Sponsored

Since the Badlands is so heavy, would it be smart to get a tune?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you post a link to this or is this just gossip? I only ask because I currently have and previously had twin turbo BMW six cylinder engines and they had no problems. My previous one went to 100,000 miles before I sold it. On my M4 they are recommended having the plugs changed at 75K or less but that is preventative maintenance on a performance car.

I am hoping this Ford twin turbo gives similar reliability while being tuneable (Note I tuned both of my BMW engines as well with no issues). That's why I am following this thread. For the BMWs, I always added aftermarket tunes so my real decision now is to go with Ford's Tune or aftermarket. I think aftermarket is better bang for your buck but I am still trying to figure out the reliability aspect of Ford's engine before going with either.
Hey Bimmer!

Those comments are common for all but actual BMW owners who buy new. My wife's first X3 was the i4 N20 and did have issues, as the engine failed and lost compression at 45K miles. This is full disclosure. However, that was the first run of the engine in 2012 (2013 MY) and although out of warranty, BMW replaced at no cost, then we sold it to Carmax and bought her current M40i X3.

Like I said, 7 Bimmers and that was the only issue. the HP water pump was actually the most frequent concern in the E90, where mine was replaced during the recall before it failed and I tracked that car at least monthly with a tune and several M/// upgrades.

Back to our future Fords, tuning these will require more work, as our BMWs are already overbuilt, not even starting on your M4. Meaning, BMWs can take a tune without further upgrades to the fuel, water, air, coolant systems since they already are performance built. I did that on the two I tracked anyway, but mostly because mods are fun.

Bronco likely doesn't have the high performance gear to safely run a tune for high output. So, as long as you knowingly either take it easy, or upgrade flow components, think longevity won't be negatively impacted. Most of this post is info for other readers as well.
Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks man and that's one hell of a break in, so I have noted what you wrote here and be careful with revs that first year. I don't even know if Ford ships these new vehicles with synthetic oil or not? If not, I will be switching to synthetic once I research which oil works best in Ford engines.

BTW, when I said 89 octane, made a mistake. I meant 87 octane. Been a while since I could run regular gas, and look forward to going back to it! :)
Good point about Synthetic Oil. That's all I have been running for years now so will make sure I follow that same path with the Bronco. I think the higher cost over standard oil is worth it for the additional protection and less trips to have it changed.

By the time I get my Bronco (7/20 reservation) there will be some good info to follow!

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like I said, 7 Bimmers and that was the only issue. the HP water pump was actually the most frequent concern in the E90, where mine was replaced during the recall before it failed and I tracked that car at least monthly with a tune and several M/// upgrades.

Hey, we have a lot in common then. My previous BMW was a 2007 335 (E92) which I also tracked a couple of times as well as some organized mtn. runs (Tail of the Dragon, which you have probably heard of since your down in ATL). Anyway, that 335 is what sold me on BMW, hence my upgrade to the M4. BTW, I am keeping the M4 and trading in our Jeep GC for the Bronco...).

Anyway, yes the one issue I did have on that E92 was the fuel pump, which they replaced under warranty. Toward the end of owning it I did have to replace one ignition coil. But that was at nearly 100K miles. In contrast my M4 is at 60K miles and has been flawless. It's actually been the most trouble free car I have owned which isn't bad for a 6 year old car.

Any guys dissing BMWs are just based on bad info or maybe something else.... They are a fun car to drive and I can see why drivers get bad raps. They make you want to drive with a more spirited edge and confidence ;) But I always use my turn signal!

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's not true, has nothing to do with the quality of the engineering even if it were, and I guess that's why they sell a ton.

Your feelings on BMW one way or the other mean nothing to me. I don't own any stock in the company and am about to move from BMW to a Ford, so there you have my opinion overall.

The point of the discussion and my point, was referencing what I've driven, besides my old Disco, and how even a renowned engine manufacturer can't achieve the marketed numbers for efficiency. Not even Merc engines achieve the posted efficiency under real world driving.

