Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 335i BMW, 2014 Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A few weeks ago I noticed my DTE going down quickly. I had about 80 miles DTE and within 10 minutes and 2 miles of driving the low fuel light came on. I stopped to fill up. While it should've been about 13-14 gallons at that level, only 10gal were needed to fill up. When I turned the vehicle back on the fuel gauge stayed below 1/4 tank and kept going down to near nothing and 4mi DTE. I took it out for another drive around the block and on a small trail off road and the needle started to come up.

Added a bottle of techron in case there was something dirty in the tank.

Got through that tank of gas and the same thing happened again after filling up when around 1/4 tank. Added another bottle of techron and back over some bumps and it started working again.

Then drove 2500 miles from Texas to Colorado and back, then another 500 miles in Texas. I haven't let it get below 1/4 tank until Monday when I'd just hit 1/4 tank and on fill up the same thing happened.

Brought to dealership yesterday and they've diagnosed it again today as a bad fuel pump.

Backordered part with no ETA 🤬🤬🤬

++ @Ford Motor Company

2021 Big Bend 2.7L 2dr
First fuel pump failed at 11k miles
Run premium fuel only and generally from Exxon or Shell since first replacement
Now at 25k miles.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like how you included all the "disclaimer" information ... never ran it past a 1/4, only Top Tier fuel , etc etc etc .... thanks to all the armchair mechanics who will find a way to blame it on you.
Don't wax that hard top either !!! LOL

25000 miles, it shouldn't go through two fuel pumps if you ran crap fuel from Mexico in it.

I got hung up on the Top Tier hoopla for a short while, but it also made me realize that every other car I've had has gone 150k+ on just regular regular fuel. No fuel issues, no carbon issues, no injector issue, no spark knock issues, no major loss of fuel mileage as they aged, etc etc etc.

Sorry about your luck.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure the grade of gas matters when it comes to these things and in the future, when you notice a potential issue, do not drive it on trails or too far at all.

You got lucky this time in several ways. Sad to hear this is your second fuel pump failure; it’s obviously a bad part and I hope Ford has replaced this part during manufacturing and glad they’ll fix it for free for you.

If you can source an aftermarket replacement, think you should do that if you plan to keep the Bronco long term.

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks @HoosierDaddy

I'm with you... In the probably 500k miles I'd driven in previous vehicles I owned, I always ran regular unleaded from just about anywhere. BUT... The one benefit I did see with the premium gas over the last 14k miles was better MPG. I picked up between 2 and 3 MPG running the higher octane.

I agree @MadMan4BamaNATL

I was lucky. Since the first time it didn't fill up, I zeroed the trip odometer to keep an eye on the miles I got per tank so I wouldn't run out of gas. Admittedly, that wouldn't have helped if the pump burned out completely like before.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe someone higher up the food chain can answer this better but ................

My 08 F-150 has a fuel pump driver module on the rear crossmember that is common to fail and gets rusted fast to the crossmember so it is a pain in arse to change. I don't know if the Bronc has one, or where it is, but could it be that this is malfunctioning and cause the fuel pump failure?????

One would think the Ford techs would check this but I know how most of those "techs" are. Not ALL but MOST.

Last edited:

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What is the reasoning for putting the Techron in a new vehicle?
‘someone please educate me. I’ve always believed that there is no such thing as a miracle in bottle

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is the reasoning for putting the Techron in a new vehicle?
‘someone please educate me. I’ve always believed that there is no such thing as a miracle in bottle
In my head it was for a detergent. If for some reason the sensor or float was dirty or hanging up because of some dirty fuel. It was a long shot but I was giving it a try. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe someone higher up the food chain can answer this better but ................

My 08 F-150 has a fuel pump driver module on the rear crossmember that is common to fail and gets rusted fast to the crossmember so it is a pain in arse to change. I don't know if the Bronc has one, or where it is, but could it be that this is malfunctioning and cause the fuel pump failure?????

One would think the Ford techs would check this but I know how most of those "techs" are. Not ALL but MOST.
They do have a similar module, but unlike the old F150 style, they don't have any common issues and are made differently now.

Also this failure sounds like a sending unit issue, which the fpdm has no control over. It only controls power to the pump motor.

A few weeks ago I noticed my DTE going down quickly. I had about 80 miles DTE and within 10 minutes and 2 miles of driving the low fuel light came on. I stopped to fill up. While it should've been about 13-14 gallons at that level, only 10gal were needed to fill up. When I turned the vehicle back on the fuel gauge stayed below 1/4 tank and kept going down to near nothing and 4mi DTE. I took it out for another drive around the block and on a small trail off road and the needle started to come up.

Added a bottle of techron in case there was something dirty in the tank.

Got through that tank of gas and the same thing happened again after filling up when around 1/4 tank. Added another bottle of techron and back over some bumps and it started working again.

Then drove 2500 miles from Texas to Colorado and back, then another 500 miles in Texas. I haven't let it get below 1/4 tank until Monday when I'd just hit 1/4 tank and on fill up the same thing happened.

Brought to dealership yesterday and they've diagnosed it again today as a bad fuel pump.

Backordered part with no ETA 🤬🤬🤬

++ @Ford Motor Company

2021 Big Bend 2.7L 2dr
First fuel pump failed at 11k miles
Run premium fuel only and generally from Exxon or Shell since first replacement
Now at 25k miles.
ETA off backorder is 9/14/23. But it also shows that the supplier is suppose to ship 44 of them on 8/14, so maybe you'll get lucky and get it relatively soon.
Also the fuel pump for both 2 door and 4 door have recently been updated, so hopefully they've fixed whatever issues they're having with them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

ETA off backorder is 9/14/23. But it also shows that the supplier is suppose to ship 44 of them on 8/14, so maybe you'll get lucky and get it relatively soon.
Also the fuel pump for both 2 door and 4 door have recently been updated, so hopefully they've fixed whatever issues they're having with them.
I sure hope I'm not waiting till mid-September for the replacement. Over 1 month of it sitting waiting for a dang part will be brutal.

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They do have a similar module, but unlike the old F150 style, they don't have any common issues and are made differently now.

Also this failure sounds like a sending unit issue, which the fpdm has no control over. It only controls power to the pump motor.

Hey Ducati1098-

First off, you are a wealth of information and extremely helpful. Thanks for being an incredible contributor to this forum!

Secondly- do you have any information as to when (roughly) the fuel pump was updated or if there is a separate updated parts number that has been issued? Just curious if there's anyway for anyone to tell if they have an updated unit or not.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hey Ducati1098-

First off, you are a wealth of information and extremely helpful. Thanks for being an incredible contributor to this forum!

Secondly- do you have any information as to when (roughly) the fuel pump was updated or if there is a separate updated parts number that has been issued? Just curious if there's anyway for anyone to tell if they have an updated unit or not.
Unfortunately they don’t list a date of when the part was updated/replaced (at least not anywhere I can see) I’ll ask my parts dept tomorrow and see if they have any idea how to get that information.

2 door new part number is MB3Z-9H307-Q
4 door new part number is MB3Z-9H307-R

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

LoL... Technically, this will end up being pump #3. ;)

Controller and Sender were replaced previously but not a bad plan to look at other parts in chain.

Ford Bronco Second Fuel Pump Failure 1691702281410
Sponsored