was ground, it would be either competing the circuit via that tiny 10ga wire or redundant ground for the control box. It must not be ground at all.

It does make me wonder why there are 3 wires to make a motor go either forward or backward.

I guess I'm going to spend another $24 on a cable :). In for a $thousand, in for a dime.
Quick google tells me 12V goes over A and either F1 or F2 depending on which direction you are running it

Sponsored

bg1767

First Edition
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Anyone know what this is for? It came with the winch mount and I didn't see it mentioned in the instructions.

20230210_154028.jpg

NoloBronco

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone know what this is for? It came with the winch mount and I didn't see it mentioned in the instructions.

20230210_154028.jpg
Looks like what I have been looking for to relocate and mount my solenoid.

OP
OP
BroncoSarge

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount & Winch Install w/ Control Box Relocation 20230210_154028
No idea. Wasn’t in my kit back when I got it. It has been a while thou…

Smith_F1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same mount on order along with the rough country winch. The control box relocation is what I’m trying to figure out. Their control box is huge. I’ll probably just have to build something for it once it’s in my hands.
Just checking to see if you relocated the Rough Country Winch control box. I am trying to find some examples. There are threads on the Warn, Smittybilt and Apex... but not the Rough Country.

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250, Ford Expedition Max, Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checking to see if you relocated the Rough Country Winch control box. I am trying to find some examples. There are threads on the Warn, Smittybilt and Apex... but not the Rough Country.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/badsquatch-perseverance-build-with-3”-lift-and-37s.46621/post-1527336
Is the post from my build where I relocated mine. The better description of how is actually in @BroncoSarge post here.

He used a smittybuilt winch but the process is exactly the same. The RC box is a little taller but still works in the same location.

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

Smith_F1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/badsquatch-perseverance-build-with-3”-lift-and-37s.46621/post-1527336
Is the post from my build where I relocated mine. The better description of how is actually in @BroncoSarge post here.

He used a smittybuilt winch but the process is exactly the same. The RC box is a little taller but still works in the same location.
Hi Shawn, your Bronco looks great. Thank you for the link. So, you didn't even need to use a separate project box like @BroncoSarge , you just mounted the control box as is? That is nice. Did you use velcro to mount it? I couldn't tell by your pictures.

Did you need extensions for the cables? I have been talking to Rough Country and they said to use these: https://www.roughcountry.com/quick-...e-rs107.html?find=2022-ford-bronco-4wd-856075

Thanks again.

RC Winch Power Cable Extension.png

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250, Ford Expedition Max, Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi Shawn, your Bronco looks great. Thank you for the link. So, you didn't even need to use a separate project box like @BroncoSarge , you just mounted the control box as is? That is nice. Did you use velcro to mount it? I couldn't tell by your pictures.

Did you need extensions for the cables? I have been talking to Rough Country and they said to use these: https://www.roughcountry.com/quick-...e-rs107.html?find=2022-ford-bronco-4wd-856075

Thanks again.

Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount & Winch Install w/ Control Box Relocation RC Winch Power Cable Extensio
Yes I mounted the factory box to the top of the fuse box using some small bolts, washers and nuts and drilling holes through the fuse box lid. I was a little afraid of using adhesives in the engine bay with a lot of heat.

I bought some 2 ga. battery cables off amazon and crimped on my own fittings. However, I figured out afterwards that 4 ga. would have been plenty and I believe that’s what comes on the winch anyway. I did need close to 8 extra feet of cable total. Just a hot and a ground to go from the winch to the battery and control box. You can use the cables that originally went from the winch to the control box to go from the control box to the battery.

4nomads

Badlands
First Name
Mukul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Went back and forth on the subject. Should I remove the modular bumper? Should I go with factory, JCR, Rough Country? Sorry Mabett. Your timeline to manufacturing is too long. I decided price was gonna be the defining factor. How far it sticks out, approach angle and other factors weren’t that different.

Rough Country High Winch Mount:
I will say the instructions aren’t that great. I found it much easier to install the bottom half of the mount first. was having a tough time balancing the weight of the mount and winch to attach it to the bumper. Mounting the bottom half gave me room to get my hands in there as well. Then I mounted the winch to the plate. I followed up by wiring it, then mounting the top plate to the bottom half. The instructions also call for shaving down the back of the sensor they provide. This was not the case with the winch I chose. I think each winch will differ in that step.

Smittybilt Winch:
Pretty cut and dry. I just wired the longer cables before I bolted the plate down. It’s tough to work behind the RC mount, it’s pretty tight to the grill. Removed all the decals and painted the “Smittybilt” and the switch for free spool.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150VAI?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_X9K6SBMZCMGCJKQ54PAT

Control Box Relocation:
I decided to mount it to the lid of the fuse box. Was a simple install and it wasn't going to eat up space on the other side of the motor. Saving that for ARB compressor and maybe train horn. I used the Warn kit. Only needed the cables and black rubber boots.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANYN2G2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_R4PZ7CFEPPNMRR261BBV

Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount & Winch Install w/ Control Box Relocation RC Winch Power Cable Extensio

Thanks for this! I am doing a similar install with the gen3 xrc winch. If you could help with a question about the control box relocation. Did you splice the heavy gauge wires or did you take out the shorter wires from the box and bolted the longer wires? I opened the control box and I am finding it super hard to take out the wires. They are crammed in and I can hardly fit my wrench head in there. Thanks 🙏

@jms_XbarH

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I relocated the guts of the apex control box into this project box. I have it stuck to the fuse box with velcro command strips. I can access the switch and physical port on the side. It’s overhanging a little bit on purpose since I ran the cables up into the box to avoid bends at the terminals. 6’ 2 awg cable down from the box, under the car battery, towards the radiator, out to the bumper on the driver’s side, along the gap between body and bumper behind winch to passenger side of the winch. Just barely enough cable this way. I recommend batterycablesusa. Fast shipping and high quality.
Looking at mounting the Apex 12k on RC mount. Does the conteol box have to be relocated or mounted or was this a preference you had? It's usually on the winch itself right? Thanks!

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looking at mounting the Apex 12k on RC mount. Does the conteol box have to be relocated or mounted or was this a preference you had? It's usually on the winch itself right? Thanks!
Personal preference. I can’t remember for sure, but I think it’d block some BRONCO lettering. It’s large and blocks a lot of grill if not relocated. The RC mount sits higher and tighter than some other mounts. 66GT reported having airflow issues before relocating, so I just decided to do the same from the start.
Sponsored