Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-150, 1968 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you have to have a Jeep or Trail Rated badge to drive the Rubicon. Jeep trademarked it or something.
nope, done this in my bronco with a group of broncos :)
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did the Rubicon in a Rubicon Wrangler in 2019 with Richard from Freedom Recovery Gear.

We ran from the Tahoe side into the springs in the dark. Let me tell you, that trail in a 4 dr Jeep on 33s is tough enough, that trail on 33s in the dark is a whole 'nother tough.

Those of you who have been all the way to the springs will recognize this bridge:

Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail anyone??? Rubicon-5

The rocks are big, but you can get around them with some good piloting and spotting:

Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail anyone??? Rubicon-6

Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail anyone??? Rubicon-4

We camped a few night in the springs with the crew from Marlin Crawler, they build some real cool Toyota parts and Marlin is a walking encyclopedia of Toyota info:

Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail anyone??? Rubicon-3

Even spent a night camping at Buck Lake. Just us and the rattlesnakes:

Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail anyone??? Buck-lake

Coming out in the daytime was a lot more fun than the night run in:

Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail anyone??? Rubicon-1

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
nope, done this in my bronco with a group of broncos :)
Did you have to tell them about your GC, or borrow the trail rated badge? Is there really a Rubicon troll that pops the tires of vehicles other than Jeeps?

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you have to tell them about your GC, or borrow the trail rated badge? Is there really a Rubicon troll that pops the tires of vehicles other than Jeeps?
Yes, I believe he goes by the name The Gatekeeper.

Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My first run will probably be what appears to be a pretty sedate Washington Backroad Discovery Route. Should be fun and relaxing, with nothing too challenging at all. I have no real desire to do anything to damage the Bronco.

Maybe revisit the Alvord desert and do the Steens loop.
Steens will be on my short list for sure, same with WA, OR, and ID BDR's.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
PNW BDR!

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I picked up the maps for the WABDR, and have it targeted first. Just was looking at some of the Oregon routes. Plans starting to form in this hazy brain of mine.

Anyone done the Oregon routes?

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I picked up the maps for the WABDR, and have it targeted first. Just was looking at some of the Oregon routes. Plans starting to form in this hazy brain of mine.

I have not but got a buddy that is very familiar with all the PNW BDR's. He owns his own dual sport rental and touring business out of Boise. Any specific questions...I can ping him for answers.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I did the southern half of the Oregon BDR, Route 5 if you're looking at the OOHVA.org site. I ran from the California/Oregon border, north, until I woke up to a snow storm at about 5,500' elevation. I was able to get off the mountain to a highway and got started home, just before they closed the highway due to multiple auto accidents. It was around Thanksgiving, probably five years ago now. I've driven and ridden a motorcycle over other sections, but not as a concerted effort to complete a route.

It was a lot of fun.

Sponsored

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have not but got a buddy that is very familiar with all the PNW BDR's. He owns his own dual sport rental and touring business out of Boise. Any specific questions...I can ping him for answers.
I guess if you ever talk to him, ask which ones he recommends for more scenic relaxing trip, as opposed to more challenging trail centric ones. I did look at the site, looks like the first leg maybe has a washout that is possibly impassable for normal sized vehicles.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did the southern half of the Oregon BDR, Route 5 if you're looking at the OOHVA.org site. I ran from the California/Oregon border, north, until I woke up to a snow storm at about 5,500' elevation. I was able to get off the mountain to a highway and got started home, just before they closed the highway due to multiple auto accidents. It was around Thanksgiving, probably five years ago now. I've driven and ridden a motorcycle over other sections, but not as a concerted effort to complete a route.

It was a lot of fun.
Well, sounds like quite an adventure. I will be doing my initial runs in Summer, as I prefer not to wake up to snowstorm, but instead balmy 70 deg weather!

The Oregon routes seem pretty varied, as opposed to the WABRD, which is kind of a linear looking route. Should be fun to explore them.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Oregon routes are varied. None of them are overly technical, just a couple/few days of easy/moderate forest roads. Any of the OOHVA routes are doable in a 4x4, unless there is an impassable section, but there will be a re-route. You can enjoy mtn/coastal runs, or high-desert, etc. If you decide to do one, or many, and want company along a portion of it, let me know.

Broncogoat

Badlands
First Name
lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Trac, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did all those locations (Colorado, Moab, Rubicon Trail) from Pittsburgh in my Jeep and can’t wait to recreate the trip with the Bronco. Plan it and you can make it happen, so worth it!

Awesome photo's . Where was the last one taken.

not tame

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 C8 Vette, F10 M5 BMW, F150 Shelby, F250 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love to plan a trip to Colorado with a caravan of Broncos. I have 7 locations (some already mention some not) over a 7-day trip (day and a half to get there and again to get back to Dallas) I will not go to the Rubicon, not that the Bronco could not make it, I just don't fill like tearing in up I've done it in a Jeep lifted with a 4-inch kit and 37 and even it rub in some places. I'm looking for mostly great scenery, good food (campfire food :) and good company to drink some beer with. Any one in for a coffee in the Dallas area to discuss it, PM me.
Sponsored

Reactions: Axe