Trying to establish an engine manufacturing argument between that of a BMW vs. Ford is laughable outside of motorsports and we're discussing street cars.
Why are you so mad?

There's a reason used 335s are cheaper than dirt. They're like rx8s, amazing cars but worthless due to the engine liability.

edit - specifically n54 cars

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, we have a lot in common then. My previous BMW was a 2007 335 (E92) which I also tracked a couple of times as well as some organized mtn. runs (Tail of the Dragon, which you have probably heard of since your down in ATL). Anyway, that 335 is what sold me on BMW, hence my upgrade to the M4. BTW, I am keeping the M4 and trading in our Jeep GC for the Bronco...).

Anyway, yes the one issue I did have on that E92 was the fuel pump, which they replaced under warranty. Toward the end of owning it I did have to replace one ignition coil. But that was at nearly 100K miles. In contrast my M4 is at 60K miles and has been flawless. It's actually been the most trouble free car I have owned which isn't bad for a 6 year old car.

Any guys dissing BMWs are just based on bad info or maybe something else.... They are a fun car to drive and I can see why drivers get bad raps. They make you want to drive with a more spirited edge and confidence ;) But I always use my turn signal!
Ha ha! I signal as well. Don't want to surprise some poor soul in an SUV with 3 kids in tow.

I've driven the Dragon countless times, only once almost lost it in a corner. Blue Ridge Parkway is one if the best drives I ever do and can't wait to with the top off of the Bronco. I camp up near Highlands and Ashville on occasion, Tenn, and North GA. starting to get into kayaking also.

I had an E92 335i also after a wreck in the E90 330i. Tracked that coupe all the time; it was also modded. I haven't done any mods on this 440i and only have done one track day back when it was newer. Think I'm tired of buying Michelin Sport Cups for now. :)

My true love is the outdoors and camping, so making the full life switch and convertible driving a go with the Bronco.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why are you so mad?

There's a reason used 335s are cheaper than dirt. They're like rx8s, amazing cars but worthless due to the engine liability.

edit - specifically n54 cars
Not mad at all man, you're entitled to an opinion with no point of reference; it's the American way.

BMWs tank used, because any owner will tell you a used Bimmer is fools gold for fools. All of mine were either purchased or leased new. Luxury car maintenance is crazy and BMW offers no cost maintenance for the first 4 years. All I've ever paid for was gas, tires, and mods.

But hey, what do we know?......

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha ha! I signal as well. Don't want to surprise some poor soul in an SUV with 3 kids in tow.

I've driven the Dragon countless times, only once almost lost it in a corner. Blue Ridge Parkway is one if the best drives I ever do and can't wait to with the top off of the Bronco. I camp up near Highlands and Ashville on occasion, Tenn, and North GA. starting to get into kayaking also.

I had an E92 335i also after a wreck in the E90 330i. Tracked that coupe all the time; it was also modded. I haven't done any mods on this 440i and only have done one track day back when it was newer. Think I'm tired of buying Michelin Sport Cups for now. :)

My true love is the outdoors and camping, so making the full life switch and convertible driving a go with the Bronco.
Well we have even more in common then as I have been to many of those same places. I am hoping some regional Bronco clubs will pop up (which I am pretty sure will). Who knows, maybe we will meet at one these places on day. After I get my Bronco I definitely plan to stay active on this forum just to figure out all the Mods I want to get :)

BTW, I saw your other response. I agree, a new BMW with the long warranty and full coverage for just about everything, including oil changes, ends up meaning we spend very little on our cars thru warranty. I think tires was my only expense. I would also agree not to buy a used 335 at 100K+ miles as I knew that is when certain things would need replacing, even if just for preventative maintenance. But most people that have never owned that don't get that. A BMW thru the first 100K miles is actually very cheap to own if you can afford payments. So not sure why all the hate...

