Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't been there since 2004. We took 3 Subarus through a bunch of it.

group2.JPG
That’s awesome! It’s fun to take something different. Once made through with a stock crew cab f350, had to drive in reverse the last few miles after the transmission went out.
Sponsored

Wild Horses 4x4

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Snow has finally melted enough to make it to Buck Island. ( Can’t confirmed anything past that, rumor has it you can make it to Tahoe) But be aware the trail is wet and muddy. Typically busy weekend with slippery conditions causing a lot of broken vehicles, axles and drivelines mainly.

686D17A8-561E-45AD-95DC-CE18D9377A92.jpeg
E2226477-CDA3-46FF-BEF9-9ED3859AFEB2.jpeg
8D30B16C-CE86-4ACE-B562-6C8EC04A0213.jpeg
C8E85C6D-065F-4DA3-A328-8FDD7B32676B.jpeg
Rad pics! 🙌

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done it in our completely stock Sas Badlands 4dr. I did replace the stock sas tires with TOYO Mts in factory sizing. I did get one pretty decent ding in the lower passenger front door. Had the doors been off I would have probably been ok. If I was going to do one improvement to help stop body damage it would probably be sliders that offer more strength and stand out from the body a little further than the stock sliders. Had I had sliders I would not have had any damage to the door.
IMG_6795.jpg
I was thinking sliders that stick out more are important (20 degree angle?). I read about older stock vehicles that do/have done the Rubicon on much smaller tires and I keep wondering if I can do it on stock Badlands 33s. I’m not afraid of body damage. It’s already pinstriped 4 weeks into ownership!

of course I realize my skill/experience are the limiting factors. I’m hoping to meet up with some Gold Country Bronco peoples this summer/fall and gain more experience with people who know far more. And only tackle the Rubicon after growing into it.

Love your pics!

OP
OP
SS Bronco

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking sliders that stick out more are important (20 degree angle?). I read about older stock vehicles that do/have done the Rubicon on much smaller tires and I keep wondering if I can do it on stock Badlands 33s. I’m not afraid of body damage. It’s already pinstriped 4 weeks into ownership!

of course I realize my skill/experience are the limiting factors. I’m hoping to meet up with some Gold Country Bronco peoples this summer/fall and gain more experience with people who know far more. And only tackle the Rubicon after growing into it.

Love your pics!
You are right on with your thinking. It’s definitely something you need to grow into as a driver and vehicle. Try Eagle lakes trail , Dear Valley or Slick rocks. Experience helps a ton ,ground clearance on 33” is going to be a challenge.

Gold Country Broncos would be a good place to learn your vehicle and tune your skills.
Ran the trail again today with 3 other Broncos hopefully they will post some pictures.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You are right on with your thinking. It’s definitely something you need to grow into as a driver and vehicle. Try Eagle lakes trail , Dear Valley or Slick rocks. Experience helps a ton ,ground clearance on 33” is going to be a challenge.

Gold Country Broncos would be a good place to learn your vehicle and tune your skills.
Ran the trail again today with 3 other Broncos hopefully they will post some pictures.
33"s won't do it unless you got skill, like MacGyver level skill.

Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail is now passable. PXL_20230624_180924296

Sponsored
OP
OP
SS Bronco

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

33"s won't do it unless you got skill, like MacGyver level skill.

Be prepared for the random rock that gets stuck between the axle and bumper.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no ego nor glorified opinion of my skill. Just want to learn. I’d prefer to figure out the limits of me (as a driver) and the bronco on 33s before moving up.
Thx for the other trail suggestions. Will try those first. With other people!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My setup at the time was stock SAS with 35s Bfgs which are taller than the stock Goodyears. The only damage was on the cross bars under the transmission. Still straight but the lips are bent.

When I was on Rubicon I took some damage to that same area...I went with ASFIR plates to cover those after that.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I installed the ASFIR transmission skid and transfer case skid brace. Was thinking about the crossmember skids as they are a low point.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

BroncoJoerg

Badlands
First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, that's why I replaced the factory sliders on my Badlands with ZroadZ. My ding isn't that bad, I'd call it more like a scratch, but it convinced me to get something that sticks out a bit from the body.
Exactly the same for me. Just a bit of a scratch, minor ding at the lower part where the driver and passenger doors meet. I got that doing Miller Jeep Trail and that convinced me that the ZroadZ were the way to go. They have been great, BTW. Protected me very nicely on Heartbreak Ridge Trail up by Big Bear.
Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail is now passable. IMG_4962
Sponsored