First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Toyota/Lexus Hilux is a truck, maybe youā€™re thinking the GX series which is the rebadged variant if the Land Cruiser?

Either way, my question out of curiosity was why build two different vehicles for a global market (Hilux) and in this case a North America only vehicle with the Tacoma. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
D26793A8-6C25-4126-8ED1-DEDAF8384EEB.jpeg
CC9ADACC-E360-4BA2-98BF-2C0E06D31A66.jpeg
Yeah, I was thinking of the wrong vehicle. The GX is sold as a Prado in other markets. Itā€™s smaller than a Land Cruiser. I think it shares the 4Runner frame.

I always see foreign trucks that I want. I would the Jimney as a little off road toy

Jtycho

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Allroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the point. There's a million other options if you want a boring roof.
Sort of, but thereā€™s only one other option if you want a stick shift.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're changing the terms then the answer changes. Most Bronco's ever built were not designed for the doors to be readily removable, that was previously always the provenance of Jeep -- so no, I would not say door removability is part of "the whole spirit of a 'Bronco'". Similarly the last half of Bronco's history, in which most of the units were produced, the top was officially not meant to be removed (it was bolted on and for legal reasons directions on how to remove it were not even part of the owners manual) -- so again no, I would not say top removability was part of "the whole spirit of a Bronco" if Ford wasn't willing to even acknowledge it.

But if you're trying to change the terms to be specifically about the 2020, became 2021, became late 2020's Bronco then those features were certainly part of the design intentions from the beginning, but not for any "spiritual" reason, Ford just decided to copy popular features from a competitor.
Your point is all about the 80/90s boats...that's not what Bronco coming back is about, it is about the iconic Bronco.....the Gen 1. The one that people instantly visualize with the roof and doors off....that is a critical piece of "the whole spirit of a Bronco", and without it, you don't have a "real" Bronco....and it would have no soul.

Sponsored

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Regardless of what is or isn't "Bronco", my main interest in this vehicle is that it's cool, it's new, and it has a removable roof. Would I consider it w/o the removable roof? I'd still be tempted by the stick shift option and the great styling... but no, out of the much wider range of non-roof-removable options, I would probably not pick this.

....so it's pretty awesome that the roof IS removable (again, speaking for myself). Because of that, I'm all-in on the "I'm bying a sick AF new Bronco" team šŸ» šŸ» šŸ»

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes! Definitely!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Disclaimer: No smartassness here, real question, two dudes in the shop talking ---So, I have to ask. Considering the convertible Stang costs more and all around performance is less than a hard top, not to mention cowl shake, why on Earth did you buy a convertible over a hard top?
Convertible top is a notch-back. Hard top is that stupid fastback "style". It sucked in 1966 and it still sucks now.

Rear seat headroom in the convertible is 3" higher than the fastback, so I can fit the kids in back if absolutely necessary. Also, drop top is super convenient for loading the back seat on a trip. Drop the top, throw your suitcase and guitar in the back, put the top back up.

And with the top down, you can put ridiculously large things in the back. The Home Depot guys give you really weird looks when you load a 50 gallon hot water heater in the back seat though.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Convertible top is a notch-back. Hard top is that stupid fastback "style". It sucked in 1966 and it still sucks now.

Rear seat headroom in the convertible is 3" higher than the fastback, so I can fit the kids in back if absolutely necessary. Also, drop top is super convenient for loading the back seat on a trip. Drop the top, throw your suitcase and guitar in the back, put the top back up.

And with the top down, you can put ridiculously large things in the back. The Home Depot guys give you really weird looks when you load a 50 gallon hot water heater in the back seat though.
Well ok, makes perfect sense now! I would have never thought of that! My wife had a Chrysler Town & Country Mini Van when we met, we would go to Lowe's and get plywood for different projects and on more than one occasion the employees were shocked when they could put 4 full sheets of plywood in that thing!

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm really surprised how many people only care about the removable roof. I view it as the most capable all around 4X4 produced to date. I don't care to be seen by others for status and I think it's rude for others to have to listen to your music. They can JB weld mine on.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For now, my household has decided against buying a Bronco, but if we did decide to get one, we would 100% choose the most fixed roof possible. No removable panels, sun roofs, or additional features desired here.

What I don't understand in this dead horse of a thread, is all the people saying, "If you don't want a removable roof, buy another SUV, there are lots." There are only a few options that have off road capabilities even remotely comparable to a Bronco, and those options get dismissed if you want any combination of front and rear lockers, 35s, or a manual transmission.

I think it was probably a good choice by Ford to make the roof and doors removable, as there are clearly buyers very passionate about these options. However, if the market has an appetite for it, maybe making a one piece, fixed roof for buyers who have no intention of removing the roof, would make sense. The fixed roof option would still be technically removable, like some past generation Broncos.
Sponsored