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well we have even more in common then as I have been to many of those same places. I am hoping some regional Bronco clubs will pop up (which I am pretty sure will). Who knows, maybe we will meet at one these places on day. After I get my Bronco I definitely plan to stay active on this forum just to figure out all the Mods I want to get :)

BTW, I saw your other response. I agree, a new BMW with the long warranty and full coverage for just about everything, including oil changes, ends up meaning we spend very little on our cars thru warranty. I think tires was my only expense. I would also agree not to buy a used 335 at 100K+ miles as I knew that is when certain things would need replacing, even if just for preventative maintenance. But most people that have never owned that don't get that. A BMW thru the first 100K miles is actually very cheap to own if you can afford payments. So not sure why all the hate...
I'm sure we will meet up. I know I'll be active in the Georgia Broncos group and gatherings. We'll be more places than just Georgia for sure. This Bronco community will be an active and lively bunch. Heck, look at all of us here. :LOL:

The hate comes from envy and I'm used to it. The cars are coveted and are aspirational; he's just not in one or at least not yet. More important things to focus on, but there are always opinions like those in BimmerPost from non-owners and those who got fleeced for some "deal" at one of those shady lots where it was like, "Wow, a 10 year old 335i or the 3 year old Focus, so of course the 335i makes the most sense, right?" Uhh, no. Great mod platform though and good track day rides.

I've never let one get over 75K for us before selling or lease end, but yes, 100K is easy and a cheap cost of ownership if you can afford the payment.

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC (2010), '21 Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

JohnMcClane

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
im 2 door with 2.7 auto and sas.

what would my mpg be like do you think
You should be close to 20 on highway I would think, but SAS comes with a taller gear 4.7, so you'll run at a higher RPM on the highway, increasing fuel consumption, this may be offset by the larger wheels, like many have said, the majority of your fuel burn is going to be spent getting to highway speed.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks man and that's one hell of a break in, so I have noted what you wrote here and be careful with revs that first year. I don't even know if Ford ships these new vehicles with synthetic oil or not? If not, I will be switching to synthetic once I research which oil works best in Ford engines.

BTW, when I said 89 octane, made a mistake. I meant 87 octane. Been a while since I could run regular gas, and look forward to going back to it! :)
You don’t have to lay off the motor IMO, they just don’t seem to really hit their stride fuel mileage wise until then. It has been consistent on all of the Fords I have had in recent memory. I think normal break in process is likely adequate. For me it’s try not to run a constant speed the first 1k miles or so, change the oil and filter, slowly run the motor a bit harder for the next couple of tanks, check the oil after another 1k miles and if all is good, drive it like you stole it (or however you normally would). I never baby my new motors and have read a bunch of different engineering opinions on the subject. I am sure Turbos have their own issues and If anything, I have become a bit more picky about oil and oil change frequency. I was a Ford Morocraft synthetic blend, 5k change guy pre-turbo and am now with turbos, I am a Mobil 1 GFI current spec, full synthetic 5k guy (It’s probably overkill, but if I go over by a few hundred miles, I feel like the synthetic gives me some wiggle room). No intention of starting an oil discussion btw. Everyone can do what they want and I don’t really care what anyone else does 😅

JohnMcClane

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This may not be a hot take, but food for thought since mileage has been mentioned.

I care zero about mileage, however, getting the 2.3L with the stick ;), then using the savings ($3500 on BL) for tune, downpipes, exhaust, and inter cooler hasn’t left my mind.

Would it put out the same power as an upgraded 2.7L? Probably not, would it be fun? Probably Yes

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Imagine a comma had been used......

This: ....... with the 2.7L, and stick with the stock 33" KO2s.....
Not this: ...... with the 2.7L and stick, with the stock 33" KO2s.......

"Let's eat, mom"

"Let's eat mom"

Punctuation saves lives :ROFLMAO:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

4.70 gear and the 10spd will do just fine, this isnt the old days of 5 spd transmission. yes the MT will suffer.
Sponsored