Sponsored

Engine stopped dead deep on a trail (Fuel Pump Failure)

OP
OP

Revserved7.14.20_1000

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4, Audi Q7, Gt500, Ducati
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once I got to a better lighted area, I crawled under the bronco to check out the situation mechanically, as far as if it is possible to drop the tank mid trail and swap a pump, it definitely is. Basically its just the bash plates and a cradle that holds it up. Luckily there is also enough ground clearance that the tank will probably slide right out without needing to jack up the vehicle. The problem is verifying that is the problem in the first place.
Sponsored

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We abandoned the bronco in the mountains for the night. I had 7/8 of a tank of fuel, and the vehicle is bone dry. We checked all of the fuses and the air filter during multiple attempts to start it. I disengaged all accessories that I could (ac/radio), turned off auto stop and the sensors. None of this got the vehicle to start. The trail I was on is a little rough but nothing crazy, as Iā€™m still getting my feet wet. I havenā€™t had a single scrape yet, and I checked all exposed wires/lines.

The only thing I didnā€™t have was time. Kids were hungry (had a cooler with water and snacks), and we were about 5/6 miles up a trailhead, and it was getting dark. We were in the wasatch mountains at somewhere near 10k elevation. Moose were my primary concern, with a mountain lion/bears being second. The trailhead is about an hour drive from pavement up 7-8 miles of dirt roads.

The Good: There were campers nearby, who were able to drive us to a more accessible location. From there we hiked about a mile, to where a relative was able to pick us up (surprisingly)(Chevy equinox).
We got home safe at 2330.

Participants in the fun were Myself (30 YO army vet), my fiancƩ (34 YO USMC vet), our 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son, and my 55 YO father in-law who had two knee replacements this past year.
First off, sounds like your day went from great to sh!t real quick. How did an Army guy marry a Marine? I thought I was strange when I married an Air Force girl.

All joking aside, I am sorry that you had a crappy day. I hope that this gets resolved sooner rather then later.šŸ˜€

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Once I got to a better lighted area, I crawled under the bronco to check out the situation mechanically, as far as if it is possible to drop the tank mid trail and swap a pump, it definitely is. Basically its just the bash plates and a cradle that holds it up. Luckily there is also enough ground clearance that the tank will probably slide right out without needing to jack up the vehicle. The problem is verifying that is the problem in the first place.
Do you think an access hatch could be cut in the floor to prevent dropping the tank?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My engine stopped running about 5-6 miles down a trail. I crawled down a hill, turned at the bottom and I felt it sputtering, so I shut my ac off to remove that load and it shut off. Tried restarting and it wonā€™t start. Turns over but never actually starts. I donā€™t really know what to do now. I did all of the basic troubleshooting, fuses, let it cool down, and still get the same result. It has a full tank, nothing physically happened to it, it literally just sputtered and died.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? Iā€™d like to look into this concern on my end.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had 7/8 of a tank of fuel...
It's not impossible to do on the trail side, but it will be difficult due to the size, weight, location of connectors, and length of wiring. The removal and installation procedure in the Workshop Manual prints out to 10 full pages.

See the following post by @VoltageDrop, who is familiar with the tank removal process on a 4-door Bronco...

The tank is 4+ feet long and the skid plate alone is 50+ pounds so with 3/4 tank of fuel that is a tricky thing to do when not on level concrete. Also, the wiring and fuel lines aren't long enough to just let it drop to the ground so you have to partially drop it in a somewhat controlled manner.
I have also dropped the gas tank on my 4-door, using two ratchet straps to remove the factory skid plate and install aftermarket skids, and I can attest to how heavy the entire tank/skid assembly is, especially when the tank is full of fuel. For example, the 4-door gas tank holds 20.8 gallons, and the fuel alone weighs 6 lbs/gallon, so 125 lbs of fuel at 100% full.

Estimated weight of the entire tank/skid assembly, assuming 7/8th full of fuel, would be...

Factory skid plate: ~50 lbs.
Gas tank (zero fuel), with fuel pump assembly inside: ~20 lbs?
Fuel (7/8th full): ~109 lbs
-----------------------------
Tank/skid assembly, 7/8th full: ~179 lbs

Last edited:

Sponsored

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone done a complete "autopsy" on this matter? Is it usually just the pump or are the other associated electronic components involved. I read that if the "brain box" thinks the vehicle has been in a crash (i.e., rolled over), it automatically disables the fuel pump as a safety matter. Maybe there should be switch that desensitizes the sensors when you're on the tail. When the dealer replaces the fuel pump can they get the old pump to function "on the bench" or is it just trashed?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone done a complete "autopsy" on this matter? Is it usually just the pump or are the other associated electronic components involved. I read that if the "brain box" thinks the vehicle has been in a crash (i.e., rolled over), it automatically disables the fuel pump as a safety matter. Maybe there should be switch that desensitizes the sensors when you're on the tail. When the dealer replaces the fuel pump can they get the old pump to function "on the bench" or is it just trashed?
I documented as much as I could about my repairs in the following post...

