Sponsored

Sasquatch has a smoother on road ride than standard Outer Banks suspension?

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'd rather have 5K more in my bank account than trying to justify a smoother ride and spending a gazillion dollars to replace the ballon tires when it comes that time.
if ya'll think 4-5k justifies a smoother ride and thats what you're willing to spend over an OBX ride GO FOR IT
the OBX has an excellent smooth ride for a lot less $$$$$$ coins.
Sponsored

mpmcgaughey

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150, 2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe this 1000%! After reaching the 50,000 mile mark on my F-150 I had my local shop install some Fox 2.0’s and it’s night and day the ride! The saying has and always will be true “You get what you pay for!” That’s why we changed from an Outer Banks to Wildtrak. You’re gonna get better shocks (that lets face it you’d be upgrading down the road anyhow), better looking wheels and a smoother ride with the wider tires...I currrently run 33x12.5’s and would never go back to anything with a smaller width...so that’s why we don’t mind the wait!

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Someone else mentioned this but yeah, SAS will absorb road imperfections much better while also having more body roll in turns. isn't that just physics?

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC (2010), '21 Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So that’s what I’m wondering. Is non-SAS BL the Goldilocks scenario? Upgraded suspension w/33s compared to standard w/32s but still not bloated 35s that could add more body lean on road.
1000% yes! It may end up being the baddest of all Broncos, especially if you plan to daily drive the rig.

Other things that led me to the Non-SAS BL were the thinner fender flares, increased wheel travel, higher stance (than all non-squatched lower trims), and all the off-road goodies.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd rather have 5K more in my bank account than trying to justify a smoother ride and spending a gazillion dollars to replace the ballon tires when it comes that time.
if ya'll think 4-5k justifies a smoother ride and thats what you're willing to spend over an OBX ride GO FOR IT
the OBX has an excellent smooth ride for a lot less $$$$$$ coins.
Basesquatch with a 2.7L is $40,770, base OBX with the 2.3L is $40,450. Not exactly $$$$$$ different, with the 2.3L the basesquatch is cheaper than OBX. Buy what makes you happy, let others do the same. Even adding Sasquatch on an OBX also buys you the better shocks, SBD, gears, lockers, wheels/tires, etc, seems like a damn good value for $4200.

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just watched a Bronco road test on the television show "Motor Week" and the tester said:

"this will surprise you but if you are looking for the most comfortable highway ride, the Sasquatch Package with its 35" tires and Bilstein shocks are the smoothest way to go. I was surprised how much more firm the stock suspension on the Outer Banks Luxury trim was on comparison"

This may change my mind on my order; if on road comfort is there, the off road capability and increased resale is bonus
Thoughts?
Noise of the tires on the Sasquatch vs standard outer banks tires?

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Basesquatch with a 2.7L is $40,770, base OBX with the 2.3L is $40,450. Not exactly $$$$$$ different, with the 2.3L the basesquatch is cheaper than OBX. Buy what makes you happy, let others do the same. Even adding Sasquatch on an OBX also buys you the better shocks, SBD, gears, lockers, wheels/tires, etc, seems like a damn good value for $4200.
you went down 4 trim levels , not apples to apples is it !!! sacrifice a lot just to justify a $4200 differences

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you went down 4 trim levels , not apples to apples is it !!! sacrifice a lot just to justify a $4200 differences
The point was to pick your budget and preference. Many would rather to have the Base Sasquatch than the OBX tech and luxury for the same or less money.

Regardless, the $4200 for the Sasquatch on OBX is cheap and I’m guessing would be mostly recovered at time of resale compared to a standard OBX. Per mile cost of ownership would end up slightly higher because of tire costs and lower fuel economy. Raptor tires were only $250 each last I checked, vs normal SUV tires at around $175, so $300 more per set, probably 2 sets to 100K miles. Assuming 3mpg difference the fuel cost to 100K is 300 gallons, so about $1000. So all in we’re talking $2000 more to own a Sasquatch in 100K miles. The total cost to own the vehicle should be around as follows.

Stock OBX
$45,000 OBX with tax and fees out the door (high package or other options more)
$6000 in fuel at 20 mpg (probably a high mpg estimate)
$4000 in maintenance (ARI fleet average for a F-150 is $.04 per mile)
$5000 insurance
-$20,000 resale (44.4%)
=$40,000 cost to own for 5 years/100K miles

OBX Sasquatch
$49,200 OBX with tax and fees out the door (high package or other options more)
$7000 in fuel at 17 mpg (probably a high mpg estimate)
$4600 in maintenance
$5000 insurance
-$21,867 resale (same 44.4%, but likely higher)
=$43,933 cost to own for 5 years/100K miles

So worst case (equal resale %) we’re talking $3933 more over 5/100K. Again, hardly $$$$$$. If $787 per year is enough to break someone they shouldn’t be buying a new vehicle in the first place.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3063

My Raptor was the best riding F-150 I’ve ever been in, so this makes sense to me. My buddy’s Lariat with 20“ wheels and rubber band tires rode terribly, the Raptor leaned more in corners but felt like it was on marshmallows.
agreed, not at all surprising to any Raptor owner

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well an OBX with 18 inch alloys And standard shocks will likely be the worst on road of all the trims. Maybe the base is worse, but the steelies would probably compensate some for the lack of air volume in the tire.

Sponsored

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone else mentioned this but yeah, SAS will absorb road imperfections much better while also having more body roll in turns. isn't that just physics?
Right. This is completely expected. I expect the non-SAS BL to be the best balance between these competing attributes. I’m betting on that with my money so hope I’m at least close to right.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, I guess that it's a good thing that I planned on ditching the OBX shocks and springs from the get go. :) Now I won't feel as bad pitching them in the bin. LOL.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My son interned for the Motorweek show and currently works at the PBS station where Motorweek is produced. A few weeks ago he spoke with the fellow who did the show testing rides and not only did he state the SAS was a smoother everyday road ride, but he said the 2.3 displayed plenty of oomph. He was impressed with both of these options.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went down this rabbit hole a few months back with some forum members. (@North7 ) It seems the best "potential" package would be to go standard Badlands with the non-sasquatch BF KO2s. Then down the road replace those with something with a Load C or Load SL for the softer sidewalls. These load ratings are much more widely available in the size 33 tires than the 35 inch size.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't get the sway bar disconnect by adding the Squatch. It's only available on the Badlands and the fancy Badlands aka the First Edition.
Sponsored