Sponsored

Rock lights. Worth it getting installed from factory?

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hmm, I used all mine. I don't know anyone that hasn't used the switches in any Ford truck that had them.
I'm guessing your family and friends are mostly "car guys".

I grew up in a family where wheels were to get from point A to B, but married into a family where something is wrong with you if you are a licensed driver and don't personally have several vehicles. And because of the nature of my job, I am around a lot of both types.

There are a TON of people that will buy a car or truck and never even add so much as a sticker or steering wheel cover on it. They would never consider adding lights or kill switches or anything that would require auxiliary switches.

Whereas, most car guys (and gals) have already decided what is getting hooked to at least three of their six aux switches before they even drive the vehicle off the lot.

There probably aren't a lot of people on this forum who won't use all or most all of their switches, but there still are the rest of the buyers who won't.

I personally think it's awesome that Ford is offering them for a decent price on every trim level where they are not standard, and I will definitely add them if I get the Base. But I still don't think Ford needs them to be standard equipment.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do people really wheel at night?? Had a friend roll his Jeep into the punchbowl on the Rubicon one night when he was trying to drive out, good thing he had an exoskelton, made a mess of it, or are these really just for Mall crawlers to impress the girls?

IMGP1589.JPG

Last edited:

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do people really wheel at night?? Had a friend roll his Rubi into the punchbowl on the Rubicon one night when he was trying to drive out, made a mess of it, or are these really just for Mall crawlers to impress the girls?
All the time. Now I don't do any crazy rock crawling at night but we're out in the desert quite a bit. We take a couple trips up north to Sedona and there are many nice trails to catch a great sunset and do some wheeling afterwards.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All the time. Now I don't do any crazy rock crawling at night but we're out in the desert quite a bit. We take a couple trips up north to Sedona and there are many nice trails to catch a great sunset and do some wheeling afterwards.
Yep, when I lived in Texas we did spotlight hunting at night, but not to much to run into out in West Texas :). My point was pretty RGB lights don't do anything for wheeling, more for the mall or profiling in the parking lot :)

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do people really wheel at night?? Had a friend roll his Rubi into the punchbowl on the Rubicon one night when he was trying to drive out, made a mess of it, or are these really just for Mall crawlers to impress the girls?
Some of each.
Where I camp, the main Forest Service roads tend to be a giant off-road party on Friday and Saturday night. Plus, in the summer if you don't head up to the mountains it's a thousand degrees during the day, so it's way more tolerable to wait until after sunset to crawl around.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, when I lived in Texas we did spotlight hunting at night, but not to much to run into out in West Texas :). My point was pretty RGB lights don't do anything for wheeling, more for the mall or profiling in the parking lot :)
Lol....Yeah I don't want a 70's disco ball going on under my Bronco. The white ones come in handy if you're going up a step incline and can't see over the hood. They help to see your lines when looking out the window. Plus if you hit something or just need to check under your vehicle you're not laying out there with a flashlight or worse your phones flashlight.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hmm, I used all mine. I don't know anyone that hasn't used the switches in any Ford truck that had them.
I'm really trying to be creative about the switches but I'm also struggling to figure what I'd even hook em up to.
I gave a few ideas...

Can you Share what you hooked all yours up to?

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm really trying to be creative about the switches but I'm also struggling to figure what I'd even hook em up to.
I gave a few ideas...

Can you Share what you hooked all yours up to?
Light bar, bed lights, compressor and train horns.

On the Bronco I plan to add under body LED, Light bar, compressor. Not sure after that.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I want them to look cool. I don't give a crap whether I'm looking cool at the mall or the trail. I mean who on here isn't getting their Bronco because they want to look cool?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why ya get RGBW, when ya need the white or yellow for Rocks, and colors for every other time, or when you're screwing around on the trails

Again, for that price, why not get it all?

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why ya get RGBW, when ya need the white or yellow for Rocks, and colors for every other time, or when you're screwing around on the trails

Again, for that price, why not get it all?
I guess, but for me rock lights have a purpose, and white serves that just fine, flashing colors under your rig on the street or at the mall to me is just showboating, the "Hey!! Look at me" crowd, never felt that much need for attention myself, but to each their own, guess I am to old to care.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess, but for me rock lights have a purpose, and white serves that just fine, flashing colors under your rig on the street or at the mall to me is just showboating, the "Hey!! Look at me" crowd, never felt that much need for attention myself, but to each their own, guess I am to old to care.
I don't wanna flash, but I go to Car meets and would do different colors (select and done), holidays, and other misc, then go white when needed.

Again, to each his own, but I do agree with flashing, thats attention whoring

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Please do not buy the rock lights from Ford. They are highly overpriced even considering install. I would just opt in for the auxiliary switches and get the rock lights aftermarket and install them yourself. You can even get them in configurable RGB that you can change on the fly. They should be a super easy install if you watch a few YouTube videos. I've literally done 90% of my automotive work and pretty much all of it I learned to do through videos on the internet. All you got to do is buy the tools and materials and then you already have the tools if you need them for another job later so it is an investment. These guys are worth a look at for lighting:

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/store/lighting/19647/rock-light-kit-by-black-label-lighting-rgbw

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I installed my own lighting in my Raptor with the same switch setup that will appear in our Broncos. Easy enough Saturday afternoon job if you want to do it yourself. If you like the option of rock crawler lights, the Rigid units that Ford is offering are high quality units. I ran cheaper off road lights until I discovered Rigid and personally will stick with Rigid because of performance and customer service (Rigid replaced my light bar for a purely cosmetic issue after using it for 2 years). Even if you never hit the rock trails that would necessitate these lights, get them if you want them -- many scenarios where they could be helpful. Hell, even if you want to get them to show off in a mall parking lot -- get them if that makes you happy! My opinion is that they are priced decently for the quality of the hardware being installed by Ford with an additional warranty by Ford.

Kludge

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Light bar, bed lights, compressor and train horns.

On the Bronco I plan to add under body LED, Light bar, compressor. Not sure after that.
I'm not overly familiar with compressors. What's the benefit of hard wiring a compressor vs just using gator clips to the battery?
Sponsored