Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 335i BMW, 2014 Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Finally. Picked Lil Sebastian up on Friday afternoon and it's back in the stable.

Ford Bronco Second Fuel Pump Failure PXL_20230923_211439544
Sponsored

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A few weeks ago I noticed my DTE going down quickly. I had about 80 miles DTE and within 10 minutes and 2 miles of driving the low fuel light came on. I stopped to fill up. While it should've been about 13-14 gallons at that level, only 10gal were needed to fill up. When I turned the vehicle back on the fuel gauge stayed below 1/4 tank and kept going down to near nothing and 4mi DTE. I took it out for another drive around the block and on a small trail off road and the needle started to come up.

Added a bottle of techron in case there was something dirty in the tank.

Got through that tank of gas and the same thing happened again after filling up when around 1/4 tank. Added another bottle of techron and back over some bumps and it started working again.

Then drove 2500 miles from Texas to Colorado and back, then another 500 miles in Texas. I haven't let it get below 1/4 tank until Monday when I'd just hit 1/4 tank and on fill up the same thing happened.

Brought to dealership yesterday and they've diagnosed it again today as a bad fuel pump.

Backordered part with no ETA 🤬🤬🤬

++ @Ford Motor Company

2021 Big Bend 2.7L 2dr
First fuel pump failed at 11k miles
Run premium fuel only and generally from Exxon or Shell since first replacement
Now at 25k miles.
Yuck! I had my '21 2 door MT 2.3 fuel pump replaced back in May at 19k miles. It took over a month. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Trying to get the part was a shit show.

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sad to report that it is back in the shop. First fill-up after the new fuel pump and only 10.6 gallons were needed when the gauge said I was around 1/8 tank. The gauge only went back to 3/4 full.

Drove home, then about an hour later I hopped in for a quick ride and it started sputtering and the exhaust smelled strange. Got it back to the gas station to confirm the tank was full and was only able to stuff ~1 gallon in (still reporting only 3/4 tank). Went to leave and it hesitated to start but eventually did. Got back home and called roadside assistance for a tow back to the shop. The tech was looking at it yesterday but no word yet...

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Geez Louise, that sucks. Hope they get it figured out soon.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I also have a bad fuel sender. I'll likely border and replace myself because I have no faith in Fords techs. mine reads zero fuel no matter what level is. and check engine light with code that reads "fuel sender out of range"

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sad to report that it is back in the shop. First fill-up after the new fuel pump and only 10.6 gallons were needed when the gauge said I was around 1/8 tank. The gauge only went back to 3/4 full.

Drove home, then about an hour later I hopped in for a quick ride and it started sputtering and the exhaust smelled strange. Got it back to the gas station to confirm the tank was full and was only able to stuff ~1 gallon in (still reporting only 3/4 tank). Went to leave and it hesitated to start but eventually did. Got back home and called roadside assistance for a tow back to the shop. The tech was looking at it yesterday but no word yet...
The fact that it’s sputtering and hesitating makes me think there may be an issue with the Evap system which could also cause the pump to shut off early.

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The fact that it’s sputtering and hesitating makes me think there may be an issue with the Evap system which could also cause the pump to shut off early.
That's interesting... Would/Could that also impact to the fuel level sensor in the pump?

I was wondering if there may be some sort of updated firmware that is needed to play well with the new version of the pump.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's interesting... Would/Could that also impact to the fuel level sensor in the pump?

I was wondering if there may be some sort of updated firmware that is needed to play well with the new version of the pump.
No i’m saying it may not have anything to do with the fuel pump or sending unit at all.

I meant the pump at the gas station shutting off early not allowing you to actually fill the tank.
A build up of pressure in the Evap system can cause this and can also cause the other symptoms you have.
So it could make it seem like it’s full, but in reality it didn’t fill the tank. Causing you to think there’s an issue with the fuel level sensor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I meant the pump at the gas station shutting off early not allowing you to actually fill the tank.
A build up of pressure in the Evap system can cause this and can also cause the other symptoms you have.
So it could make it seem like it’s full, but in reality it didn’t fill the tank. Causing you to think there’s an issue with the fuel level sensor.
(y)I'm tracking now.

A 10 gallon fill up seems like it would be close to 3/4 of a tank. And was exactly why I went back to the gas station a couple of hours later... to make sure I filled.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

(y)I'm tracking now.

A 10 gallon fill up seems like it would be close to 3/4 of a tank. And was exactly why I went back to the gas station a couple of hours later... to make sure I filled.
Yeah it could definitely be 100% full and just an issue with the sender alone. I’m just throwing out ideas based on the other symptoms. But either way, hopefully they get it figured out for you!

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Diagnosis as of today is faulty MAP and Boost Pressure sensors. Not sure how these are related to the fuel pump and refueling.

Parts should be in tomorrow and installed by EoW.

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well those two sensors were not the problem.

Yet another sensor was ordered and waiting for it to be delivered and installed.

@Ford Motor Company are you tracking this??? The service techs cannot determine the problem. Are there procedures in place for troubleshooting?

OP
OP
bgautrea

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Ducati1098 You were on track with the Evap. Picked up my Bronco earlier and finally got the report.

Ford Bronco Second Fuel Pump Failure 1697044182660
Sponsored