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...e-back-in-the-saddle-again.45800/post-1453913

OP
OP

Revserved7.14.20_1000

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think an access hatch could be cut in the floor to prevent dropping the tank?
Maybe, I would have to look at the assembly drawings to see what else is in that area. Definitely a good idea, as long as seals are there. Getting the interior trim out of the way could be a pain though because I think its right under the front of the rear floor area of a 4 door.

OP
OP

Revserved7.14.20_1000

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm never going to rock crawl Moab, or try to drive out of Micky's Hot Tub (whatever that's called). I live in the mid Atlantic, so most of my off road is fire roads and some light trails. I'm not really a vehicle club guy, so getting into a 4x4 Bronco Wheelin' group will probably not happen for me. Running fire roads is not super technical where one needs a spotter.

But shit, if the fuel pump goes out 6 miles into a fire road? With no cell service and I have to walk out? Nah.

There's been too many fuel pump failures IMO.
Yeah, honestly where I was at wasnt crazy, any stock ORV could get there, and thats pretty much the point. I got really really unlucky. Just like @Razorbak86.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen a black 2 door here in Draper periodically. There's a couple of us with cactus grey 4 doors in my neighborhood, @UtahBrandon is a few blocks away from me. Nice lady with a 4 door white Outer Banks in town with a couple of sweet doggos, I see her pretty regularly, a couple of First Editions I see roaming around, as well.

Having the fuel pump go bad on a trail is definitely ungood. Glad to hear they got you hauled out and you're getting it fixed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Revserved7.14.20_1000

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haha
First off, sounds like your day went from great to sh!t real quick. How did an Army guy marry a Marine? I thought I was strange when I married an Air Force girl.

All joking aside, I am sorry that you had a crappy day. I hope that this gets resolved sooner rather then later.šŸ˜€
haha We met in college, through a mutual friend, and weā€™re both in the student veterans of America (SVA). What about Air Force girls is strange they are what any green aspires to hahahahaah
Yeah hopefully this gets resolved it was a full drain on the weekend for sure.

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Haha

haha We met in college, through a mutual friend, and weā€™re both in the student veterans of America (SVA). What about Air Force girls is strange they are what any green aspires to hahahahaah
Yeah hopefully this gets resolved it was a full drain on the weekend for sure.
Plus it always ruins bragging rights! I take it things went down like this, "He Dad, come on out with us and the new Bronco this weekend off road. Its tons of fun and we drive the whole thing so you won't even have to walk on your bad knees. I promise that you will have a blast and being that its new, we should have no issues at all."

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just read that. Thanks.

I have a 2006 400,000+ mile BMW on its original fuel pump; a Bosch, I suppose. It too has a lifetime filter. It's pumped over 15,400 gallons of fuel these past 16 years. And BMW is smart enough to have an access panel under the rear seat to aid replacement. When my old E30 BMW fuel pump died, it took me all of 40 minutes to replace it.

I wonder who supplies the Bronco pump.
Don't give BMW too much credit. My 2013 BMW motorcycle had two failed fuel pumps within two years (just out of warranty) - let it sit for any period of time and even though the gas is still fine, the pump seizes. You have to take all of the "tank" (the panels that look like the tank but aren't) off to access the opening in the tank for the pump. A real PITA.

I finally replaced it myself with a non-Bosch pump and it's been fine ever since.

Everything has gotten complicated the newer things are, and nothing is made to be user-serviceable in any reasonable way, especially since in this case, the controller might be the issue (or an additional one). Coincidentally my '78 is better - gravity feed. Hasn't broken yet. ;)

OP
OP

Revserved7.14.20_1000

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen a black 2 door here in Draper periodically. There's a couple of us with cactus grey 4 doors in my neighborhood, @UtahBrandon is a few blocks away from me. Nice lady with a 4 door white Outer Banks in town with a couple of sweet doggos, I see her pretty regularly, a couple of First Editions I see roaming around, as well.

Having the fuel pump go bad on a trail is definitely ungood. Glad to hear they got you hauled out and you're getting it fixed.
Where are you all located? I am out on the syracuse/west point border. The owner of Ed Kenley fords wife has a cactus grey 4 door I see daily, I also see a cyber orange 4 door soft top at my kids school, saw a white badlands 4 door hardtop at target in layton last week, an area 51 badlands hardtop Ive seen in layton a couple times. None do I know where they live, but I see broncos daily at this point. Your build is almost identical to mine, only you got yours way before me (darn hardtop) I took delivery in February.

OP
OP

Revserved7.14.20_1000

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just read that. Thanks.

I have a 2006 400,000+ mile BMW on its original fuel pump; a Bosch, I suppose. It too has a lifetime filter. It's pumped over 15,400 gallons of fuel these past 16 years. And BMW is smart enough to have an access panel under the rear seat to aid replacement. When my old E30 BMW fuel pump died, it took me all of 40 minutes to replace it.

I wonder who supplies the Bronco pump.
My S4 is the same way, pop out the back seat, take off the cover and its right there. Not sure who the supplier is but I know continental and bosch supply most cars.
Sponsored