William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Would driving a base Mustang 2.3 with manual be a good sample of expected feel of clutch and shifter or think set up very differently vs what will be in Bronco?
They're both from Getrag, the Mustang is the MT82 six-speed and the Bronco will be the MT88 6+C and is not supposed to based on the one from the Mustang. Also I think the new Mustang is already putting out 310 hp on their version of the ecoboost plus it's a 1000 pounds lighter, has a higher center of gravity, etc. Best comparison would probably be the Ranger 2.3 with the 10 speed for handling and overall feel but what's a visit to a Ford dealer without testing a Mustang! Might have to look ahead for one with a manual though.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In a modern auto, you can select any gear you want to be in. Put it in sport mode and just select the gear.

I don't disagree that the manual is more fun in any scenario, but I don't see how you can deny that modern autos with all the traction aids are better off road than a stick and clutch.
I'm not saying either cant do the job either. Having the stick just makes for different techniques...often w/suprisingly good results. It helps build confidence, and feels more rewarding to have more control, and make decisions to overcome trail obstacles. This is a hobby for most of us, and I see the MT as a tool that opens up more advanced techniques and adds challenge. Certainly not for everyone, but if you think you are up to it I think it will be a better experience!

ericmario

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Time to give it up

I've been manual my whole life but it's just silly to keep it up at this point

Manuals used to be faster, more efficient, cheaper
Not really the case anymore

I'm not doing extra work shifting in order to have a slower and less efficient car. At this point buying the manual is just being a grumpy old person who complains about the music kids listen to these days
I hear you, but I think most, if not everybody who still prefers driving manual (like myself) does so for the pure joy of rowing your own gears, and not because it's faster/efficient/cheaper. Nothing wrong with you feeling that it's "extra work", because that's your preference. =)

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In addition to the towing, hooking and unhooking a trailer issues with a manual (I didn't even talk about trying to back a trailer into an uphill slightly off angle campsite after dark on gravel and accidently throwing rocks everywhere.. sorry neighbors!o_O let me just put it in 4x4 here..) Ford made the decision for me by not offering the 2.7 MT.

I know there will be regrets either way. But not knowing how fun the 2.3/MT combo will be in the Bronco, and knowing I like the power and dual injection of the 2.7, plus the ease in towing and stop and go, I calculated I'll miss not getting the 2.7 10 times for every 1 time I would miss not getting the 2.3 MT. Easy math.

Now if we find out the 2.3 MT combo is awesome and slick shifting.. that might go up to 10:3.

If Ford comes out with a slick shifting MT for the 2.7 then my wife will wake up and find her car gone and my 2.7 10AT 2-door parked in her spot and a shiny new 2.7 MT 2-door in mine.

Sponsored

BernR6

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda CX-5, 2018 Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've been so torn about this manual dilemma, mainly because I prefer the look and usefulness of the 4 door over the 2 door. A base 4 door manual is what I wished Ford would offer....I can't afford BB or higher just to get stick. I've been with my wife 21 years now and at least 1 of our 2 cars has always been stick. I take a certain amount of pride in being able to drive one daily. Also, because of my career choice, I haven't had the income or be able to justify purchasing cars with more power (i.e. V6/V8) so I'm not bothered if I don't get the 2.7. I won't feel that the 2.3 manual is too slow, since I've been driving slow cars, fast, my whole life. The question comes back to, if I don't get a manual, when will I again? We're planning on keeping our CX-5 as the family hauler. Whichever Bronco we get will be kept for many years. Can I go that long driving an auto? lol

RDS12

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stopped caring about manual transmissions by the time I turned 30.

DHC

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have my 997 Carrera for rowing gears.

The Bronco will have the 10-speed auto. Will be better to face Atlanta traffic without having to deal w/ a manual.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My daily for a while (Before Covid) was a Tesla with no transmission at all. Now I just drive my truck most of the time. I miss having a manual for routine driving. I do wish the 2.7 was offered with a manual, but in a vehicle like the Bronco, a manual is much more important to me. I’ll be fine with the 2.3. I fully expect the “raptor” version to be auto only as well. I think many of the discussions miss the point for those of us that just love to drive. The new Corvette is incredibly fast and is a fantastic value, but I have zero desire to own one. I don’t care if the auto shifts faster and blips the throttle for you. That’s not why I drive a sports car. I drive one for fun, and to me that means three pedals. I’m really just grateful Ford is giving us a manual at all.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Aside from preference or doing serious crawling, I don't know why anyone would 'want' a manual in 2020. ( I've had at least 7 manual vehicles)
Aside from preference and wanting to do as little as possible while driving, I don’t know why anyone would ‘want’ an auto in 2020.

All it is and ever has been is preference and driving style.

Sponsored

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Manuals are super easy to drive these days. I have all manual cars, I have lived in heavy traffic, never once thought "I wish I had an automatic" if you are a manual person you get it. Some are, some are not, I personally find automatics very boring and plan to own a manual as long as they offer them, but to each their own......

FWIW - If you are a manual person and you think you might want one, get it and you will not regret. Just my $.02

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You either have to have a manual or you don’t. Those who are ambivalent about it will most likely order the auto, which makes sense. I would not even be considering the Bronco if manual wasn’t an option.
I'm in the exact same boat. There are plenty of other vehicles that look good but I could care less about since they are all autos. I wouldn't even be interested if it wasn't for the manual. The chance to get a body on frame vehicle (that isn't a pickup) with a manual is the only thing attracting me to it.

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For
Have my 997 Carrera for rowing gears.

The Bronco will have the 10-speed auto. Will be better to face Atlanta traffic without having to deal w/ a manual.
same here, one thing if you're talking about a weekend manual car, it's another animal when you live in a big city with bumper to bumper traffic all day. As a matter of fact, let's not charge for automatics and charge for manuals ? You want the manuals then you're going to pay for it ?

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For

same here, one thing if you're talking about a weekend manual car, it's another animal when you live in a big city with bumper to bumper traffic all day. As a matter of fact, let's not charge for automatics and charge for manuals ? You want the manuals then you're going to pay for it ?
But by your own admission manual owners are already paying for it by driving in traffic. Plus isn it convenience you pay more for on anything so that’d be what you autos are really paying for. Though I would pay more for a manual in most vehicles if I had to.

For me, weekend or traffic same animal, I’ll take the manual. And I drive 80mile round trip to work in Atlanta, so not just an arbitrary comment about traffic.
Sponsored